Pole Voima Is Incredible

nanorapture

Dec 10, 2022
Santa Rosa, California
While I fully recommend the Voima for any e-mtber, it might pose a dilemma with these 2 steeds in your stable. I've briefly test rode a Rise and have been with my Voima since mid July. Despite the obvious differences, these bikes are thematically quite different. The Rise is an excellent example of an agile MTB with an efficient "dash" of assist (coming from a modded EP8 rather than the small motor brethren of Fazua and TQ) and modest weight. As such the bike is quite approachable and familiar and can be ridden in a manner like most mtbs we've come to know a love of over the years.

The Voima OTH, takes the full power and weight of a Bosch e-bike powertrain and leans into a full 29er with 190mm travel all around as a design objective. What kind of geometry and suspension design would be required so that it doesn't act like a clumsy "monster truck"? Rather, how could one take advantage of these major components and produce a very fast and capable bike on uphills, downhills, and in curves, yet still retain a long travel, long wheelbase advantage? It would have to be a very different kind of bike and the Voima is just that: a very different kind of bike and it needs to be ridden in a different kind of way may that not be instantly approachable like with the Rise.

Which brings to mind the only real problem I have with this bike: once I got used to it and became able to exploit what it can provide to the riding experience, it makes all my other bikes feel "off" somehow, like they all belong to a different, older, generational mindset of what an MTB is or how it should handle. Which brings me back to your question if a Rise/Voima combo makes sense. Perhaps yes, but only for the time it takes to understand riding the Voima. After that, one bike will likely be consistently chosen over the other.
Thanks for your take on the Voima. I would like to get in touch with someone in the USA, preferably California, who has a Voima. Would like to know the Import Duty $$$ to the USA.

nanorapture

Dec 10, 2022
Santa Rosa, California
I didn’t have to pay any 🤷‍♂️
thanks for the reply. could you elaborate on your answer? did you order yourself direct from finland as a regular customer? was it a gift from someone else? are you in the military? did you get any customs status at all with the shipment? this extra duty tax issue is the only thing holding me back from an order. I would like to know if I will need to pay an extra $2000 or not. thanks again for any clarification you can provide!

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
thanks for the reply. could you elaborate on your answer? did you order yourself direct from finland as a regular customer? was it a gift from someone else? are you in the military? did you get any customs status at all with the shipment? this extra duty tax issue is the only thing holding me back from an order. I would like to know if I will need to pay an extra $2000 or not. thanks again for any clarification you can provide!
I ordered frame only direct from Finland, normal customer, normal shipping, no military. Missed original delivery and just picked up from post office 🤙

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I am looking at Voimas, and was just researching the available stock Cane Creek coil shock for it. Would love to hear your take on the coil on the Voima!
High Rock Ruti

I've about 270 miles on the Voima with the cane creek. The bike came with the 450 lbs spring just installed a 600 lbs spring. Couldn't get proper sag 30% according to cane creek. I'm 215 lbs with gear they calculated to 587 lbs for the spring, Erran at cane suggested never under springing. I'll report back on the ride, initially; sag is correct, feels pretty stiff however. Overall I'm not sold on the coil shock but it's my first and I'm a fiddler so some experimenting is called for.
The voima is a different animal altogether stand over is terribly high my large is 7 feet long from tire edge to edge 6 or 7 inches longer than any other of the 4 bikes I own. Below the fellow said that other bikes feel "outdated" is a good impression. I will say with so many bikes I tend to ignore the other bike's for the new bike, what ever it is. Last week I took out the 2020 Trek 9.8, what a fantastic riding bike that is.
I think this is safely called a "first world problem". I love all my bikes really, but the Voima is getting ridden lately. It's fantastic not yet my favorite, the ground clearance is great, the level crank/axel path is really innovative. I'm a intermediate rider so I don't have the chops or the nerve to ride close the Voima potential, I love the bike the more I ride it.

Warm Regards Ruti

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
High Rock Ruti

I've about 270 miles on the Voima with the cane creek. The bike came with the 450 lbs spring just installed a 600 lbs spring. Couldn't get proper sag 30% according to cane creek. I'm 215 lbs with gear they calculated to 587 lbs for the spring, Erran at cane suggested never under springing. I'll report back on the ride, initially; sag is correct, feels pretty stiff however. Overall I'm not sold on the coil shock but it's my first and I'm a fiddler so some experimenting is called for.
The voima is a different animal altogether stand over is terribly high my large is 7 feet long from tire edge to edge 6 or 7 inches longer than any other of the 4 bikes I own. Below the fellow said that other bikes feel "outdated" is a good impression. I will say with so many bikes I tend to ignore the other bike's for the new bike, what ever it is. Last week I took out the 2020 Trek 9.8, what a fantastic riding bike that is.
I think this is safely called a "first world problem". I love all my bikes really, but the Voima is getting ridden lately. It's fantastic not yet my favorite, the ground clearance is great, the level crank/axel path is really innovative. I'm a intermediate rider so I don't have the chops or the nerve to ride close the Voima potential, I love the bike the more I ride it.

Warm Regards Ruti
Perhaps to big for you when the 6'3" pinkbike tester preferred the k2 size.
It's made me rethink my size choice certainly at 6'.

nanorapture

Dec 10, 2022
Santa Rosa, California
High Rock Ruti

Warm Regards Ruti
Thanks Ruti for the great insight into the Voima!

This would also be my first coil shock. Looks like the leverage ratio for 30% sag on the Voima is 2.70. so 215 lbs x 2.70 = 580.0 lb. spring, so a 600 lb spring is what you want. I'm 185lbs all up, so 2.70 x 185 = 499.5 lb. spring for me. which is your favorite bike? the trek 9.8?

Did you buy your bike fully built? What kind of custom import duties did you pay?

Happy Holidays to all! -Lee

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Thanks Ruti for the great insight into the Voima!

This would also be my first coil shock. Looks like the leverage ratio for 30% sag on the Voima is 2.70. so 215 lbs x 2.70 = 580.0 lb. spring, so a 600 lb spring is what you want. I'm 185lbs all up, so 2.70 x 185 = 499.5 lb. spring for me. which is your favorite bike? the trek 9.8?

Did you buy your bike fully built? What kind of custom import duties did you pay?

Happy Holidays to all! -Lee
High Rock Ruti

Yes bought full bike assembled.
There's no import duty to USA.

I like the voima over the Trek, voima over the 2021 Specialized pro, I'll ride the Orbea wild fs team tomorrow, the orbea is a really great riding bike. So let's be careful about taking this too seriously. Each of these bikes rides really well, sorry to confuse the debate, I think modern electric bike's are fantastically well thought out, there are other bikes I'd love to ride too.
That being said the size consideration is a major decision, I do wish I had a smaller size, remembering my skill is limited, it could be that a better rider at 6' 215 lbs would be sized right. Ask Rob he's well over 6 feet and got the large?

Warm Regards Ruti

nanorapture

Dec 10, 2022
Santa Rosa, California
High Rock Ruti

Yes bought full bike assembled.
There's no import duty to USA.

I like the voima over the Trek, voima over the 2021 Specialized pro, I'll ride the Orbea wild fs team tomorrow, the orbea is a really great riding bike. So let's be careful about taking this too seriously. Each of these bikes rides really well, sorry to confuse the debate, I think modern electric bike's are fantastically well thought out, there are other bikes I'd love to ride too.
That being said the size consideration is a major decision, I do wish I had a smaller size, remembering my skill is limited, it could be that a better rider at 6' 215 lbs would be sized right. Ask Rob he's well over 6 feet and got the large?

Warm Regards Ruti
Thanks for your thoughtful responses Ruti! No import tax makes this a screaming deal relative to for instance Specialized Levo. I was also considering the Orbea, so would like to hear your opinion of that bike. -Lee

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
Thanks for your take on the Voima. I would like to get in touch with someone in the USA, preferably California, who has a Voima. Would like to know the Import Duty $$$ to the USA.
Ordered a K1 frame and with no duty attached. For US customers, I've said before this bike is an insane steal because the strength of the US Dollar. A lot of US brands and international brands have domestic dealerships have marked up there bikes for the US. Case and point a $16K Scott Lumen.

Also, I'm fairly nearby Santa Rosa if you want to sport a look at the bike in Storm Grey.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Thanks for your thoughtful responses Ruti! No import tax makes this a screaming deal relative to for instance Specialized Levo. I was also considering the Orbea, so would like to hear your opinion of that bike. -Lee
High Rock Ruti

The most poignant experience was taking a buddy out for a 14 mile flow trail ride. I had the turbo levo pro and the orbea fs team. Half way through the ride we switched bikes. We both liked the orbea better, it was easier to ride, more agile, more intuitive. It was really interesting having never ridden the two bikes back to back, off one on the other the differences are way easier to feel than just using the other bike the next day.
I'm lucky I can afford to buy what ever bikes I want however there's an electric bike reality, if you insist on riding everyday, you need backup bikes this happened twice this week two bikes not shifting correctly off one on the second and now a third (the Orbea) today on an inch of fresh snow, oh boy!

New chains and cassette on the way

Warm Regards Ruti

nanorapture

Dec 10, 2022
Santa Rosa, California
Ordered a K1 frame and with no duty attached. For US customers, I've said before this bike is an insane steal because the strength of the US Dollar. A lot of US brands and international brands have domestic dealerships have marked up there bikes for the US. Case and point a $16K Scott Lumen.

Also, I'm fairly nearby Santa Rosa if you want to sport a look at the bike in Storm Grey.
Thanks Slick! You can order a Voima and put $2k into it, and still be thousands $$$ ahead. Where you at?

Last edited:

nanorapture

Dec 10, 2022
Santa Rosa, California
High Rock Ruti

The most poignant experience was taking a buddy out for a 14 mile flow trail ride. I had the turbo levo pro and the orbea fs team. Half way through the ride we switched bikes. We both liked the orbea better, it was easier to ride, more agile, more intuitive. It was really interesting having never ridden the two bikes back to back, off one on the other the differences are way easier to feel than just using the other bike the next day.
I'm lucky I can afford to buy what ever bikes I want however there's an electric bike reality, if you insist on riding everyday, you need backup bikes this happened twice this week two bikes not shifting correctly off one on the second and now a third (the Orbea) today on an inch of fresh snow, oh boy!

New chains and cassette on the way

Warm Regards Ruti
Thanks Ruti, still considering all bikes, and I really like the Orbeas. Cheers Mate!

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I read an interesting article about measuring up your bike size by the RAD number, and that once you have your number your bike shouldn't deviate to much from this number.
Are there any Voima owners who have measured this metric, or do these measuring techniques not really work for the Voima?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk

Yorkshire Heathen

Oct 31, 2022
UK
I read an interesting article about measuring up your bike size by the RAD number, and that once you have your number your bike shouldn't deviate to much from this number.
Are there any Voima owners who have measured this metric, or do these measuring techniques not really work for the Voima?
I just checked and I'm a tad over this number, probably mostly because of adding more rise on my bars due to a spine problem, but RAD does seem to favour having a more agile (smaller) bike that you can chuck around more? I'm also not sure how easily this translates to an emtb as there are many dynamic factors that change with a motor and added weight? The Voima's unique proposition is, as you suggest, probably another confounding variable. If you use this number I think you are going to end up with a Voima at the smaller end of the Pole recommendation (more agile) versus the larger end (more stable). Personally I think there are too many variables for this standardisation to be a particularly accurate method of sizing. In my guesstimate I think Pole's own sizing guide is probably just as good, but still a gamble if you can't sit on the thing first. I got lucky going for the larger end of the scale (K4 - 6'4" tall) because it just feels so planted and predictable, which is what an old dude like me mostly needs. 👴

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
I just checked and I'm a tad over this number, probably mostly because of adding more rise on my bars due to a spine problem, but RAD does seem to favour having a more agile (smaller) bike that you can chuck around more? I'm also not sure how easily this translates to an emtb as there are many dynamic factors that change with a motor and added weight? The Voima's unique proposition is, as you suggest, probably another confounding variable. If you use this number I think you are going to end up with a Voima at the smaller end of the Pole recommendation (more agile) versus the larger end (more stable). Personally I think there are too many variables for this standardisation to be a particularly accurate method of sizing. In my guesstimate I think Pole's own sizing guide is probably just as good, but still a gamble if you can't sit on the thing first. I got lucky going for the larger end of the scale (K4 - 6'4" tall) because it just feels so planted and predictable, which is what an old dude like me mostly needs. 👴
What’s nice about the Voima is even the smaller sizes are still super stable and planted as well as agile, (I’m on a K1).

Yorkshire Heathen

Oct 31, 2022
UK
What’s nice about the Voima is even the smaller sizes are still super stable and planted as well as agile, (I’m on a K1).
It's all relative. I can fall off even without a bike 😁 I agree though, you are still going to be well between the wheels whether you go super long grandad style or not, so it's unlikely to be super twitchy like say my old Whyte PRST-1 fully cross country, from back in the day. Which is kind of why there are too many variables for one formula. Unfortunately try before you buy with the Voima is unavailable, so it's all kind of N=1 anecdotal so far, with a lot of useful info from riders. Us owners can mostly agree on one thing. It's a fookin beast!

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

I own the large or the size just down from the largest size they sell. This bike is huge! 7 feet from tire edge to edge. A really high stand over, I'm 6 feet and 210 pounds with gear. The bike feels very different than a regular bike, for comparison I've got a large levo pro, Large Orbea team fs, large Trek Rail 9.8, all fantastic bikes. The Voima is in another league of geometry, straight axels through crank path, super high BB which is fantastic. I apologize for being all over the place, so what am I saying, this bike ride fantastically it just "feels" so different than anything I've ever ridden, oddly despite its gigantic proportions, on technical rock rides incredibly well plowing over and through it all, tight switch backs not so much, although it easy to track stand on. The feel of it is taking some greater nerve, not the mention it seems like your standing a foot higher off the ground so the idea of coming off the bike is scarier. I love it. So second thoughts of how to spec. The gold is GOLD!, the AXS derailleur is a POS, pay for the best ZEB, not blow away by the Ultimate, the coil shock is awful, get the good air shock, buy the armor for the bottom, chain ring guard, I got Kiox I like having a display personal preference, although the Bosch controller is as big as the bike, they have a new one. In gold it looks like industrial art, spectacular, but be prepared for attention good and bad.

Warm Regards Ruti

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
What made you go for the k1? Where you guided by the size chart or the geo numbers?
What size bike do you usually ride?
Sorry for all the questions, but at 174cm I'm right at the top end of the k1 but comfortably in the range of the k2 for speed.
I normally ride bikes in medium, but that seems to have no bearing on the voimas numbers!

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
What made you go for the k1? Where you guided by the size chart or the geo numbers?
What size bike do you usually ride?
Sorry for all the questions, but at 174cm I'm right at the top end of the k1 but comfortably in the range of the k2 for speed.
I normally ride bikes in medium, but that seems to have no bearing on the voimas numbers!
I’m 5’7 and I usually ride a small. I was afraid it might be too long because the k1 is a lot longer than all of my other bikes, but the steep seat tube keeps the cockpit about the same as my other bikes. I could have gone with a k2, but I wanted it to be more nimble and playful. Mission accomplished. It’s perfect for me, it turns great and can still plow if I want and It’s more stable than my DH bike is too!

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I’m 5’7 and I usually ride a small. I was afraid it might be too long because the k1 is a lot longer than all of my other bikes, but the steep seat tube keeps the cockpit about the same as my other bikes. I could have gone with a k2, but I wanted it to be more nimble and playful. Mission accomplished. It’s perfect for me, it turns great and can still plow if I want and It’s more stable than my DH bike is too!
Thanks for your response.
I sometimes think I'm over thinking this sizing thing, bikes now days are so expensive and impossible to test ride, that I'm just afraid of a costly mistake.
I think the truth is I could comfortably ride either a k1 or 2 at my size.

wavekiter

Feb 12, 2023
Europe
Hey everyone
This is my first post here, so let me start with saying that I'm stoked of all the great info I already got while silently reading this forum. Two thumbs up to the community here :)

I recently got the Voima in K2 with race axles, semi custom build. Am 180cm, T-Rex shape (34 inch legs, short torso and arms), 72kg. Used to race some enduro stuff, pretty solid skills and fitness. My other bike is a Yeti SB150

After 3 rides so far, I'm absolutely stoked with how the Voima rides. Love the ride feeling, love the high bottom bracket, the whole geo is spot on for my taste. I don't feel it's slow turning, all the contrary, as long as weight is even between both pedals. Also just amazing in the uphill.

The only slight disappointment has been the mileage I get out of the battery. So far, the battery is gone after about 40km and 1000m elevation. I'd have expected more, as I don't ride turbo mode (was mostly in adaptive, and on the flat in eco).
I must note that temperatures around here are currently between -5 and 5 degrees Celsius, so maybe when it gets warmer, the battery will last a bit longer.
But otherwise I'll need a second battery. I did some research (bear in mind I'm still quite a newbie with eMtbs), but so far I have not found a way to add a second battery to the bosch smart system.

Can anyone help with this ?

Many thanks in advance,
Matt

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Hey everyone
This is my first post here, so let me start with saying that I'm stoked of all the great info I already got while silently reading this forum. Two thumbs up to the community here :)

I recently got the Voima in K2 with race axles, semi custom build. Am 180cm, T-Rex shape (34 inch legs, short torso and arms), 72kg. Used to race some enduro stuff, pretty solid skills and fitness. My other bike is a Yeti SB150

After 3 rides so far, I'm absolutely stoked with how the Voima rides. Love the ride feeling, love the high bottom bracket, the whole geo is spot on for my taste. I don't feel it's slow turning, all the contrary, as long as weight is even between both pedals. Also just amazing in the uphill.

The only slight disappointment has been the mileage I get out of the battery. So far, the battery is gone after about 40km and 1000m elevation. I'd have expected more, as I don't ride turbo mode (was mostly in adaptive, and on the flat in eco).
I must note that temperatures around here are currently between -5 and 5 degrees Celsius, so maybe when it gets warmer, the battery will last a bit longer.
But otherwise I'll need a second battery. I did some research (bear in mind I'm still quite a newbie with eMtbs), but so far I have not found a way to add a second battery to the bosch smart system.

Many thanks in advance,
Matt
I think your mileage will improve with warmer temperatures. But I don’t think you can add any more batteries, but you can get a spare and leave in in your transportation vehicle and swap them when you run out of charge. You can also get better range if your riding in a lower gear on climbs and not pushing too tall of a gear and bogging the motor down.

Yorkshire Heathen

Oct 31, 2022
UK
Hey everyone

Many thanks in advance,
Matt

wavekiter

Feb 12, 2023
Europe
Did a bit more research regarding a 2nd battery for the Bosch Smart system.
Found this:

I conclude that in principle, it should be possible to run 2 batteries in parallel with the smart system.

Anyone knows an instruction manual with all the pieces required for adding the 2nd battery, or could guide me into the right direction?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles