• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Q. Can your shift cable tighten in cold weather

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
Today I ran out of slack on the shifter adjustment, the chain was jumping the first gear sprocket and coming off the cassette. It was -1°C today and would have been about 18°C when I set it up. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The lubricant within the housing might be thickening in the cold, causing excess resistance to cable movement. Cleaning it up is a chore. You could try taking it all apart and douching it out with paraffin or petrol.

I think you already know the best solution to the problem.

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
The lubricant within the housing might be thickening in the cold, causing excess resistance to cable movement. Cleaning it up is a chore. You could try taking it all apart and douching it out with paraffin or petrol.

I think you already know the best solution to the problem.

Thanks Rusty, the cable is nearly 3 years old.

Big Bike Basher

Dec 3, 2023
On my bike
I’m going to try and lube it at both ends before I ride this afternoon, hopefully that should fix it.
Put the mech in the slackest gear tension then without using the shifter push the mech while rotating the gears into the other end of the range.
This will then release the cable tension and you can slide the outer cable around and oil it. Then reseat it correctly,turn the pedals so it changes gears back onto cable tension.
Mind your fingers tho ....😬

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The linear coefficient of thermal expansion steel is about 12 x 10-6 m/mdegC

Let’s assume that a steel cable behaves the same as a steel wire. It probably doesn’t, but it won’t be by a factor large enough to make a significant difference.

That mean that 2 meters of steel cable will shrink by less than half a millimetre over a 19 degC temperature reduction. So the length reduction will not be significant. Don’t forget that your bike frame will be contracting as well, thus reducing the impact of the cable length reduction.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Today I ran out of slack on the shifter adjustment, the chain was jumping the first gear sprocket and coming off the cassette. It was -1°C today and would have been about 18°C when I set it up. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks
Did you make adjustments to shifting and THEN ride at -1c getting bad shifts?
If so, maybe your initial set up was flawed. -1c isn't all that cold and isn't a huge change from 18c. in the context of metal expansion and contraction.
I know some people lube shifter cables, but if you are inclined to do so, something that is a dry lube, like silicone spray, where the carrier liquid evaporates out, might be better, but I wouldn't bother.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Probably just chance and nothing to do with the temperature.

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
I did fix the problom by adjusting the limit screws. What I dont understand is why things have changed.. Thank you all for replying, I’ve learned new things.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles