Rail (625Wh) Rail gen 2 vs gen 3

Manicm

Apr 23, 2020
Birmingham
Is it worth the upgrade? Have spotted a new rail 7 at an amazing price but I’ve got a gen 2 rail 7 already and it’s running well, it’s out of warranty so resell won’t be easy unless I give it away.

Is there much of a difference or better to hold off till the autumn and see if there’s a gen 4 in the sales and ride my current one until it inevitably dies?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Not much of a difference. Ride what you have until it's no longer economic to do so, they have the same Bosch CX Gen4 motors. I also have a Rail (2022, 5 much modified) now out of warranty btw. If my motor shits itself I'll take it to the motor centre in Fordingbridge. eBike Motor Repairs & Servicing - Homepage

Last edited:

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
The shop I work at sells Trek among others. I just bought one of the Gen 2 Rail 7's that are on sale. Only difference I see is the Smart System display and software. This wasn't important to me as I always ride in Turbo, and the Gen 2 allows the same max speed/power control and limits via the Bosch software updates. I'm not as much into the wiz-bang elements like being able to use a smart phone with the bike, etc. I want full power and that's about it. The bikes are essentially identical in components and frame. Nothing wrong with the wiz-bang stuff. :)

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Gen 4 is modern geometry, the rest are not. I really wish trek would update the alloy frames geometry so I could recommend them. Now if they could just keep the batteries in the frame while riding.😳

Manicm

Apr 23, 2020
Birmingham
Never had an issue with my current rail. Except the locking chainring nut but that appears to be ok….currently..

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Gen 4 is modern geometry, the rest are not. I really wish trek would update the alloy frames geometry so I could recommend them. Now if they could just keep the batteries in the frame while riding.😳
On the geometry issue, actually there are reviews by a few that state the previous geometry is superior to the new geometry...at least on the carbon 9-series. I don't believe the aluminum versions have changed, but I won't swear to that. What do you find wrong with the previous aluminum models' geometry?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I've had a Rail 7 for two years (and two motors) but with the current amazing deals I was tempted and bought a 9.8 gen 3 with the 750 wh battery and the new geometry, apparently.
All I can say is, geometry is over rated as I can feel no real difference between my 7 and 9.8 geometry wise, but maybe they have changed it again for the Gen 4.

Last edited:

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
My wife has the rail 7 Gen 2, we have just purchased another for my son the Gen 3, difference is the control unit and you can connect via the app and change some settings etc, nothing much else to be honest. from a gen 2 to a gen 3 it would be down to personal choice I think and what you want to spend we got a great deal for the Gen 3 and my son liked the prismatic colour, thats all it came down to for us :) if you can wait for the gen 4 do so apparently a few changes coming this time but you never know with trek they have not changed much but the electrics for a while now.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Treks tend to have slack seat tube angles, slack seat angles suck for tech climbing . The gen 4 has good numbers, the rest, not so much.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Treks tend to have slack seat tube angles, slack seat angles suck for tech climbing . The gen 4 has good numbers, the rest, not so much.
That is totally preferential, depending on where you ride, how you ride, and what you ride. Also there is the fact that most emtb's have the battery located in the front downtube. I know you know that adds weight to the front, hence climbing benefit. The emtb changes a lot of our concepts of traditional frame and suspension numbers. 😄

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
... I know you know that adds weight to the front, hence climbing benefit. The emtb changes a lot of our concepts of traditional frame and suspension numbers. 😄

A motor with weight in the front means you can climb very silly steep stuff and quickly. Until the battery runs out of course.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
That is totally preferential, depending on where you ride, how you ride, and what you ride. Also there is the fact that most emtb's have the battery located in the front downtube. I know you know that adds weight to the front, hence climbing benefit. The emtb changes a lot of our concepts of traditional frame and suspension numbers. 😄
OMG, guess you did not do well in math class. Slack seat angles put your butt and a large portion of your weight over the rear wheel, you are telling me a 6-8 pound battery is offsetting your 140-180 pound butt? I guess all the extra weight over the front wheel means the front wheel on e bikes never washes out in turns. Your body is the heaviest thing on your e bike. Good geometry that came out in 2015-2017 places all that weight that is you in a better place than old geometry. If you have not been on a bike with a 78-80 degree seat tube angle , please get out and try it.

Ride 2d@y

Jul 12, 2023
Mexico
I think too steep seat angle can diminish pedaling/comfort. Try shifting weight forward or better yet, drop saddle and sit on 'whale tail' part of saddle for the tech climbs - yes counter intuitive I know.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
OMG, guess you did not do well in math class. Slack seat angles put your butt and a large portion of your weight over the rear wheel, you are telling me a 6-8 pound battery is offsetting your 140-180 pound butt? I guess all the extra weight over the front wheel means the front wheel on e bikes never washes out in turns. Your body is the heaviest thing on your e bike. Good geometry that came out in 2015-2017 places all that weight that is you in a better place than old geometry. If you have not been on a bike with a 78-80 degree seat tube angle , please get out and try it.
A lot has changed with emtb's. With a motor and a battery, weight bias has changed. Pedal assist has also changed the way the rider makes effort without having to sit on the handlebar and furiously pump to get up climbs. As you said..."please get out and try it".

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
A lot has changed with emtb's. With a motor and a battery, weight bias has changed. Pedal assist has also changed the way the rider makes effort without having to sit on the handlebar and furiously pump to get up climbs. As you said..."please get out and try it".
So much has changed that trek gen 4 has a steeper seat angle than the gen 2 and 3 rail.. so I guess trek agrees with me. Oh and telling someone that bought his first mountain bike new in 1988 to get out and try it is a real lol.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
So much has changed that trek gen 4 has a steeper seat angle than the gen 2 and 3 rail.. so I guess trek agrees with me. Oh and telling someone that bought his first mountain bike new in 1988 to get out and try it is a real lol.
Don't feel so bad. I know lots of people who have been involved in and doing different types of activities for a very long time who still don't know everything there is to know about it. :ROFLMAO:

I've been working on and racing dirt motors since the early 70's. That doesn't make me an expert in all things dirt bike. I learn something new every now and then. Apparently you are very happy with a certain geometry and setup, and that's good for you. But really, there is no one size fits all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles