Rail rear mudguard

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
After the plastering of mud everything got at the weekend, I decided to try a rear mudguard.
I bought a front Mudhugger, and chopped an inch off the end as it starts to curve towards the tyre. I then had to mark 4 spots and drill 4 holes for the bar at the top of the seat stays.

Megan @ Invisiframe was nice enough to send me a sheet of offcut, so I fitted this to my seat stays to give extra protection.

Looks ok (better than my full sized rear Mudhugger), and will hopefully keep the rear shock and dropper clean. Will see how it works at the weekend.

6CF5CF6C-D6C6-49E8-B555-97E374172FF0.jpeg
F46B67EA-19BB-4EB6-AC6B-1726EBEC1CDA.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Change of topic but what's your opinion of the the AXS system?

Early days, as I’ve only ridden the bike twice!

Really happy with it so far - instant shifting and very smooth. Still have to think about which button to press on the shifter, as the button layout is not what I’m used to.
The RockShox reverb dropper is awesome. You can haul the seat post straight out without having to worry about the attached cable!

Might be a different opinion in a few months when I forget to charge the batteries and get stuck mid ride ?
I have actually ordered a spare AXS battery to keep in my pack just incase!

plu29um

Apr 24, 2019
Denmark
I run the AXS dropper and gearshift on my PowerFly. I have set it up so the that the left button shifts to bigger ring and the lower right button to smaller ring. The upper right button controls the dropper. Now that I have unfucked my mind from the traditional way of shifting both up and down with my right hand, this makes so much sense to me.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Did you start with the longer or the shorter mudhugger?

I have the shorter one on the front, and that’s the longer one on the back with about an inch off it.

I have the full sized rear one which has been on and off my old bike. Works a treat, but looks appalling!!

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
I have the shorter one on the front, and that’s the longer one on the back with about an inch off it.

I have the full sized rear one which has been on and off my old bike. Works a treat, but looks appalling!!
What about just trying shorter one on rear?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
What about just trying shorter one on rear?

You still need to cut the end off, as it’s shaped toward the tyre. Due to the angle of the seat stays, it would catch on the tyre.
Hard to explain - I’ll take a photo tonight!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The bit that needs cut off - where it curls down towards the tyre. When fitted on the rear, this caught on the tyre tread.

4C71E3D3-C78E-4ED6-B7F4-E9E26A0DC48B.jpeg

Front ‘short’ one is much shorter than the normal one. Only goes forward about 3cm.

E0D14BC3-82FB-434A-8C63-203FB25C58DD.jpeg

Large front one fills the gap below the seat stays, and gives a bit of protection above for the dropper post...

208A9344-D4B4-4C8D-975F-84D87C97BAEC.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Just back from a really muddy ride, and the 2x Mudhugger combo seems to work very well. My rear triangle was pretty clean at the end, with none of the pivot points having much dirt on them. There was a small amount gathered above the cranks - but my first 2 rides in significantly less muddy conditions had MUCH more mud gathered there. To the point I had to pick most of it off by hand as I didn’t want to go overboard spraying the hose near the motor!
Seat post was mainly clean, with a bit of dirt gathered under the seat. My backpack was also surprisingly clean - I think most of the dirt on it was there when I started!

You can see from the picture of underneath the downtube how thick the mud was!
Clearly the forum wants to rotate all the portrait shots to landscape, so apologies for the squint photos!!

Overall, I’m pretty pleased with the results... and they don’t actually look THAT bad!

DB444A5F-1E26-4660-A580-832D4689C2E3.jpeg

F3134216-C3AA-4DAD-BE4F-7BDE80040B88.jpeg

E64A6643-11B3-44F8-B313-61F5DFB0C2FF.jpeg

1214F224-C916-459D-97E5-DAC6FBA80B2F.jpeg

C0E91946-30D7-4FD0-ACCE-8E724F878F3F.jpeg

B55AA238-478B-4F8A-8AE4-2F70937550A0.jpeg

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
After the plastering of mud everything got at the weekend, I decided to try a rear mudguard.
I bought a front Mudhugger, and chopped an inch off the end as it starts to curve towards the tyre. I then had to mark 4 spots and drill 4 holes for the bar at the top of the seat stays.

Megan @ Invisiframe was nice enough to send me a sheet of offcut, so I fitted this to my seat stays to give extra protection.

Looks ok (better than my full sized rear Mudhugger), and will hopefully keep the rear shock and dropper clean. Will see how it works at the weekend.

View attachment 25054 View attachment 25055
Can I ask where you actually attached the mudhugger at the back please?
I've just fitted the same but the other way around to yours (the MH logo is at the top on mine) This gives full coverage right down past the motor.
I have it cable tied around the bit at the bottom (above the motor), the bar at the top of the seatstays and the side seatstays.
I've not ridden it like this yet but I sat on the bike (and compressed the suspension) and the cable ties broke on the top of the seatstay.
Now you can see the whole mudguard moving down with the wheel when the suspension is compressed (and probably rubbing the paint on the inside of that top seatstay bar :rolleyes:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I've just fitted the same but the other way around to yours (the MH logo is at the top on mine) This gives full coverage right down past the motor.
I have it cable tied around the bit at the bottom (above the motor), the bar at the top of the seatstays and the side seatstays.
I've not ridden it like this yet but I sat on the bike (and compressed the suspension) and the cable ties broke on the top of the seatstay.
Now you can see the whole mudguard moving down with the wheel when the suspension is compressed (and probably rubbing the paint on the inside of that top seatstay bar :rolleyes:

I haven’t had this bike since mid February, when I swapped it for a Levo SL.
Looks from the pics that I attached it to the seat stays, and 2 zip ties onto the bar across the top of the seat stays.
I know I drilled new holes for these zip ties... but I can’t remember if that was for the Rail or for the Levo. Perhaps both, as it has a few holes in it now!

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
I haven’t had this bike since mid February, when I swapped it for a Levo SL.
Looks from the pics that I attached it to the seat stays, and 2 zip ties onto the bar across the top of the seat stays.
I know I drilled new holes for these zip ties... but I can’t remember if that was for the Rail or for the Levo. Perhaps both, as it has a few holes in it now!
Ahh ok, thanks for coming back to me. I think I've made a mistake attaching it at the bottom...
I might take it off and do it again, thanks anyway.(y)

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Attaching to the seat stay "bridge" and seat stays is the way to go. As the suspension compresses these move up and away from the chain stays.

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
I've just re-installed my Mudhugger on the back of the Rail (FYI its a Mudhugger FRX front)
I decided to use some velcro along the seatstay bridge and velcro straps instead of cable ties on the seatstays and seems pretty solid.
As promised here are some photos. As you'll see I still get full coverage down past the motor which is what I wanted.
This should stop the build up of crap that seems to appear there after every ride...
Hope this helps anyone else looking for a similar solution.
IMG_20201218_121438.jpg
IMG_20201218_121503.jpg
IMG_20201218_121517.jpg
IMG_20201218_121532.jpg
IMG_20201218_121614.jpg

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
I've put a bit of rubber mastic tape (3M 2228) between the guard and the frame but it only rubs on the tape so probably not strictly needed.

Reactions: Pan

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
this combination is effective , long mudhugger rear and pro guard front .
the front pro guard is quite close fitting with the zeb fork but ok on my local non sticky mud .
crud xl front fender would be better for more clearance .
at the risk of offending the rears shown on here so far will be about as much use as a chocolate teapot for keeping your back clean and will clog up at the first bit of mud .
AC80B43F-FD67-48E3-834A-9DA71D3B5C3F.jpeg

Sendit

Oct 17, 2019
Netherlands
The bit that needs cut off - where it curls down towards the tyre. When fitted on the rear, this caught on the tyre tread.

View attachment 25179

Front ‘short’ one is much shorter than the normal one. Only goes forward about 3cm.

View attachment 25180

Large front one fills the gap below the seat stays, and gives a bit of protection above for the dropper post...

View attachment 25181
Is the large front muguard the same length on the backside as the short one? (i can see that the frontside is shorter on the short one)
TIA

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
this combination is effective , long mudhugger rear and pro guard front .
the front pro guard is quite close fitting with the zeb fork but ok on my local non sticky mud .
crud xl front fender would be better for more clearance .
at the risk of offending the rears shown on here so far will be about as much use as a chocolate teapot for keeping your back clean and will clog up at the first bit of mud .
View attachment 50816
Hopefully mudhugger makes production version of the prototype that has longer protection for the seattube. I couldn't care less of the looks as long as it makes washing the bike easier.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Hopefully mudhugger makes production version of the prototype that has longer protection for the seattube. I couldn't care less of the looks as long as it makes washing the bike easier.
Now modified mine with a front mudhugger attached to the rear , works very well

727A5965-58A9-482D-BF27-DC1BF0D8E1CB.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

I put this on to keep the bike clean, not my back. At the risk of offending, the full size Mud Hugger looks awful - and I’d rather have a dirty back!

Now modified mine with a front mudhugger attached to the rear , works very well

If my effort was going to clog at the first sign of mud, I imagine doing the same and putting another MudHugger ontop if it would have much the same ‘as much use as a chocolate teapot’ effect?! ?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I put this on to keep the bike clean, not my back. At the risk of offending, the full size Mud Hugger looks awful - and I’d rather have a dirty back!

If my effort was going to clog at the first sign of mud, I imagine doing the same and putting another MudHugger ontop if it would have much the same ‘as much use as a chocolate teapot’ effect?! ?
Look closer at it , it’s all above the bridge not under it , there is good clearance everywhere . It copes with all my worst local conditions , luckily I don’t encounter that kind of sticky stuff that just stops wheels turning .

19E6982B-57C2-403C-A215-F14B11A2FF1E.jpeg

7FFAE9A7-924D-4C4A-80F2-DD851DFC565C.jpeg

Pan

Oct 27, 2020
Qué. Canada
Look closer at it , it’s all above the bridge not under it , there is good clearance everywhere . It copes with all my worst local conditions , luckily I don’t encounter that kind of sticky stuff that just stops wheels
I presume would not fit without the cut away ?. Did you try to heat gun & deform , prior to going to scalpel ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles