Power button issues in the mud?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Anyone else had this yet?

Stopped for lunch on a particularly wet and muddy ride.

After eating a sarnie that was somehow gritty and muddy just like everything else, I was ready to get going. The bike had shut down after 10 minutes (or whatever) of inactivity.

Brushed/ smeared a load of mud away from the on/ off button and when I pressed it to power the bike up, it got stuck!

It allowed me to press the button in, but it didn't pop back out so failed to latch and power the bike up.

Fairly sure it was grit or something that caused it to stick.

20 or so cold minutes later, I was on my way again after continually wiggling, pressing, coercing and swearing at the power button. Wondering whether I'd have to ride 10 miles across surry Hills with no assistance. I was almost at the point of giving up and felt a warm sense of relief when it finally popped out. I had to use a pen knife to clean grit out around the perimeter of the button. Then more wiggling and slight twisting. Tapping and swearing.

Currently, I've smeared a healthy blob of grease over the top of the button in an attempt to prevent a repeat.

Anyone else suffered with this issue? Or am I just unlucky?

(awaiting smug Americans who live in the desert asking what wet mud looks like :ROFLMAO:)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
there is no way I would leave that uncovered!

My Whyte bikes have the charging port in that position and whilst they have a good rubber cover I still cover them with a patch of neoprene. A power button is even more subject to ingress of water dust and mud. I use HD self adhesive velcro to hold the patch in place. For a power button you probably want a transparent cap of some sort, preferably a flexible one that allows you to both press the button and see the power on light without having to remove it.....time to get inventive!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
A good point...

Rise Alloy with the power button on top of the motor housing.

Bluntly, a stupid place to put a power button.
facepalm.gif

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Cheers everyone.

I can't quite understand why there isnt a dust cover over the button as standard.

I already have some frame protection tape, I'll go with a bit of that over the top for the time being.

eddomak

Feb 4, 2022
Australia
Just a quick tip that might have helped. In the latest Jeff Kendall-Weed video review of the Rise Alloy he also had power button issues and got stranded. He has since been advised (and shared on the video) that you can "jump start" the electronics (and switch the bike on) by lifting your back wheel and rotating it backwards 3 revolutions.

I tried it on the weekend a couple of times and it works! Took a couple of tries as I needed to shift into one of the gears that made it easier to rotate the wheel.

Last edited:

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Just a quick tip that might have helped. In the latest Jeff Kendall-Weed video review of the Rise Alloy he also had power button issues and got stranded. He has since been advise (and shared on the video) that you can "jump start" the electronics (and switch the bike on) by lifting your back wheel and rotating it backwards 3 revolutions.

I tried it on the weekend a couple of times and it works! Took a couple of tries as I needed to shift into one of the gears that made it easier to rotate the wheel.
This is also a good reason to take out the battery before you put the bike in a stand to do maintenance.
You don't want the bike to start up when your hand is oiling the chain and you turn the wheel!

eddomak

Feb 4, 2022
Australia
This is also a good reason to take out the battery before you put the bike in a stand to do maintenance.
You don't want the bike to start up when your hand is oiling the chain and you turn the wheel!
That might be the case for most bikes with (easily) removeable batteries but with the Rise and the jump start process above, it definitely won't switch on as it needs quite a lot of continuous wheel rotation. It'd be a real pain to need to remove the battery each time to lube the chain.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I bought a rubber light switch cover and some modable plastic called sugruu to create a watertight seal around the switch. Has been perfect so far.

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
OK my fix. I've had a number of gritty wet rides now and I've found one thing works everytime- DONT turn the bike off at the end of the ride. I don't always wash the whole bike just the drivetrain but even if I do I leave it switched on so it'll power itself off. Never fails to switch back on. No need for flaps etc. Now if I stopped at a cafe halfway round... but I don't.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles