Ransom 920 initial Review & Newbie Post

H.E.

May 31, 2021
the mountains
Hi,

i recently bought a Ransom Eride 920 and thought i do a little Review on it.

Background: Have an Bafang add on Motor Ebike,
perfectly fine for touring but has quite some limitations on Trail and technical uphill sections.

So I as looking for a new one with the focus on natural trails, found a couple of interesting bikes.

Next step was test riding the Motors, only tested the Bosch – had the opportunity to lend rent a levo,
but the levo was not really an option for me (Not the right package, price, battery price)

Other bikes where mostly from Direct to consumer Brands with other motors,
so I looked for a Scott retailer and surprisingly they actually had one.

Bought it in Small then – Scott sizing would be a medium but after a short test ride I was quite confident that this will work.
I Think that the Ransom offers a good package for a pretty good price, especially for a shop brand.

Now the bike itself:

My impressions so far:

Rear Suspension is really good, after the initial Setup I made two adjustments was pretty easy.
Fork took longer to dial in think i'm there but it needs at least one token.

Never had a Sram Shifter but it works quite good also did adjust to this 1-Klick “Safety Feature” pretty quick. Must add that if a cheap Multi Shifter would be available I would use that.

Shimano brakes was a pro for me so I dont have to change it, i'm used to that the levers, have the Bleeding kit and the break pads. Its the no name 4 Piston break I would have bought(if available) in case of Magura. Little downsides are: Disc Rotors are for Resin only and the Caliper is not threaded so you can not use the Screw to hold the pads.

Dropper Post works so far but unfortunately the hub on the small frame is not that great.

The Tyres: I love the Assegai in front, the Dissector however is not really useful atm because the ground is still pretty wet
due the snow and it will stay that way for some time. Dont have Experience with Maxxis tyres but the Dissector reminds me
of the Conti TrailKing also rolls pretty good but only works good when its dry.

Now how does it ride:

Downhill:

Its pretty awesome. You can let it go most of the times and yet its good to control, the big front tyre feels really precise so I can set it exactly where I want it if necessary very impressed with that could be the stiffness of the fork. The bike generally feels really stable when you let it go while but it still nice to handle.

Uphill:

So was actually pleased how that thing climbs. Feels Goat alike but with pedals that hit Objects all the time. I knew that Scott mounted the rear shock upside down – I belive they to this on the other bikes so the can route the cable to the remote lockout through the downtube, here the only thing it does it to make it hard to get to the lever on the shock, however I just leave it open all the time and it just works.

Others
Bike has limited steering so the fork does not hit the frame – only works in one direction since a the bike fell over.
Color also looks quite different to the pictures on the website.

Did 400km on the bike and still absolutely pleased about the performance and the potential of that bike.

Hope that was somewhat useful and counts as newbie post.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles