Polini motor

Silverfox

Oct 12, 2020
Kent. UK
Anyone running the Polini MX motor, if so whats your opinion on it, it looks good on paper but there seems to be little test data available.

Cheers.

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
My experience- 2000 miles on Haibike/yamaha pwx2 and 800 on the Fulgur/polini motor. Both no rattles. Yam feels" torque -ier" but a bit jerky on steep restarts. Polini cuts of on freewheels so smoothly & pedals past the 16mph cut off with minimal friction. The Yam hits a wall of friction at cut off & I could barely managed 4 pedal strokes. Make an effort & the Polini keeps going. The Fulgur is 3 - 4 kgs lighter & the range on the longer rides is excellent for the battery size. Many other positives, but the different engines behaviour is often overlooked.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Im wondering if polini have guide or program in place to allow people to swap out their shimano system for the polini? I think the mounting pattern is the same for polini and shimano. Polini being rebuildable is another strong feature

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Thanks for the reply.

How is the Polini user software used for customising the levels etc and can you derestrict it OK as in set it up for say US speed limits ?

I've sent off a couple of Emails looking for prices of motors and not had a reply :cautious:

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Thanks for the reply.

How is the Polini user software used for customising the levels etc and can you derestrict it OK as in set it up for say US speed limits ?

I've sent off a couple of Emails looking for prices of motors and not had a reply :cautious:
There's five 'groups' of power delivery characteristics, and five levels within each group.

There's 'race' group, which gives a high output/input ratio so it doesn't take much from the rider to get a lot from the motor.

'Dynamic' group is middle ish delivery and, if I'm not needing to preserve the battery it's the mode I prefer.

'Touring' group is softer delivery and gives good economy.

Then there's 'Custom 1' and 'Custom 2' groups, which you can tailor however you like, and you can also adjust the amount of 'overrun' so the motor runs on for longer after pedaling, or not so long, or not at all. I've set up these two groups for maximum economy (I sometimes do really long rides) and for tecchy trials sort of riding.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
The Bafang M600 I'm using is a great motor but there is no way of customising it, which it needs as we all ride in different terrain. Just thinking of perhaps making an adaptor plate and trying an MX motor as its a bit smaller and lighter.

Max speed changes, at all possible ?

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Thanks for the reply.

There's an adjustment for wheel size, like most motors, but I don't know if there's a US setting option as such.

I'm told that they can sell all of their manufacturing capacity so I doubt that they would sell a motor unless it was to replace one in a bike that came with a Polini motor to begin with.

Mybrainaches

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
There's five 'groups' of power delivery characteristics, and five levels within each group.

There's 'race' group, which gives a high output/input ratio so it doesn't take much from the rider to get a lot from the motor.

'Dynamic' group is middle ish delivery and, if I'm not needing to preserve the battery it's the mode I prefer.

'Touring' group is softer delivery and gives good economy.

Then there's 'Custom 1' and 'Custom 2' groups, which you can tailor however you like, and you can also adjust the amount of 'overrun' so the motor runs on for longer after pedaling, or not so long, or not at all. I've set up these two groups for maximum economy (I sometimes do really long rides) and for tecchy trials sort of riding.
I’m Struggling a bit with how to do mine, wouldn’t mind sharing a screen shot of the profiles you have programmed? All the best.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles