Rail (625Wh) Rail 5 Gen 2 vs Gen 3?

Oxon

Jun 30, 2021
The Shire
I’m looking to get myself a first e-bike.
The only one I’ve ridden is my wife’s Powerfly 4 which is a size too small for me. The Bosch motor seems to work well and ive never had issues before with Trek kit so it seems sensible to stick with them.
As I’m planning on going full sus, the Rail 5 or Powerfly FS are the best options for me.

Having read elsewhere on here about the discounts on the 625W Gen 2 bikes, they seem good for my budget.

With the Rail 5, what’s the difference between the Gen 2 and the Gen 3?

shredder

Feb 21, 2023
Fife
Having just bought a gen 2, but not picked it up, the difference I could see was gen 3 has the new Bosch smart system but gen 2 is older, Purion system.

Reason I went gen 2 was the price but also I watched a video showing the controller on the gen 3 isn't brilliant - it showed it was hard to feel if you'd changed the mode etc.

Smart system you can change the way the motor works and more data analysis of your rides but I just want to press turbo and go!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I’m looking to get myself a first e-bike.
The only one I’ve ridden is my wife’s Powerfly 4 which is a size too small for me. The Bosch motor seems to work well and ive never had issues before with Trek kit so it seems sensible to stick with them.
As I’m planning on going full sus, the Rail 5 or Powerfly FS are the best options for me.

Having read elsewhere on here about the discounts on the 625W Gen 2 bikes, they seem good for my budget.

I have Rail 5 Gen 2.

Think the differences are Gen 2 vs Gen3

Cassette: Shimano Deore vs SunRace
Brakes: Shimano MT420 vs Tektro
Rotor: Shimano RT76 203mm vs Tektro

Think Bosch motor is the same, but electronics are Gen 2 vs Gen 3.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong ...

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
11:20 here:
Agree with that video. Upgraded my 2022 Rail 5 Purion with the Kiox Retrofit kit (~£180) which gives me controls by my left hand and with a Cube Kiox holder the Kiox display in my line of sight next to the stem. Does all I want.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
Minor thread reserrection time :oops:

I've recently joined the Emtb world with a new / gen2 Rail 5 (serious discount & abuse of the 'cycle to work' scheme:p)

I have Rail 5 Gen 2.

Think the differences are Gen 2 vs Gen3

Cassette: Shimano Deore vs SunRace
Brakes: Shimano MT420 vs Tektro
Rotor: Shimano RT76 203mm vs Tektro

Think Bosch motor is the same, but electronics are Gen 2 vs Gen 3.

my gen2 is fully Shimano'd but the spec sheet is for sunrace cassette & tektro brakes:unsure:

I think the more important thing to look at is the rear wheelbearing setup as theres reports of failures (warranty replaced), my bike has strippable ballraces and theres also sealed bearings (I've no idea if earlier or later OR what is better / without fault?)

^^ Posting to share info if anyone ever searches these forums in the future.

Rich.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles