Levo Gen 2 Problem with Motor Bolts in Carbon Frame?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Several weeks ago I had a creaking problem with my Levo:

This is after making sure all motor bolts were at 18NM, cranks at 50NM, etc. LBS was unable to diagnose any specific cause and replaced the motor. Tonight (3rd ride on the new motor) the noise started again. I checked the bolts on my ride and one of them was a bit loose feeling. I tightened and the noise went away. At home in the garage I backed off the 4 motor bolts in anticipation of re-torquing. I accidentally reproduced what I think is the same noise, while the bolts were somewhat loose (skip to ~0:42):

I then noticed, after re-torquing, the left side rear bolt looks like it's sunk way too far into the frame:

PXL_20210115_071907074.jpg

I wonder is the carbon compressing, causing the bolts to be loose, causing the creak sound? I also found the inner spacer was missing on my chain guide :mad: I can't say for sure if the LBS forgot it or I did, but it means the aluminum part of the chain guide was smashed against the frame... EDIT: my bad, there's no spacer on the carbon frame, only aluminum (see here). So it appears this bolt might be sinking in as well, it made some pretty terrible noises when torquing.

Can anyone compare their left rear bolt to mine? Maybe it's missing a spacer or something? Thanks.

Last edited:

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
Have you checked the 2 other bolts ? I had creaking on my expert, was driving me up the wall. All 4 of the main bolts were correct, however 1 of the other 2 werent. If you look below the swingarm bolt, where the rear brake line passes by you will see another bolt. This is replicated on the otherside.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
That's a good point, I remember those. Right now nothing is making noise, but I will check those too.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Something else I noticed while trying to get the chain guide lined up. The bolt seems to be going in at an angle?

PXL_20210123_015718493.jpg PXL_20210123_015551343.jpg

Harmialized

Oct 15, 2018
Netherlands
Motor bolts and hardware are also made for one time usage, when motor is replaced the hardware need to be replaced as well.
Make sure this is done as well.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Motor bolts and hardware are also made for one time usage, when motor is replaced the hardware need to be replaced as well.
Make sure this is done as well.
Not according to the manual. What do you do when a bolt shifts on a bolt check, or when the chain guard skips and the bolt has to be loosened to realign it?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Follow-up:

Took the bike to LBS, who contacted Specialized. They said they had a tolerance issue with some of the new motor mounts, and that we should check there. Turns out the left rear mount was no good, causing the bolt to sink in. That's been resolved with new mounts.

I compared the chain guide bolt to a new bike in the shop, and the new bike appears to have a similar angle. I think mine might still be angled more than normal, but hard to say for sure. Either way it's definitely not square with the chainring when new.

?things are back to normal. I still need to figure out what I want to do about the chain guide; I may just put a 34t on so I can run it in its normal position (I have a 36t currently), or I may just leave it off altogether...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles