Mar 18, 2019
Italy
Product Image:
IM2_5085.jpg

Product name: Polini E-P3 MX
Price paid: 1000
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: Hi Guys,

I put togther this video talking about the new Polini E-P3 MX ebike motor.

90 NM
2880 grams
250 watts
500 wh battery
100 percent user serviceable

Opinion:

Its more powerful than any other motor I have tried. Its also from a European motor maker. The killer feature apart from very high performance, is the fact it's 100 percent user serviceable. Considering the day after making it my Specialized test bike motor broke, I think Polini have a valid point.

Need some more time on it, but if feels like the full 90 NM is available all the time and the motor essentially has more torque than other motors in its class. It pushes all the time. Uphill found myself arriving at the 25km/h limit. Low cadences lots of available power all the time, in all situations.

Battery drain is similar to all other batteries I have tried on other motors in comparable distance traveled / height gained situations.

Not widely available on bikes, but it should be, especially with the self maintenance feature! Im interested to know the software tune that it has, It would be good to compare software by downloading it from each bike to have a look. Is this tune possible with all motors?

My wish now is to have the motor on more bikes. The bike I tried it on is a Fulgur Mula, which is a good bike, a totally unknown brand from Italy.

If anyone has any specific questions about how it felt, list them below and I will answer them.

Video Review

Last edited:

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Product Image: View attachment 35575

90 NM
2880 grams
250 watts
500 wh battery

Opinion:

Its more powerful than any other motor I have tried. Its also from a European motor maker. The killer feature apart from very high performance, is the fact it's 100 percent user serviceable. Considering the day after making it my Specialized test bike motor broke, I think Polini have a valid point.

Need some more time on it, but if feels like the full 90 NM is available all the time and the motor essentially has more torque than other motors in its class. It pushes all the time. Uphill found myself arriving at the 25km/h limit. Low cadences lots of available power all the time, in all situations.

Battery drain is similar to all other batteries I have tried on other motors in comparable distance traveled / height gained situations.

Not widely available on bikes, but it should be, especially with the self maintenance feature! Im interested to know the software tune that it has, It would be good to compare software by downloading it from each bike to have a look. Is this tune possible with all motors?

My wish now is to have the motor on more bikes. The bike I tried it on is a Fulgur Mula, which is a good bike, a totally unknown brand from Italy.

If anyone has any specific questions about how it felt, list them below and I will answer them.

Video Review
Very interesting thanks
Bike looks sweet as well

mr wilson

Mar 22, 2020
Nairn, Scotland
We used to race their auto mx bikes in the 2000s, fast but a wee bit fragile if I remember. Mind you, most of the autos were fragile, asking a lot of a 50cc motor when you stick it in a motocross bike.
Spares were also an issue due to the somewhat niche nature of the brand. I'm not running them down in any way, just remembering the issues we had back then. A lot can change in nearly 20 years and if they have a reliable and committed dealer in this country then there's no reason they can't be successful.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
MSA in 95? or 96? was an eye opener. I showed up to race on my first year stumpy fsr with 2.75" of travel and a 4" judy "dh" only to find the game had changed. There was the proto gt lobo (mike king), lopes on an intense m1(mongoose sticker), euros the size of our hockey players on the scott dh, Ronning on a custom gary fisher urt bike that had a head angle of todays dh bike and also an all kawasaki dh bike with 6" rear travel and a kx80 fork that could be 6 or 8" of travel. I dont know if kawasaki ever went to market with it though. They had n american riders but we never seen it again. Tattoo Lou DeAngelis was their rider
Ive been wondering if we'll see kawi appear on the emtb scene

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Nice looking bike, spec and decent price. That motor sounds promising. Might be my personal body measurements but i wish the chainstay was sub 450mm (its 460) and it looks like they could have both shortened the seattube and lowered the top tube for more standover. Sooo close and so many good things about it though

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado

Good looking bike! Sounds like some promising early opinions on the motor too. It's also on the lighter side. Unfortunately the geometry had me losing interest (long seat tube, STA too slack, reach too short). I wonder what the new Kawa geo will look like (I'd guess on the safe/generic side).

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
and also an all kawasaki dh bike with 6" rear travel and a kx80 fork that could be 6 or 8" of travel. I dont know if kawasaki ever went to market with it though. They had n american riders but we never seen it again. Tattoo Lou DeAngelis was their rider
Over here around 1999 Kawasaki co-sponsored the DIRT magazine Intense DH team. The bikes were just resprayed (Kawa green) M1s with kawasaki decals.
Among the riders were Nige Page (WC rider/Nukeproof team manager), Nibs Kellet(Masters multi nat DH champ), Steve Jones (dirt mag/emtbnetwork), Chris Porter (Mojo suspension/Geometron owner)

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Over here around 1999 Kawasaki co-sponsored the DIRT magazine Intense DH team. The bikes were just resprayed (Kawa green) M1s with kawasaki decals.
Among the riders were Nige Page (WC rider/Nukeproof team manager), Nibs Kellet(Masters multi nat DH champ), Steve Jones (dirt mag/emtbnetwork), Chris Porter (Mojo suspension/Geometron owner)
Ah cool. Surprised i havent heard a Steve story on this on embn. Could be a good show goung from that kx80 forked bike through the m1 to a modern emtb

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I really liked Steve Jones journalism when he did a lot of DH coverage/interviews/tech for Dirt and other magazines but ironically can't stand watching him on the emtbn channel. But I sorta hate the sort of ugly uphill mototrials inspired riding he seems to favour on emtbs and some of the advice he gives out is just awful. Kind of a shame as he was a really fast rider BITD. Raced Elite DH in the UK and did a good few WCs. Never a stylish rider though and couldn't jump for shit even back then. :LOL:

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Ya that channel in general can be cringe worthy with the marketing bs they fling. Occasionally i still enjoy at and they crack me up sometimes. Ive been skimming past it recently until this latest ewsE coverage which has been great. Nico bike check was cool. Need more of that

three dots

Nov 14, 2022
Cheltenham
Product Image: View attachment 35575

90 NM
2880 grams
250 watts
500 wh battery

Opinion:

Video Review
Hi, I've just seen this post because I was seeking info on the E-P3 motor, and wanted to ask for more details about how it's user serviceable, please. My Bianchi Impulso e-allroad has this motor, and there's a metallic creak with every pedal stroke, which I want to find and eliminate. It has FSA cranks and chainrings, and I've been to a LBS to make sure all the bolts in the area are tight.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles