Voima Sizing Questions/Views/Opinions

CheeckyChippies

Sep 9, 2022
Finland
Hello everyone!

I had a couple of good demo rides on the Voima last week and, as the people here are eager to hear how she rides, I thought I’d give a little review based on my first experiences on the bike. First of all I’m 177 cm and weigh 72kg and I mainly rode the K2 but I had a quick go on the K1 as well.

What Immediately struck me was how agile the bike is considering its length compared to most other bikes out there. I come from a 2021 size M Meta Power and even though it was about 7cm shorter than the Pole, I thing Voima is the more agile bike of the two. Going around the corners is easy and there is so much grip! Some of that comes from the Maxxis DH casing MaxxGrip tyres that were fitted to the demo bike, but I did also try the bike with a lighter set of wheels and tyres and the cornering was still great. I’ve never been so sideways on a bike and somehow not eat shit while doing so.

The cockpit of the K2 felt roomy for me and the bike is so efficient to pedal. The suspension doesn’t really bob at all, which imho makes this bike great for all around trail riding (at least here in Finland where the trails in general are quite rocky, rooty and rough). Yes there is a lot of suspension, but I think because of the design there isn’t really any downsides to having all that squish. It climbs great and when you point the thing down the hill she just flies through the rough stuff. For self shuttling this is the perfect bike!

The K2 demo bike that I rode had DH casing tyres and inserts front and rear and weight in about 26kg, which is a lot on paper, but the bike mostly feels light to ride. Only exception for me was that I found it quite hard to bunny hop and manual on flatter trails. At first I thought it was due to the weight of the bike and I tried a lighter set of wheels and tyres to see how it would affect the ride. With the wheel and tyre swap I got the bikes weight down to around 25 kg. What I found was that A: It didn’t help my bunny hops and B: the benefits of the lighter wheels in terms of ride quality on an ebike were neglectable and I much preferred the grip and the more damped feeling of the DH casing tyres. Of course there is more drag, but that’s why you have a motor and a big battery. In regards to jumping, once you find a rock to pop off or a jump, the bike jumps fine and is quite poppy for its size.

I also had one ride on the K1 and to my surprise, even though it weight about the same as the K2, I found it really easy to bunny hop and manual. To me it felt even more agile, energetic and fun to ride on the trails. The reach is the same as my previous Commencal, so maybe that is part of the reason why I straight away felt more at home riding the K1. The seat tube is really steep so for me the seated riding position is quite cramped, but still roomier than the geo chart would suggest. I switched the stem from 40mm to a 50mm to give me a bit more room on the cockpit and with that I felt that I could just about feel comfortable while pedaling.

This got me thinking if the long reach was the reason I found it hard to bunny hop and manual the K2. Hopefully I’ll get to have another ride on the K2 next week and try it with slightly higher stack or a shorter stem to see how that affects the ride. Or maybe I just need more time (and muscle) to get used to the bigger bike.

The craftsmanship of this bike is second to none. The pictures really don’t do justice to the bike. She is a thing of beauty. It’s also one of those bikes you need to ride to fully appreciate the concept. On paper it seems quite out there, but when you get to ride it for a period of time it just makes sense.

Will this be my next bike? I haven’t decided yet, but it certainly is high on the list! I still need to try a couple of other bikes for reference and the sizing is giving me a bit of a head ache. In all honestly, for my riding, I would probably need a K1.5 😁. But realistically I would have to decide which would make more sense, to try to make the K2 a bit shorter or the K1 a bit longer. But that’s just me and I have this sizing problem with most of the brands out there so I’m sure other people will find the sizing to match their riding better!

IMG_3095 2.JPG
68389876173__3A28E50F-764D-4D87-8871-783A15ACDD09.JPG

Dozer

Oct 13, 2022
Norway
I'll reserve the full comparison till I've released the Voima video.

I'm around your height (6'4) and would also like to know what you think of the frame sizing. As I understand it you have the K3, but could you also be comfortable with the K4?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
When you mention it. When do you think you will release it?
I must say I enjoy your videos and look forward to your thoughts on the Voima.
(This bike is in on my short list )
I'm around your height (6'4) and would also like to know what you think of the frame sizing. As I understand it you have the K3, but could you also be comfortable with the K4?
first week of november (ish)

I'm on K3 but could easily ride a k4. If I were to buy one it'd be the K3.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
I'm on K3 but could easily ride a k4. If I were to buy one it'd be the K3.
What size do you reckon for 183cm rider? The Pole site says k2 or k3 depending but of course that doesnt really help me decide. I imagine the bike feels short seated compared to reach number with steep seattube angle but is that enough to make me go k3? Awfully long wheelbase on the k3 has me thinking going k2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tankboy

Jun 23, 2022
Weymouth
Its a bit odd for me, I'm 183cms, my 'normal' ride a SC Nomad in XL is around 75cms longer in reach saddle to bars than the Voima, so I found the K3 sized Voima seated was like riding a medium sized bike and was loading up my hands, arms and shoulders to much on a ride resulting in fatigue. So I fitted a seat extender on my reverb seat post which moves it back about 27mm, then raised the bars a another 10mm and its now acceptable? Would be good to try a K4 for comparison but I really don't fancy it being even longer than it is now. Like others have said its about personal preference - I'm defo no pro rider type!

I guess if I lived in the mountains with a ton of tech climbs nearby it would be great as stock for the climbing ability, but with my long arms and never really having any tech climbing problems or trails near by, I wish they would put the seat angle back a few degrees? But that is 100% personal preference? (Saying that, as each frame is built without a mold and CNC'ed from stock Ali they could offer a custom tune , would only (!) need a bit of CAD and new tool path program)

Its defiantly a long tall bike but all that disappears when you ride it, it really changes direction well and is very flickable. Feels almost like a real DH bike down the Double blacks tech except for extra weight on the front due to the battery, but that's a problem with all ebikes?

Only upgrade I'm thinking is a coil EXT shock with HBC.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
Its a bit odd for me, I'm 183cms, my 'normal' ride a SC Nomad in XL is around 75cms longer in reach saddle to bars than the Voima, so I found the K3 sized Voima seated was like riding a medium sized bike and was loading up my hands, arms and shoulders to much on a ride resulting in fatigue. So I fitted a seat extender on my reverb seat post which moves it back about 27mm, then raised the bars a another 10mm and its now acceptable? Would be good to try a K4 for comparison but I really don't fancy it being even longer than it is now. Like others have said its about personal preference - I'm defo no pro rider type!

I guess if I lived in the mountains with a ton of tech climbs nearby it would be great as stock for the climbing ability, but with my long arms and never really having any tech climbing problems or trails near by, I wish they would put the seat angle back a few degrees? But that is 100% personal preference? (Saying that, as each frame is built without a mold and CNC'ed from stock Ali they could offer a custom tune , would only (!) need a bit of CAD and new tool path program)

Its defiantly a long tall bike but all that disappears when you ride it, it really changes direction well and is very flickable. Feels almost like a real DH bike down the Double blacks tech except for extra weight on the front due to the battery, but that's a problem with all ebikes?

thats crazy that a K3 feels like a medium with a 1343 wheelbase!

my dh bike is 1290 wheelbase and my current size large scott ransom eride is 1287. but i know what you are saying about these steep seat tube angles, my ransom eride is very steep seattube angle and feels small seated and i have the seat pushed all the way back.

but picking between k2 and k3 sizing is really what is holding me back for months now on ordering one of these, i just dont know which way to go

Jay29er

Subscriber
Jun 30, 2022
TN

Makes me rethink on the sizing. Was leaning toward the k3. Now reading this maybe a k4 would fit me better. Currently around 187-188cm. Like longer reach. Currently riding specialized KSL in S5 size. Anybody else my height on a K4?

Tankboy

Jun 23, 2022
Weymouth
Like all things its about personal preference - I do have knuckle draggingly long arms, finding jackets and tops with long enough arms is difficult for me, so my bike sizing is a bit odd with a preference for a longer top tube/reach distance?

Once the seat is dropped it feels very long in a K3 size, more so than any DH bike I've owned, so its super stable but still nibble?

BTW this the product that sorted my Voima? If you have a Reverb seatpost (not AXS) will throw the saddle backwards by 27mm. You could also buy a saddle which allows more adjustment rearwards as there not all built with the same rail profiles?

1667068212669.png

1667068281988.png

Last edited:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
The problem is we have all become obsessed with Reach. However with these steeper seat tubes the effective too tube becomes so much shorter. So my Large Rise has a reach of 474 the K2 480 but my top tube is 619 compared to 591 this is because the Pole has such a steep seat angle. Reach is the space in the cockpit when standing up! & top tube is when sitting down! Which can make such a big bike feel cramped when your sitting down which on an ebike could be more than on a normal bike

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
The problem is we have all become obsessed with Reach. However with these steeper seat tubes the effective too tube becomes so much shorter. So my Large Rise has a reach of 474 the K2 480 but my top tube is 619 compared to 591 this is because the Pole has such a steep seat angle. Reach is the space in the cockpit when standing up! & top tube is when sitting down! Which can make such a big bike feel cramped when your sitting down which on an ebike could be more than on a normal bike
What height are u? Do u wish u had gone up to K3?

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
DH performance is Zero to do with STA and everything to do with reach and front to rear center ratio.
Top tube is not an important measurement.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
DH performance is Zero to do with STA and everything to do with reach and front to rear center ratio.
I agree with that but more than half the time you're peddling the bike and you need to have a comfortable position for that as well

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I agree but being an ebike NOT a DH bike it’s pedalled uphill too in order to do laps at the bike park etc, whilst sitting down this is when bike can feel cramped!

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
If you optimize the bike for DH and the STA compromises the feel of the bike while seated then it needs adjusted IMO.
Steep STA are good for climbing steep hills and not much else. Everything is a balancing act and for a bike like this seated "feel" is way down on the list.
On a sub 150mm bike that's a different story.

Tankboy

Jun 23, 2022
Weymouth
It was a deal breaker for me, either find a way to take the load off the arms riding the Voima or sell it? I was getting arm, shoulder and hand fatigue even after only short rides of an hour or less. The aggressive seat post angle pushes all your weight forward even when peddling on the flat, great on paper for a climbing position or traction etc, not great if you have long arms. Bought an ebike so I've a flexible fun tool for either doing proper downhill or easy power assisted XC rides so it needed to tick both boxes?

Now with the seat further back using the Drop Best and few more spacers under the stem it solved it, went out for 5hr ride yesterday for example and all was good. You have to sit forward a bit to drop the saddle and yeah it might wear the seat post a bit more than normal but I've rebuilt them no probs?

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Ive been saying this for a while and no one believed me. The latest trend of ultra steep sa's is for winching up hills on an mtb. On an emtb you have added flow so its more playful not being jacked over the front of the bike. Also on an emtb your seat will be down farther and farther as it gets steeper. That allows you to stay low so you dont loop out and you can ride tech better without the seat in the way limiting movement. As you move the seat down , in effect, the sa will be getting steeper.
Another good reason to mullet the voima and then theres always offset bushings. Still a beautiful bike and i still want one. Id tweak it a bit but thats ez

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
It was a deal breaker for me, either find a way to take the load off the arms riding the Voima or sell it? I was getting arm, shoulder and hand fatigue even after only short rides of an hour or less. The aggressive seat post angle pushes all your weight forward even when peddling on the flat, great on paper for a climbing position or traction etc, not great if you have long arms. Bought an ebike so I've a flexible fun tool for either doing proper downhill or easy power assisted XC rides so it needed to tick both boxes?

Now with the seat further back using the Drop Best and few more spacers under the stem it solved it, went out for 5hr ride yesterday for example and all was good. You have to sit forward a bit to drop the saddle and yeah it might wear the seat post a bit more than normal but I've rebuilt them no probs?

How tall is your riser bar and how much stack did you add under the stem?

This bike really, really needs to be ridden upright. My initial inclination was to push the seat post back all the way an lean more over the front of the bike - as if i needed a longer seat so I could push it further back still. But this was all wrong because I put the handlebars too low with 20mm riser, trying to mimic my Levo. Now it seams a 35mm riser is hardly enough (though I added some more stem spacers to compensate). I think 45mm riser would be even better. Point is when you ride more upright with this bike:
  1. You can bend your elbows without fatigue and bent elbows gives more control with your COG, especially in corners
  2. You're in a good sitting stance for uphills with hi STA, for which this bike is dreamy.
  3. You don't need to position your weight as further back on downhills

YMMV for your particular proportions, but this I feel this will be a recurring theme when riders set up the bike for the first time.

Last edited:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
View attachment 104468

Her Name is Big Gurl. Because she’s more than 10kg heavier than all my other bikes.
Loving the bike, looks beautiful.
Notice you got the K1 size.
How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?
I'm 175cm and am torn between K1 or K2, I normally ride a size medium.
Do you think the Voima comes up as big as the Reach numbers suggest?

D

Deleted member 9685

Loving the bike, looks beautiful.
Notice you got the K1 size.
How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?
I'm 175cm and am torn between K1 or K2, I normally ride a size medium.
Do you think the Voima comes up as big as the Reach numbers suggest?
It’s a K2. I’m 5’9” (175cm).

The in the saddle reach feels perfect for me. 38mm rise bars. Standing it feels like my V10 (other than weight). This is for sure a go fast bike but with all the wobble in the rear I’m not sure I’ll keep it.

Size can be pretty subjective. My go fast DH bike is a 2022 SC V10 in large. My big air DH bike ks a 2022 Scott gambler in small. My enduro is a v3 wreckoning in medium. Levo SL is a medium too.

This bike is the longest for sure. Can’t really do much review when my trails are all leaf covered slime or mud right now. The small jumps that I have sent even at high speed the back end wobbles like a mofo. So for sure get the race axels unless you really don’t leave the seat or ground.

Or ride like @Karve who only feels a “smidge more flex” 😂 in the rear…..

Is it a range extender you have in the front of the shock ?. Really nice bike btw , i am not jealous

Thanks bro. It’s for the lupine alpha light.

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
Getting mine soon - going to probably go for the K2 😱 190cm tall. But the wheelbase is still longer than my Kenevo S4.
Why K2 if you don’t mind answering? Just to get that agile feeling?
I’m ~196 myself, and I’m so glad I went K4, had thoughts going K3 initially.
My first proper fitting bike is Pole Machine which has similar reach(535) to K4 Voima and it was a true revelation on how the bike should really fit. I simply was riding undersized bikes for decade and having my ass behind rear hub or even wheel itself was not unusual sight.
I do have short-ish inseam and longish torso+arms though.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just to get that agile feeling?
I do like long bikes for sure, but I find that as long as the geo works, I can ride a shorter size as long as its slack / stable enough. And yes, the more agile the better, but partnered with the long travel and 63.5 HA I think it'll work (I hope!!)

My Rail is 486mm (ish) of reach in size L with the 170mm fork, the Kenevo must be around 490mm, and the Pole at 480 is on the smaller size, but I can always add a +5mm reach adjust to bring it to a similar level to my Rail / Kenevo.

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
Pole_evolink_1_4_size_chart-1-1920x283.png
Did some search in metric units (while I’m from US I headdesk at height measurement used here, especially confused by mixing inches and decimal feet).

Richie is 182cm, that’s borderline m/l, so I can see it working for him on smaller frame.
Leigh is 187cm, so K2 choice is a bit surprising for us mere mortals.
190cm and K2 still more surprising to me personally, but I understand how that happens. Just was curious on hearing reasoning.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Pole_evolink_1_4_size_chart-1-1920x283.png
Did some search in metric units (while I’m from US I headdesk at height measurement used here, especially confused by mixing inches and decimal feet).

Richie is 182cm, that’s borderline m/l, so I can see it working for him on smaller frame.
Leigh is 187cm, so K2 choice is a bit surprising for us mere mortals.
190cm and K2 still more surprising to me personally, but I understand how that happens. Just was curious on hearing reasoning.
yea its surprising that @Rob Rides EMTB is going K2 !!!!
I am 186cm and wouldnt dream of getting a K2 looking at those charts
is it something specific to that bike that means mere mortals can get away with it ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
yea its surprising that @Rob Rides EMTB is going K2 !!!!
I am 186cm and wouldnt dream of getting a K2 looking at those charts
is it something specific to that bike that means mere mortals can get away with it ?
Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 19.35.08.png

4 of my recent bikes that I have ridden. K2 voima still has longer wheelbase than them all, stack is high, its slacker than them all. I might just have to put a +5mm reach adjust to get 485mm reach, 50mm rise bars and +5mm rise stem.

There's a few things that can be done to bring it a bit closer. But as always, everything size / geo related, there's always compromises other areas!

(plus a K2 will be a bit lighter than K3!)

I might despise it, and i will let you know if I do!!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
View attachment 109174

4 of my recent bikes that I have ridden. K2 voima still has longer wheelbase than them all, stack is high, its slacker than them all. I might just have to put a +5mm reach adjust to get 485mm reach, 50mm rise bars and +5mm rise stem.

There's a few things that can be done to bring it a bit closer. But as always, everything size / geo related, there's always compromises other areas!

(plus a K2 will be a bit lighter than K3!)

I might despise it, and i will let you know if I do!!
makes sense, my first Levo was too long for me sitting down with a 480 reach (XL) but the size L is a little too short, its more to do with the seat angle of the XL bike IMO, I couldnt ride it sitting but was perfect standing, I also liked the longer wheelbase of the XL.
look forward to your review, if you get on with the K2 when I almost certainly would.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles