Levo Gen 3 Potential Add to the family - Levo Expert

Hey All,
I currently ride a 21 Rail XT. Been a good bike and is starting to hit the end of its warranty period, it should become a buddy bike cause not ready to sell.
So.. entering the 22 Levo Expert that is 25% off and I qualify for 0% 3yr funding makes it an attractive new bike.

So questions and ramblings - What might I be getting into here?
I've heard riders wanting to switch out the mullet for a 29er and some motor issues still?
Do brakes / Wheels - need an upgrade?
How good is this bike?

My Trek had the motor and other components replaced under warranty, so I get it stuff happens.

Last edited:

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
My 22 alloy was tubed but tubeless ready and the shop switched it over before I picked it up. Rims are taped, tires are tubeless, and came with the tubeless valves with the charger/manuals package.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I recently had a Trek Rail. I have just changed back to a Levo (had a Gen 3 Pro before the Rail).

The Bosch motor has issues (rattle noise) that I cannot tolerate, so I changed back to a Levo for the silent ride quality.

The Bosch motor is better than the brose for climbing, it delivers the power very naturally. That's not to say the Brose is rubbish, because it isn't, it just delivers the power on a more on/off nature.

The Rail rides great, I tried it as a mullet, but didn't get on with it, far too low and too many pedal strikes. As a full 29'r it is superb. The Levo is designed to be a mullet and imo it is just a mega ride, better than the Rail (for me).

The Levo mode controller and display are far better than the Bosch, the integration on the Levo is superior in this regard.

The Levo also have better battery integration in the frame, apposed to the rail, which again, is a source of noise and a really shit design.

All round, I prefer the Levo. But, if you are looking at a two bike stable, then the rail and levo would complement each other, what with one being a mullet. Alternatively, if you are happy with the Rail, why not look at getting a SL ebike and have something very different from the Rail?

All bikes come with inner tubes, but as said above, the Levo is tubeless ready and can be setup that way very easily in just a few minutes out of the box.

Having just taken apart a Levo and re-assembled it, I can say it is a super easy bike to tinker with (if that's your thing), whereas the Rail was not so easy due to the battery mounting and poor cable routing around the motor.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
My Gen 3 Expert will be 2 in May (still on the original motor).

X2 lasted 8 months, swapped out for a coil shock. I had a few teething issues with the battery hardness (swapped out by the LBS).

I like the brakes but would love to try the new hopes. The fork is fantastic.

I swapped the wheels\tyres, bar\stem\grips, and saddle just for personal preference.

I like the mullet setup, I ride tight twisty woods so it's ideal, I haven't missed 29/29.

The app\display is fantastic.

emtber

Oct 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
Had my Gen 3 Expert for 16 months. Beautifully balanced handling. Smooth, quiet, fast, quick turning and comfortable. I love it. No motor issues. The Code RS brakes had a lot of slack to take up before pad contact, but they modulate well and ultimately have good stopping power. Bought some "Deslackinators" to lessen the slack. They work ok, but they easily break or get knocked out if you fall and hit a lever. Recently upgraded the levers only to RSC which work great. The stock SRAM metal pads really honk when wet or cold. Cleaning the rotors helped but the noise easily returned with moisture. When they wore out, I changed to MTX Red Ceramic. Quiet braking, ye-ha! Also changed the alloy bar for a One Up Carbon E-Bar. Much less wrist pain, but I also learned to weight my feet more and hands less, so partly my fault. The App allows you to tune the ride modes so the motor can respond about however you might like, but doesn't have the Bosch over run except in Turbo mode. Stock motor modes are smooth and natural feeling, until I reach 20, then I'm pushing thru mud, if not descending. The Butcher is a great tire-corners great, brakes well, rolls well, really dampens vibrations and provides good smooth feel for the ground. Changed to an Assagai when the Butcher wore out-slower rolling with a touch more grip, but Maxxgrip feels vague and squirmy by comparison. The Eliminator is also decent rolling, cornering and braking, but climbing traction was just ok. Fun to slide the tail out, if that's your style. Replaced when worn for DHR ll. Slower rolling, better braking, climbs like a tractor, and cornering grip is high but hard to slide the tail. The new tires are less fun, but safer to ride cuz they corner, brake and climb better. With the motor, rolling resistance is not a problem, but I did notice that the battery depletes slightly faster. Still has fantastic range tho, and these tires are better for me while I improve my skills. With the stock tires, the Levo just takes off. Just watch out for the battery recharge door. It has been upgraded, but even the new one can probably easily break off by the crank arm if you roll the bike with the door open. Mine broke off when I tried to jump a log and hit the motor housing. I finally got the new upgraded door, but continue to use the original, now duct taped. Right now, I'd probably buy this bike again as it's that good and has no motor clunking. Plus it's only 8250 now, you lucky dog!

I recently had a Trek Rail. I have just changed back to a Levo (had a Gen 3 Pro before the Rail).

The Bosch motor has issues (rattle noise) that I cannot tolerate, so I changed back to a Levo for the silent ride quality.

The Bosch motor is better than the brose for climbing, it delivers the power very naturally. That's not to say the Brose is rubbish, because it isn't, it just delivers the power on a more on/off nature.

The Rail rides great, I tried it as a mullet, but didn't get on with it, far too low and too many pedal strikes. As a full 29'r it is superb. The Levo is designed to be a mullet and imo it is just a mega ride, better than the Rail (for me).

The Levo mode controller and display are far better than the Bosch, the integration on the Levo is superior in this regard.

The Levo also have better battery integration in the frame, apposed to the rail, which again, is a source of noise and a really shit design.

All round, I prefer the Levo. But, if you are looking at a two bike stable, then the rail and levo would complement each other, what with one being a mullet. Alternatively, if you are happy with the Rail, why not look at getting a SL ebike and have something very different from the Rail?

All bikes come with inner tubes, but as said above, the Levo is tubeless ready and can be setup that way very easily in just a few minutes out of the box.

Having just taken apart a Levo and re-assembled it, I can say it is a super easy bike to tinker with (if that's your thing), whereas the Rail was not so easy due to the battery mounting and poor cable routing around the motor.
Thanks for the comparison notes and in-depth review!

Had my Gen 3 Expert for 16 months. Beautifully balanced handling. Smooth, quiet, fast, quick turning and comfortable. I love it. No motor issues. The Code RS brakes had a lot of slack to take up before pad contact, but they modulate well and ultimately have good stopping power. Bought some "Deslackinators" to lessen the slack. They work ok, but they easily break or get knocked out if you fall and hit a lever. Recently upgraded the levers only to RSC which work great. The stock SRAM metal pads really honk when wet or cold. Cleaning the rotors helped but the noise easily returned with moisture. When they wore out, I changed to MTX Red Ceramic. Quiet braking, ye-ha! Also changed the alloy bar for a One Up Carbon E-Bar. Much less wrist pain, but I also learned to weight my feet more and hands less, so partly my fault. The App allows you to tune the ride modes so the motor can respond about however you might like, but doesn't have the Bosch over run except in Turbo mode. Stock motor modes are smooth and natural feeling, until I reach 20, then I'm pushing thru mud, if not descending. The Butcher is a great tire-corners great, brakes well, rolls well, really dampens vibrations and provides good smooth feel for the ground. Changed to an Assagai when the Butcher wore out-slower rolling with a touch more grip, but Maxxgrip feels vague and squirmy by comparison. The Eliminator is also decent rolling, cornering and braking, but climbing traction was just ok. Fun to slide the tail out, if that's your style. Replaced when worn for DHR ll. Slower rolling, better braking, climbs like a tractor, and cornering grip is high but hard to slide the tail. The new tires are less fun, but safer to ride cuz they corner, brake and climb better. With the motor, rolling resistance is not a problem, but I did notice that the battery depletes slightly faster. Still has fantastic range tho, and these tires are better for me while I improve my skills. With the stock tires, the Levo just takes off. Just watch out for the battery recharge door. It has been upgraded, but even the new one can probably easily break off by the crank arm if you roll the bike with the door open. Mine broke off when I tried to jump a log and hit the motor housing. I finally got the new upgraded door, but continue to use the original, now duct taped. Right now, I'd probably buy this bike again as it's that good and has no motor clunking. Plus it's only 8250 now, you lucky dog!
Thanks for the insider tips on the brakes/tires, etc. Great stuff!

D

Deleted member 7401

I have been riding my expert for a couple weeks now. Over 80 miles in 5 rides…and I can say it was the best bicycle purchase I have ever made. Riding my bike is fun again…as I will most likely never reach the fitness level needed to conquer the miles and terrain I have with the expert. Unless you live, eat, sleep, and breathe cycling, the levo is the way to go.

MNTurboLevo

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
Minnesota/Arizon
I have 2021 Turbo Levo Expert with 600 miles. Have replaced the motor at 300 miles and now very quiet and doing well. Great bike, good power and good climber on the stock Butcher tires running at 25 psi. Love this bike but not the Code RS brakes. Good modulation and stopping power but very noisy when warm and annoying slack in levers. Have heard good things about MTX pads and will probably try these with either sintered or ceramic pads. What have others done that has worked to reduce noise of the SRAM Codes?

MNTurboLevo

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
Minnesota/Arizon
Out of curiosity what did it cost to just upgrade to RSC levers? I would consider this if cost is not too high and I could do it myself. Also where did you find just the levers?

MNTurboLevo

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
Minnesota/Arizon
Looked up the cost of the RSC levers. Looks like something I would do. Are the existing RS brake lines and barb and olive compatible with the RSC lever assembly? So just need to unscrew the lines from old levers, put on new levers and bleed the lines? If so I would probably do this for a rough cost of $260.

emtber

Oct 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
As this is my first experience with disc brakes, I had my LBS switch the levers and do the bleed. My levers came with the barb n olive. No need to change the lines. I bought the levers from the Lost Co. for 264, but I just saw them on Amzn for 200.

MNTurboLevo

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
Minnesota/Arizon
I did the upgrade to RSC levers on my Turbo Levo Expert as well as switching to RS2 rotors. I bought the gear online and had my LBS swap it out. Love the change to the RSC levers and the added adjustability. Also really enjoy the RS2 rotors on long downhill runs, good bite, good modulation and very quiet compare to the stock rotors which would get hot and squeal. Very happy with the overall result. Since they were able to use the stock lines and rotors this is a very cost effective upgrade to improve your braking on a Turbo Levo. Thanks for the input from the forum on this change.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles