• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Quick STRAVA question - Can E-Bike ride be set as the default?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't use the Strava phone App at all. I don't even have GPS on my phone.
I record most of my rides (mainly to log distance ridden) with a dedicated tomtom or Garmin GPS device and Tomtom and Garmin software is set to sync all uploads to strava so they always appear in Strava as bike rides.
I don't see any way in the (Desktop) settings to default to E-bike ride

all my rides are set to private BTW

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not sure if this helps .. certainly not for the tom tom .. and no, there doesn't seem to be the option within Strava itself.

From the Garmin 530 user guide:

Updating Your Activity Profile: You can customize your settings and data fields for a particular activity or trip.

1 Select Menu > Settings > Activity Profiles.
2 Select an option: (I use Train) > Default Ride Type > eBike.

And yes .. people have been asking Strava to implement it for years and years .. but they haven't ..

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Updating Your Activity Profile: You can customize your settings and data fields for a particular activity or trip.

1 Select Menu > Settings > Activity Profiles.
2 Select an option: (I use Train) > Default Ride Type > eBike.

Cheers. The Garmin pretty much resides on my roadbike (I just don't need that level of info on any other bike) so changing garmin settings each time I used it on the Eeb and changing them back would do my head right in. I hate garmin's interface at the best of times.

yes, thats what mine is as default but I use my phone.
Ah.. Thanks. Thought that might be the case. My phone's GPS stopped working a few months back and I came to realise I actually like my phone not knowing where it is/I am so haven't bothered having it fixed.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
i was able to set a default bike in Strava.
using a PC login to their web site, go to settings>gear, select the bike you want as default. Screen shot attached.
I record my rides with Garmin GPS, which auto uploads them to Strava.

D2738766-5B44-4384-9252-028C11A35216.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. My default bike has always been set to my most used bike. sometimes that's my Emtb. other times it's my roadbike or 4X hardtail.
it doesn't recognise the Emtb as anything but just another bike and doesn't upload its rides as ebike rides.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Yeah. My default bike has always been set to my most used bike. sometimes that's my Emtb. other times it's my roadbike or 4X hardtail.
it doesn't recognise the Emtb as anything but just another bike and doesn't upload its rides as ebike rides.
Seems to be device dependant. iPhone I can set as default to ebike (or it will remember the last type selected and use that as default). Apple Watch I can't select a default (ebike ride doesn't even exist on it), it will always upload as regular ride. Really annoying as I often forget to go back in and change it to ebike ride.

ebnash

Aug 16, 2020
Los Gatos, CA
It always amazes me how I can find hundreds of threads on Strava forum with loads of people asking for a specific function and it goes ignored by Strava for a long time. I also don’t know why they don’t post in their own forum to give updates on new features.

I specifically use my Apple Watch for Strava recording and I set it to airplane mode, otherwise the phone gps data is used. The phone is always in my pocket so the data is always fouled. Would really like to be able to start an eBike ride from my watch. Otherwise, the ride gets saved and I will forget to go back and change the ride type.

I don’t understand why when you start an activity on your watch, why it then defaults of phone GPS if it is close enough to the Apple Watch.

Last edited:

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I don’t understand why when you start an activity on your watch, why it then defaults of phone GPS if it is close enough to the Apple Watch.

Simple answer... battery life.
It’s not exclusive to Apple either. My old Tag Heuer Connected did it too.

Your phone has a much bigger battery than your watch, and GPS uses a lot of power. If you use GPS on the watch, you can probably kill it from 100% down to 0 in about 5 or 6 hours (the Tag would last less than 3!).
Not much use for something offering a golf GPS app given that an average round is about 4 hours... so they use the phones bigger battery where possible.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
yes, my girlfriend has setup her strava profile her Levo as default. She tracks with a Garmin Edge, on the Garmin you can set the eBike Profile. The upload to Strava includes the eBike profile from the Garmin Edge (i think all versions 520 up)
Ive tested that also with a Garmin Fenix 6,on this device i couldnt set up a eBike profile.

ebnash

Aug 16, 2020
Los Gatos, CA
Simple answer... battery life.
It’s not exclusive to Apple either. My old Tag Heuer Connected did it too.

While I understand this, I’d still like the option of management, per app. I will always carry my phone on a ride as it’s my lifeline if I need help, plus I need to be reachable for work. When my phone is in my pocket, the generated GPS data is jacked. I’d prefer not to have to mount my phone out on the bike, which is why I wear the watch. It’s not a deal breaker, as I can just put my watch in airplane mode when I start my ride and the data gets recoded from the watch GPS. My problem is remembering to turn off airplane mode when I’m done.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I can confirm you cannot set emtb profile on Fenix watch, so with watch you must manually change Strava activity to ebike. With Garming Edge (530 in my case) you can set emtb profile and it will upload to strava directly as ebike activity.

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
hi guys, i'm facing an annoying issue. by garmin 530 my ride is saved as e-bike ride and i have to change it into e-mtb ride.
someone solved this? the thread doesn't explain if it was solved.
thanks

Last edited:

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Hate bumping an older post but Apple watch has EMTB and E-bike ride on strava now. I was pleasantly surprised

So to make this work, do you have to start Strava on the watch and then start the ride from there? I normally just tell Siri that I am starting a ride and it always defaults to regular bike ride.

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
what i've discovered is that if i don't connect to my levo sl the garming saves the ride as emtb, if i connect to the levo sl the ride is saved as ebike. something with the sensors connected..i supposed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles