Putting an emtb on a bike rack without the battery

macinthekitchen

Jun 28, 2020
Ringwood
Need some advice. I need to put my bike on my mates tow bar bike rack and although it's a dual bike rack, we're not sure of its load capacity. His bike is quite light, mine is around 25 kilos with the battery, so anyone see an issue with loading it without the battery in it?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Need some advice. I need to put my bike on my mates tow bar bike rack and although it's a dual bike rack, we're not sure of its load capacity. His bike is quite light, mine is around 25 kilos with the battery, so anyone see an issue with loading it without the battery in it?
You need to know this.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Unless it's specifically rated for ebikes, or rather bikes which weight 25kg then I'd be wary of doing it.

Who makes the rack? Do you know the model? Some of the Thule ones are rated to 46kg which would (probably) be enough to cover the load of the 2 bikes. They usually have a max weight per bike though so although the rack can take 46kg, the clamps might only be rated to 23. Ok, without the battery, you'll be pretty close to this so while it may be outside the load rating, I'd probably do it if it was me.

If the rack only has a capacity of say 30kg, that's only 15kg per bike and you'll be at 25kg just for one.

If you're going to do it, mount the ebike closest to the car. Take the battery off and anything else like frame bags or lights or whatever. Use extra straps to tether the bike to the carrier and the carrier to the car.

That way when the rack breaks or the clamps fail, your ebike won't end up embedded in someone's windscreen.

If it's a good quality rack that's fairly new, you might get away with it. It's a cheapy that's spend a few years in the sun/ rain/ salt then there's no chance I'd risk it personally.

Can you get away with sticking one of the bikes in the car? Or the lighter bike on the roof?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a two-bike rack made for emtbs and fat bikes. It can take up to 60kg, it weighs 18kg. My mate has a similar 2-bike rack that is for ordinary bikes, it weighs 14kg. Soooo, weigh the rack! :)

Not as good as asking the manufacturer, or finding a weight limit on a label, but better than nothing.

macinthekitchen

Jun 28, 2020
Ringwood
Thanks for the tips everyone. My mate and I figured out it was a Decathlon bike rack, and a good guesstimate has it at a limit of 30 kilos. Bit too close to the edge for me, I figured we'd be nearing 40 even without the battery so I'm not going to risk it. Protracted negotiations with the missus and I'm going to use her van :). Now on the hunt for a good bike rack, so will have a search through the forum.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Thanks for the tips everyone. My mate and I figured out it was a Decathlon bike rack, and a good guesstimate has it at a limit of 30 kilos. Bit too close to the edge for me, I figured we'd be nearing 40 even without the battery so I'm not going to risk it. Protracted negotiations with the missus and I'm going to use her van :). Now on the hunt for a good bike rack, so will have a search through the forum.
We have one of these as do some others here. Takes two Trek Rails no probs. Not sure but think I remember someone here wanting to sell one. They're really well made.

macinthekitchen

Jun 28, 2020
Ringwood
We have one of these as do some others here. Takes two Trek Rails no probs. Not sure but think I remember someone here wanting to sell one. They're really well made.

Thanks for the tip, I don't have a tow bar though. was thinking a rear mount one would do the job.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Thule Outway is probably the best for an ebike.

Depending on what car you have, you might struggle to find a normal rear rack that fits and can (safely) take the weight.

I tried a normal style rear carrier on my Superb and wasn't happy with how it sat. I could just about make it work by sitting it low on the rear bumper but I just didn't trust it.

Was going to get an Outway but new car time for work came around so I've just ordered one with a towbar.

Retro fit towbar might be an option? Expensive though! I was quoted £1200 for a towbar bar and Thule carrier. Was about £800 for the towbar (authorised fitter, Thule dealer) that included everything including reprogramming the ecu to recognise the towbar electrics.

I just put it in the boot now 🤣

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
If you're keeping the car for a while then towbar is 100% the way to go. Secure, easy, better fuel economy, and for those of us who ride in mud, it keeps the muddy bike out of the car. I paid £505 for a removable Tow-Trust bar to be fitted including electrics and coding. Would have been about £280 for a fixed bar I think?

I use an Atera 3 bike rack that's rated for ebikes. As always, it's really only a 2 bike rack given the width of modern boost axles. At the time I preferred them to Thule, although my impression is that Thule have leapfrogged them since. I now use Thule arms as you can thread them after the bikes are in place. The Buzz racks get a lot of good write-ups, but I think they are slightly more faff to fit than either Atera or Thule?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles