Purchasing advice

brysonhollar

Sep 14, 2022
NC
Hey guys, I’m new to the EMTB world but not new to MTB.

Current rig is a 22’ Santa Cruz Bronson size small. I’ve over stroked the fork to 170mm, added a coil and some carbon wheels.

I’m 5’6” and weigh 185 (pretty muscular build).

My last two bikes were both medium frame (432-450 reach) and I think I’d like to go back to something in that size range.

That being said, I have it narrowed down to 3 bikes, but opened minded to anything. Only caveat is I’d prefer to stay with a mullet as I’d prefer to keep my carbon wheels and I’ve grown to love the mullet setup.

Bikes I’m considering:

Santa Cruz Heckler
Sanat Cruz Bullit
Specialized Turbo Levo
(Possibly Transition Relay)

Single track black diamond trails in the mountains of Western NC (my home) makes up 90% of my riding with an occasional bike park day.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
How do you like the Bronson stretched out to 170? I'm curious how the proportion plays out, if a 170 on a small bike is like a 190 on a large bike.

I'm a Santa Cruz fan, myself. My first was back in 2008. I'm currently on a 2021 Heckler MX. The bike was good from the factory, but when I stretched the fork out to 160mm, it became spectacular. The added travel and decreased head tube angle make a good bike great.

The new Hecklers have increased travel both front and rear, nicer suspension components, AND a substantially larger battery. As much as I love my current bike, I think the new Heckler would be even better for me.

Realistically, the Hecker is probably better for me than the Bullit, although the Bullit and the new Shuttle LT intrigue me. I ride a lot of SoCal chunk, but I'm not into giant drops and huge gaps.

brysonhollar

Sep 14, 2022
NC
How do you like the Bronson stretched out to 170? I'm curious how the proportion plays out, if a 170 on a small bike is like a 190 on a large bike.

I'm a Santa Cruz fan, myself. My first was back in 2008. I'm currently on a 2021 Heckler MX. The bike was good from the factory, but when I stretched the fork out to 160mm, it became spectacular. The added travel and decreased head tube angle make a good bike great.

The new Hecklers have increased travel both front and rear, nicer suspension components, AND a substantially larger battery. As much as I love my current bike, I think the new Heckler would be even better for me.

Realistically, the Hecker is probably better for me than the Bullit, although the Bullit and the new Shuttle LT intrigue me. I ride a lot of SoCal chunk, but I'm not into giant drops and huge gaps.

Stretching the Bronson 10mm made it feel like a 180mm on a large frame. Steering slowed down in corners but its fun on downhill.

I was considering the Bullit but after breaking my collarbone last year and having major surgery, I think a little less suspension is better for me.

I guess my only concern is hearing issues out of the EP8 motor.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I guess my only concern is hearing issues out of the EP8 motor.

I've only had one, and it has 2674 flawless miles on it. So from my data set of 1, I've experienced 100% reliability. However, I have several buddies who ride bikes with EP8's, and one has had the dreaded crank shaft breakage. I think it's only a problem with E13 cranks, but it seems odd that Shimano still puts the little hole in the shaft. I understand it's a carryover from the olden days, but it's now a big issue. I don't know if they've addressed it.

I really like the way the assistance profiles are programable. It's intuitive and easy. I like intuitive and easy. I also like that Santa Cruz is a local company. When I have a problem or questions, they're always quick to answer. And parts are readily available QUICKLY. Getting parts shipped from Europe ads a week or more to any amount of downtime.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles