Question re spank wheels

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Mainly aimed at owners of the race model with the spank wheels with orange decals , but also applies to the orange model which I think has same rims

My bike and believe all our groups bikes came with a plastic rim strip that fitted the rim , from memory it’s a green or blue rim tape . As you probably know The rims don’t need tape as this rim strip seals as tubeless rather like the mavic system and has worked very well .
When I last took a tyre off I felt it would be good to have a spare set of rim tapes as the tyre bead had stuck to to the tape and I think eventually will stretch and distort it .
I have contacted spank wheels to buy some but they don’t seem to know anything about the plastic rim tapes and seem to think i Want adhesive rim tape .
Iam a bit confused as to where these very good original rim tapes came from , and where I can get new

This is the nearest I can find to it , but I don’t think these are wide enough .
Effetto Caffelatex Rim Strips - Large | Chain Reaction Cycles

Could you tell me what your wheels had fitted , what colour the tape was , and how you have got on with tubeless set up .

Last edited:

Voodoosix

Jul 29, 2018
Va USA
I went tubeless today, the tape was green. Intsallation was a snap and was done 1st try on both tires with just a floor pump. The verdict is still out as I won’t be able to take a proper ride till the weekend. I am a bit leary of the low pressures as I’ve always run a bit high to be on th safe side, but I’ll be carrying spare tubes and a plug kit just in case.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I went tubeless today, the tape was green. Intsallation was a snap and was done 1st try on both tires with just a floor pump. The verdict is still out as I won’t be able to take a proper ride till the weekend. I am a bit leary of the low pressures as I’ve always run a bit high to be on th safe side, but I’ll be carrying spare tubes and a plug kit just in case.

Did your wheels have a green rim band rather than an adhesive tape ? I have asked slang about them but they don’t seem to know where they have come from . The rims should be taped by spank , or have a have a white colour tube protector band . It seems commencal must have used the green rim band , which has worked fine tubeless so far , but Iam still not sure if it was intended for tubeless use .

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
OEM green tape is still working fine after hundreds of miles tubeless with the original tires. I had a slow leak and found the valve to be a bit loose.

IMG.jpg

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It does seem to work very well , although I don’t believe it was really intended for tubeless at all . The bead stick to the rim band and it gets distorted eventually . I’ve recently replaced my front with with the cafe latex brown tubeless tape as shown on the stank video , I did the two wraps overlapping . The rear I’ll do soon when I change the tyre , but it’s still find with the rim band at 1400 miles and 3 or 4 tyre changes etc . I guess with the rim band we’re nit getting the advantage of the soank bead bite ridges ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles