Rail 9 Kiox - warning!!!

Makende

Nov 15, 2018
Malvern Hills
Had an innocuous off on Thursday night entering into a little downhill section. Jumped back on the bike and rode the rest of the section. Got to the bottom went to ride away….no motor.. looked down and my Kiox unit wasn’t there!! There began a long slog back up the hill where, luckily, my mates had dug through the brambles and found the unit lurking in the undergrowth.
Now looking at adding a bit more security to the mount, maybe a bit of Velcro.

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
Happened to me a few times. After falls or close encounters with trees, had to walk back and look for the thing.

I decided not to secure it (u can, with a screw to the base). If it was secured it would have broke or made some damage to the base. So after a fall or a close encounter with a tree I always check it's still there.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I knocked mine off crossing a river. Luckily it kept working and I found it next to a rock under 30cm of water as I could suddenly see the light from the screen. It hasn't happened since though, but its a weak point

Last edited:

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Glad I saw this tread
I got my rail 9 back on Friday about to go out tomorrow and I said to the bike shop anyone lost there Kiox as the magnets don’t seam that strong

the bike shop said no never there plenty strong enough 😂.
Will look at way of making it more secure now

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
How do you attach The lanyard to the display ?
There is a dedicated slot for one at the back. This is mine, lanyard previously used on an old camera.
The other end fits over the display, so I just ‘lark’s foot’ it to a convenient control cable or brake line.

Kiox.JPG

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There is a dedicated slot for one at the back. This is mine, lanyard previously used on an old camera.
The other end fits over the display, so I just ‘lark’s foot’ it to a convenient control cable or brake line.
I’ve been using this similar method of tethering the Kiox to an attachment point but also have a disconnect of some sort.

I had the ah-ha moment when I noticed the Kiox was missing after a long decent. Thankfully a friend had an idea of where the Kiox fell off. At the exit of a hidden trail there it was. I had busted through some tall bushes at the exit and a limb had likely knocked off the Kiox. Since I was using gravity on my decent I hadn’t noticed it was missing …until I wanted peddle assist again.

I credited myself with the idea but in reality it was probably posted deep on these forums in the past and I glanced over the issue. Losing the Kiox on a trail would suck but I’m glad 🙂 I’ve used a tether. I’m in the process of moving the stem mounted Kiox to the top tube (Rail 9.7) since I only use the digital clock and mode-colour while I’m riding. It’ll clear-up the cockpit a bit too. But now I need a new stem dust cap. (Epic review of my new stem-dust-cap soon).😉

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Not sure if the Kiox comes in different flavours but mine screws onto the mount & so can't be knocked off. I can see the downsides people might attribute to that but it certainly works. On the lanyard thing, it pays to ensure the usb port cover isn't dislodged open. Get water in there & you probably kill it.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Upgraded to the Kiox a few years ago. It was mounted were the stem cap usually goes and was easy to see but also easy to knock off. After we found my Kiox laying in the bushes once I decided to attach a lanyard and clip. Seemed to work out fine. Then I had a few OTB’s and cracked the clamp on the controller but the Kiox just hung along side of the frame.
Since then I have found that I mainly use the digital clock and mode indicator while I’m riding. The controller still clamps to the bar(barely) but I decided to move the Kiox to the top tube. (See review “Into The Gnar”). I’ve been on a “clean-cockpit” mission lately also, so the Sram AXS stuff will help.
4F85D45C-166E-4DFE-B43E-6F88982C383F.jpeg

B005C9CD-2F37-4239-9136-A4DA906DCBDD.jpeg
B5F77033-B86A-467D-8E7E-F62FA4635058.jpeg

Still tethered too.

Boltdude

Jan 18, 2022
California, USA
Mine came screw mounted to the base from the Trek shop and I have no complaints. I could see why one would want to be able to take it off as a theft deterrent on a commuter bike but I have no reason personally to ever remove it on an EMTB. Someone mentioned earlier that it could prevent breakage of the device in a hard fall if it could break free on impact, although I’d think there would then be a risk of it breaking when it comes off, even when dangling from a lanyard. Note, there is a little play built into the base mount where it attaches to the frame (at least how I have it tightened) which seems to absorb some impact. When I have a hard crash, it is not unusual for the whole unit to rotate on the frame 30 degrees or so.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Mine came screw mounted to the base from the Trek shop and I have no complaints. I could see why one would want to be able to take it off as a theft deterrent on a commuter bike but I have no reason personally to ever remove it on an EMTB. Someone mentioned earlier that it could prevent breakage of the device in a hard fall if it could break free on impact, although I’d think there would then be a risk of it breaking when it comes off, even when dangling from a lanyard. Note, there is a little play built into the base mount where it attaches to the frame (at least how I have it tightened) which seems to absorb some impact. When I have a hard crash, it is not unusual for the whole unit to rotate on the frame 30 degrees or so.
I don’t think the built in magnetic feature is to protect the Kiox. It’s to protect the mount from getting destroyed when you crash or a limb strikes the area. A lanyard only prevents a loss of the Kiox. Bolting the Kiox to the mount, regardless of location(stem or top tube), is fairly risky in the event of a crash or accidentally riding through a bush. That method of attachment could snap the mount. The Kiox itself is fairly robust, but if it’s lost …that would really suck. And I’m only basing this on personal experience… several times.
I don’t over tighten my brake clamps either. I want them to fold under or at least give a little.

Boltdude

Jan 18, 2022
California, USA
I don’t think the built in magnetic feature is to protect the Kiox. It’s to protect the mount from getting destroyed when you crash or a limb strikes the area. A lanyard only prevents a loss of the Kiox. Bolting the Kiox to the mount, regardless of location(stem or top tube), is fairly risky in the event of a crash or accidentally riding through a bush. That method of attachment could snap the mount. The Kiox itself is fairly robust, but if it’s lost …that would really suck. And I’m only basing this on personal experience… several times.
I don’t over tighten my brake clamps either. I want them to fold under or at least give a little.
It’s a tough call with trade offs. Like I said, my entire mount (with Kiox screwed on) seems to give just enough by rotating a bit on impact so hopefully breakage is unlikely. Need to weigh this risk against damage to the actual Kiox unit and the contact pins when the unit is dislodged from the magnetic mount and faced with whatever Mother Nature has to offer. Not sure the best answer but the local Trek techs strongly suggested to keep it screwed on for whatever that’s worth. Just keep the bike upright and on the trail and we should all be fine😂

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It’s a tough call with trade offs. Just keep the bike upright and on the trail and we should all be fine😂
A bit of rotation is a lot better than no rotation. That’ll probably work fine. 👍🏻
About this “upright” thing…let’s do our best 😉.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I hope you get an e-bike specific one.:D

One of the best upgrades I’ve ever done. 😜

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles