Rail Rear Mudguards

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What's everyone using this winter? I've got a Mudhugger that keeps the crap off me pretty well, but there's still a massive build-up on top of the lower pivot/loam shelf. Any suggestions of what to use to protect that part?

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Muckynutz Front short fits like a dream. Just need to drill four holes to mount it to the seat stay bridge.
File_000.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Have you got any pics of how you mounted it and how it fits around the lower pivot?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
ive got the mudhugger as well , I know what you mean . Mud piles up behind the motor on that lower pivot .
I spent an hour chopping one of those flexy mucky nuts things to fit the lower part , but it looked so crap I decided I would live with without .
problem is there’s not enough clearance under the bridge for using anything that has that kind of fitting so it has to go over the bridge and then just under the mudhugger to . Iam sure some time and more chopping will get something working .

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Have you got any pics of how you mounted it and how it fits around the lower pivot?
IMG_1613.JPG

I drilled four holes to mount it using cable ties on the seat stay bridge and used the standard mounting holes on the seat stays with a bit of rubber mastic tape between the guard and the seat stays in case it rubbed the paint off. Don't attach it at the bottom to the chain stays as it moves up as the suspension compresses. Frame is a L but as far as I know the rear triangle is the same on all sizes. @Tony.OK gave me the tip and he has the same mounted on an aluminium Rail 9 so it works on both carbon and aluminium frames.

Edit: Mino link is set in high position for the technical trails I like to ride. Might have to attack it with a heat gun a bit to make it work in the low position.

Last edited:

Trekka

Jan 24, 2022
UK
What's everyone using this winter? I've got a Mudhugger that keeps the crap off me pretty well, but there's still a massive build-up on top of the lower pivot/loam shelf. Any suggestions of what to use to protect that part?
[/QU
Hi I had the same issue on my rail...so I have designed and made a protection flap for this pivot area ... can purchase on ebay £7.50 works great. I've attached some pics after muddy ride...
OTE]

20220112_114115.jpg

20220115_121607.jpg

20220115_121723.jpg

20220115_121741.jpg

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Muckynutz Front short fits like a dream. Just need to drill four holes to mount it to the seat stay bridge. View attachment 50720

I tried a Muckynutz as you suggested, rather than a dream I found it a bit of a mare. Just not enough tyre clearance.

Sicomtb do a Trek specific one but that comes in at £40 with delivery. which I think is a bit rich.

I ended up making a flap out of neoprene, just to cover the gap in the swing arm as others have done. Even made a couple for two mates who also have Rails. Mud still accumulates but is easily knocked off and doesn't collect in the gap.

Wonder if this would be any good?

Last edited:

JW427

Oct 3, 2022
Essex
Hi All, Now the proper British weather is upon us I got a mate to print me off some rear pivot guards, see the 3D print file online and they turned out well, some double sided 3m tape and stayed on so far, one sloppy wet ride later proved them well and stayed put, looking at a trip upto Peaks soon so real test up their of it, will see. all works well with my RRP mudguards, with the bike being dark grey and the 3D part black it blends in well.

Screenshot 2022-11-14 103341.jpg Screenshot 2022-11-14 103414.jpg Screenshot 2022-11-14 103438.jpg Screenshot 2022-11-14 103504.jpg image_2022-11-14_104352608.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles