Rail Carbon vs Aluminum

cohen2717

May 21, 2020
Monterey, CA
Considering the Rail 7 and 9.7, and just curious what thoughts are on the carbon frame being worth the extra $500. I also prefer the shimano drivetrain, and would probably switch to it on the 9.7 anyways. $500 for carbon is reasonable, but it seems with the pedal assist the money would be better spent on suspension upgrades. Has anyone been able to get some decent rides on both?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
IMO at that price point go for the best spec of components - the carbon frame won't make any difference, whereas the kit on it will. Its only really at the very top end where the carbon frame on an EMTB might make any noticeable difference when it is paired up with top of the line everything, to the weight, and therefore handling of the bike.

Ride quality wise on an EMTB you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference.

So basically go for the one with the better components/components that you like.

mtndug

May 21, 2020
Ashland Oregon, USA
I got the Rail 9.7 with shimano and its my first carbon bike, having always ridden aluminum or steel. The suspension system was my deciding factor. The I love the reactive shock system and I knew I'd not be happy with a lessor suspension and would be in the market for an upgrade. As is, the bike needs no upgrades, I'm really happy with how it all works together.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
I got the Rail 9.7 with shimano and its my first carbon bike, having always ridden aluminum or steel. The suspension system was my deciding factor. The I love the reactive shock system and I knew I'd not be happy with a lessor suspension and would be in the market for an upgrade. As is, the bike needs no upgrades, I'm really happy with how it all works together.

Suggest you spend the extra $500 on the Rail 9.7 w/ carbon. I like the stiffness of a carbon frame. It’s not a weight savings issue with an emtb.

I have a 2020 Trek Powerfly LT 9.7 Carbon. It’s pretty tough and durable. Shimano 4 pole brakes and Shram Eagle running gear.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
The arguement for aluminium:

1. The new Trek Session is only being produced in aluminium due to the ride characteristics...

2. Matt Walker is going for an aluminium front frame again this season, I assume due to the ride characteristics...

3. The new Specialized Levo has put on a lot of weight vs the older models, so Specialized do not see extra weight as a problem for ebikes. So the arguement of carbon being better because it is lighter is not really valid.

I went with an aluminium frame based on price. I could not see the value of paying a lot of money to lose a small percentage of overall bike weight.

However, I might have a better frame for the ride characteristics by going for aluminium

Last edited:

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
The arguement for aluminium:

1. The new Trek Session is only being produced in aluminium due to the ride characteristics...

2. Matt Walker is going for an aluminium front frame again this season, I assume due to the ride characteristics...

3. The new Specialized Levo has put on a lot of weight vs the older models, so Specialized do not see extra weight as a problem for ebikes. So the arguement of carbon being better because it is lighter is not really valid.

I went with an aluminium frame based on price. I could not see the value of paying a lot of money to lose a small percentage of overall bike weight.

However, I might have a better frame for the ride characteristics by going for aluminium
I have both a carbon and aluminum Ebike. I like my carbon bike not because of weight. I like it because of stiffness over aluminum. My aluminum Kenevo frame creaks. My carbon trek does not.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I was gonna get the 9.7 but ended up getting the7. I tend to upgrade everything, and on the the 9.7 I would have upgraded everything but the frame. On the 7, The drivetrain was the only part that remains...which will still be upgraded to full XT once the stock wears out. I will say that I do like the sound of carbon frames over alu.....Carbon much more muted....but I'm not really bothered by bike sounds...so it wasn't a factor in my decision.

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
arguement against aluminium:
1- DH frame to not sell well, and carbon cost are expensive. Especially for "testing the water" with a new suspension design
2- Aluminium allows custom frames and fit
An heavy front triangle is good for suspension, but on an eBike you already have the motor and battery weight.
3- New Levo is for the American market, with clean bikes parks. Previous one was developped in Swiss for alpine ridding in natural trails.
With the introduction of the Levo SL and the new burly levo, Specialized split the old levo in two, segmenting the market.

I have a Rail carbon with carbon wheelset. I like the stiffness while riding, and the weight while lifting the bike other fences, other the aluminium version.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It's all about the weight for me. I have a back problem. So heaving the bike over styles, gates and walls etc is a real thing for me. It is one of the reasons I went for the Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE. with the carbon frame and its 378Whr battery and tubeless, it only weighs 20.4 kg in a size Large. Even with the TEC pack fitted it still only weighs 22.6Kg and that's with 756Whr! The carbon frame saved a kilo vs aluminium.

A Kilo isn't much, but there is a straw that breaks the camel's back and this camel wasn't going to take any chances. :)

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
I have both a carbon and aluminum Ebike. I like my carbon bike not because of weight. I like it because of stiffness over aluminum. My aluminum Kenevo frame creaks. My carbon trek does not.
Agreed. The stiffer aspect of the carbon frame is what I noticed and enjoy the most. Especially when jumping. It feels like the frame remains rigid and allows the suspension to do the compressing. Either way, both are great bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles