Purchase from LBS in Canada then bringing home to US?

eDirt

Nov 2, 2022
USA
Anybody got experience buying an ebike in Canada and bringing it home to the US? I live in northern NY near the border and the nearest shops with stock for the size/model/color that I’m interested in are in Quebec. With the exchange rate the bike prices are cheaper than here but I’m not sure how the taxes and duties would add to the cost. Also not sure if buying there affects how warrantee claims are handled if needed.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Anybody got experience buying an ebike in Canada and bringing it home to the US? I live in northern NY near the border and the nearest shops with stock for the size/model/color that I’m interested in are in Quebec. With the exchange rate the bike prices are cheaper than here but I’m not sure how the taxes and duties would add to the cost. Also not sure if buying there affects how warrantee claims are handled if needed.
When I buy components online from US stores like Jensons, I am charged US tax. I live close to the Boarder and I find some parts cheaper even if I have to pay the 6% tax coming back into Canada. You can also apply to get the tax you paid in Canada refunded if you are taking it back to the US if the same rules apply for you as they do for me buying parts in the US. The only issue will be that it is classified as a motor vehicle which may cause problems. I sold a Emtb to a rider in the US and he sorted out all the details but did run into a snag with the motor part.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
When I buy components online from US stores like Jensons, I am charged US tax. I live close to the Boarder and I find some parts cheaper even if I have to pay the 6% tax coming back into Canada. You can also apply to get the tax you paid in Canada refunded if you are taking it back to the US if the same rules apply for you as they do for me buying parts in the US. The only issue will be that it is classified as a motor vehicle which may cause problems. I sold a Emtb to a rider in the US and he sorted out all the details but did run into a snag with the motor part.

if you take the car across the border and go and collect the bike from the shop and then go home again.

Do you still have to pay tax then?

eDirt

Nov 2, 2022
USA
I assumed you could get the Canadian tax refunded too but now I’m not sure. I went looking for the forms and found conflicting info. Some places said the laws changed in 2007 and discontinued the refunds and that Canadian retailers are lobbying to get it reinstated. If that’s the case then even with the exchange rate, adding on 15% Canadian tax plus whatever US customs is would make it more expensive.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I assumed you could get the Canadian tax refunded too but now I’m not sure. I went looking for the forms and found conflicting info. Some places said the laws changed in 2007 and discontinued the refunds and that Canadian retailers are lobbying to get it reinstated. If that’s the case then even with the exchange rate, adding on 15% Canadian tax plus whatever US customs is would make it more expensive.
Ok. Why would Canadian retailers care if they collected taxes considering the taxes collected would all go to the Government, who in turn, would be the ones giving you the refund, if you proved you had to pay them again when you returned to the US . Secondly, bikes and bike parts are taxed at 6% in Canada, which I assume is the Federal tax and not the Provincial tax. And yes, you always pay the tax when buy anything either in person or online in Canada and the US. Is it not the same in the UK?

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Ok. Why would Canadian retailers care if they collected taxes considering the taxes collected would all go to the Government, who in turn, would be the ones giving you the refund, if you proved you had to pay them again when you returned to the US . Secondly, bikes and bike parts are taxed at 6% in Canada, which I assume is the Federal tax and not the Provincial tax. And yes, you always pay the tax when buy anything either in person or online in Canada and the US. Is it not the same in the UK?
Not every purchase in GB is subject to tax.
Cake isn't, but biscuits are.
Childs clothing isn't, but adults is.
IIRC Thatcher's government changed the taxation on what they considered 'luxuries'.
Toothpaste & women's sanitary products (to name a few crazy ones) are subject to tax. How these are a luxury items is beyond me 🤔🤣
Before someone starts up the Jaffa Cake discussion. They're cakes & not biscuits.

eDirt

Nov 2, 2022
USA
There is a national GST of 5% plus a Quebec QST of 9.975%, so 14.975% to get out the door. It would be an incentive for US visitors to make more purchases if they knew they could get that back so that is why merchants want it reinstated.

eDirt

Nov 2, 2022
USA
Throw all your gear in your car, don't bathe for a day, mess up your hair, and splatter mud on the new bike. You'll look like any other rider coming home from an adventure.
I thought about that too but wouldn’t there be a chance that the border agent would want proof that you bought the bike in the US? I dunno, maybe I’m being too cautious after reading how to guides about riding a bike into Canada and back.

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA

Will I Am

Mar 3, 2022
BC
Throw all your gear in your car, don't bathe for a day, mess up your hair, and splatter mud on the new bike. You'll look like any other rider coming home from an adventure.
not to offend anyone, but that would be a very bad idea. Good way to loose your new ride, as CBP do not have a sense of humour in any way in regard to the rules. Plus they are a very suspicious lot by nature. A bike bought in Quebec will be taxed at 5% GST + 9.975% QST. A bike bought in Ontario will be taxed at 13% HST. Then when you get to the border expect to be taxed 11% for most bikes, then likely add the NY state sales tax. So looks like about 30% will be your total taxes and levies, roughly about the difference in exchange rates…..so probably about the advertised selling price in Canada, only in US$

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles