Levo Gen 3 Prematurely hitting speed limiter with larger chainring?

massius

Sep 6, 2022
US
Hello, I went with a 36T chainring and immediately noticed I was hitting the speed limiter early. I figured it was my imagination and let it ride for a week but it's legitimately slowing me down when I pedal around 12-14mph. I went to put my OEM ring back in but I believe it was mistakenly thrown away :/
Has anyone else experienced this?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Anything is possible I guess, but what you're saying is unlikely.

The speed is calculated from the magnet on the rear wheel. Changing the chainring will vary the cadence you're using in each gear for the equivalent speed, but the bike doesn't know which gear you're in.

Is it possible that whatever you're using to see the speed is just behind the real speed ? The only other thing which would do it would be someone increasing the rear wheel size setting.

There has been a recent update, but if Spesh had made a change to start trying to calculate speed more accurately when de-restriction devices were used, then by now there would be dozen's of threads about de-restriction devices not working anymore.

massius

Sep 6, 2022
US
Anything is possible I guess, but what you're saying is unlikely.

The speed is calculated from the magnet on the rear wheel. Changing the chainring will vary the cadence you're using in each gear for the equivalent speed, but the bike doesn't know which gear you're in.

Is it possible that whatever you're using to see the speed is just behind the real speed ? The only other thing which would do it would be someone increasing the rear wheel size setting.

There has been a recent update, but if Spesh had made a change to start trying to calculate speed more accurately when de-restriction devices were used, then by now there would be dozen's of threads about de-restriction devices not working anymore.

I was curious if the bike was somehow counting my cadence and it wasn't matching my speed. but like you said it doesn't know what gear I'm in. I'm positive its limiting me. A riding buddy has a 2020 levo, we swapped out a few times and rode next to each other testing.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I must be something else as I put a 34 on my kenevo and it didn't change anything. The speed is only from the rear wheel magnet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles