Pole Voima: Race Axles - Installation

NickyTee

Sep 20, 2022
UK
Welcome to my spare bedroom/bike workshop!

If anyone is looking to change the standard axles in their Voima for the race axles, here is how it’s done.

Full credit to Eero at Pole for all the help with this. The instructions below are direct from Eero, the pictures and comments are mine. Torque settings are from the frame assembly video.

I hope this helps someone - it was much easier than I envisioned. The design of the pivots makes swapping the axles, as well as changing the bearings, super easy. Excellent work by the smart cookies at Pole. I also have to say that the work that’s gone into these axles is exceptional, especially for a part that won’t usually see the light of day.

Instructions (from once you’ve removed the shock, yokes and swingarm):

· take a rubber mallet and tap the axles out (another side of the bearings remains in the frame, other comes out with the old axle)
· remove the bearing from the old axle (if its good) or remove the other bearing from the frame (if they are not good), I went with old bearings because they were still smooth after 6 months of riding
· install a new bearing to the frame or the removed old bearing to the new axle, or replace bearings anyway.
· put the axles back into the frame (at this point the other bearing should be in the frame)
· install the other side bearing
· put the linkage/swingarms back, this tightens the package to its final tightness

1. Remove shock and yokes.

3.jpeg

2. Remove swingarm. These are 6mm self-extracting bolts. I used a ratchet with an extension to keep the handle away from the frame.

4.jpeg

3. Knock out axles and opposite-side bearings. I used a Park HMR-4, plastic side down. Be sure to give the frame solid, but padded, support.

5.jpeg

4. Standard vs. Race axles.

6.jpeg

5. Axles and bearings loosely assembled in frame.

7.jpeg

6. Attaching the swingarm (20Nm) presses bearings into their seats.

8.jpeg

7. Mount the shock (15Nm) - all done. Notice how much stiffer it looks! 🥳

9.jpeg

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I was wondering what the difference between the race and normal builds was. Axles look beef compared to the holy stockers for sure.

Is there also a difference between the regular motor and race motor? Maybe I'm making things up but I thought I saw "race" script on one of the motots on their site.

Cool build btw, looking forward to your ride impressions.

D

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I was wondering what the difference between the race and normal builds was. Axles look beef compared to the holy stockers for sure.

Is there also a difference between the regular motor and race motor? Maybe I'm making things up but I thought I saw "race" script on one of the motots on their site.

Cool build btw, looking forward to your ride impressions.

D
Race motor has magnesium motor cases and is a 150grams lighter, and has the additional race more.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles