Kenevo SL PSI with cushcores on SL bikes?

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
I own a KSL S-Works and installed cushcores to protect the carbon rims. They're great but they do add stiffness at same PSI. Wondering how low people are running PSI specifically for SL bikes, given that weight isn't that far off the charts. Do you think 18/20 psi is "safe"? I really don't want to experience a flat with the cushcores if I don't have to, but on the other hand not sure I really need 5 more PSI than a non-cushcore'ed Enduro.
Thanks!

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Now I don't own a Kenevo SL though, but I run 22 psi front and 24 psi rear and think that's a good output pressure.

i think 18/20 is very low and not nessesery if it not super muddy and you really need grip.

Strive77

Aug 5, 2020
Lancashire. England
I’m not on the same bike but running 20 / 22 and find it perfect for most things. Might drop it slightly in the depths of the UK wet muddy winter and raise it slightly if riding full on rocky Lakeland. I’m not carrying much weight either.
You just need to experiment with different pressures etc.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I own a KSL S-Works and installed cushcores to protect the carbon rims. They're great but they do add stiffness at same PSI. Wondering how low people are running PSI specifically for SL bikes, given that weight isn't that far off the charts. Do you think 18/20 psi is "safe"? I really don't want to experience a flat with the cushcores if I don't have to, but on the other hand not sure I really need 5 more PSI than a non-cushcore'ed Enduro.
Thanks!
Your weight, trail choice/condition, aggressiveness, tire side wall thickness and comfort will all play a part your choice for air pressure. If I am riding DH trails, I use a DH tire on the rear and a DD on the front on DT Swiss 511 rims with Cushcore. If I am riding all mountain, I its a DD and an EXO+ on WeAreOne rims with Cushcore. F18/R20 is probably too little for me at 190 lbs but comfort out weighs my need for rolling speed. No flats or dented rims yet on the trails I ride. Experiment and see what works for you!

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
It depends on your weight and riding. I’m 210 lbs and what InRustWeTrust is the lowest I’d go if I’m not riding anything extreme.

Cushcore for hard riders is simply rim/tire insurance. Doesn’t mean you can lower PSI.

Watch this to answer your questions about cushcore. -note that this dude looks like he’s about 175lbs
Ft Bill is absolutely legendary for killing wheels. It's not really a typical scenario.

I'm about 80kg (175) kitted up and get on well with around 20/21F 23/24R. My local trails are not very rocky and tend to be steep and slippery. In poor conditions I might drop as low as 18/20. For reference, my bike is about the same weight as a Kenevo SL minus the range extender!

skinipenem

Apr 9, 2022
skinipenem
Depends on how much you weigh, terrain, speed, technique, rims, tires, and personal preference. Parameters/compromises with different air pressure come down to traction deflection, squirm, burping, small bump compliance, rim protection, rolling speed, and don't and likely front-rear balance. Note: higher pressure does not necessarily result in more speed.

Try different pressures and see what happens.

Fwiw, I ride a decoy mx, weigh 180#, exo+ assagai / dhrii Cushcore tubeless. I run 26/22 riding northeast USA slippery and rocky trails. I run 27 1/2 / 23 1/2 in the bike park to avoid squirm on jumps and high speed berms/g-outs.

I'm no pro though. A pro friend of mine runs higher pressures with a procore in the rear only. He runs higher pressures than me for moto Enduro too though as he pushes much harder in turns riding alpine and desert whereas I prefer slower technical hard Enduro style riding.

This is just my opinion and not based on any science whatsoever.

Sometimes you just gotta experiment. Try 18/20 insert tubeless then try 26/22 and bracket.

Last edited:

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Cushcore in the rear only for me and using Butchers in Gravity casing front and rear on my KSL. I’m 200lbs and run 23/28psi pretty much everywhere.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I have the same bike and run Maxxis DD casing at 21 front 23 rear on black runs in the bike park. With cushcore I run 3 lbs less with no flats. Im 200lb and a fairly strong intermediate level rider.

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
I think I'll settle for experimenting with 20F / 22R. I weigh 185lbs and this is the pressure I use on my Enduro with Exo+/no cushcore tires, usually without issues. So far I've used those settings in 2 rides and seems to work well. Tires also feel more compliant and "normal" to me as the combination of Cushcore+DoubleDown+high psi made them feel worse than pure DH tires. Thanks for all the replies!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles