Please help? How do I get the Etube App to connect? - Solved thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I bought a new android phone so I could use the Etube app (old phone was Android 4.6 so incompatible).
downloaded the App fine.
Now I can't work out how to connect it.
I start the App and put the bike display into "BluetoothLE" mode and it asks me for my passcode. So I put it in "000000" It connects and then asks me to "change my initial passkey, ther is a risk of connection from a third party"
If I enter a new passkey (and the verification of said passkey) the bike display shows the SHIMANsteps logo and does nothing more (eventually it will just switch off)
underneath the passkey message there is a message that says "After making changes, delete connection information from [settings] > [bluetooth] on your device." "If connection information is not deleted, it will not be renewed, preventing a connection from being established"

WTF?

If I delete the bluetooth conection information it loses connection and I'm back at stage one.

:(

I hate technology.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I bought a new android phone so I could use the Etube app (old phone was Android 4.6 so incompatible).
downloaded the App fine.
Now I can't work out how to connect it.
I start the App and put the bike display into "BluetoothLE" mode and it asks me for my passcode. So I put it in "000000" It connects and then asks me to "change my initial passkey, ther is a risk of connection from a third party"
If I enter a new passkey (and the verification of said passkey) the bike display shows the SHIMANsteps logo and does nothing more (eventually it will just switch off)
underneath the passkey message there is a message that says "After making changes, delete connection information from [settings] > [bluetooth] on your device." "If connection information is not deleted, it will not be renewed, preventing a connection from being established"

WTF?

If I delete the bluetooth conection information it loses connection and I'm back at stage one.

:(

I hate technology.

It is just telling you to make sure you delete the initial connection details with the 00000 pass code. The next time you connect do it with the personal code you entered then your phone will remember the new code.

It sounds like a few folk are having issues connecting via android.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It is just telling you to make sure you delete the initial connection details with the 00000 pass code. The next time you connect do it with the personal code you entered then your phone will remember the new code.
if I delete those connection details it disconnects and I'm right back at stage one.
If I don't the app doesnt progress and eventually the bike gets bored waiting and turns itself off.

I'm now trying to see if anything happens when I press [back] on the phone. its showing a whirring cog and the display shows the STEPS logo.
it's been like this for a while now.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
bike got bored and switched off.
Phone app reads:
ERROR The bluetooth LE connection was interupted.
Try connecting again.

Fuck off Shitmano!

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
if I delete those connection details it disconnects and I'm right back at stage one.
If I don't the app doesnt progress and eventually the bike gets bored waiting and turns itself off.

I'm now trying to see if anything happens when I press [back] on the phone. its showing a whirring cog and the display shows the STEPS logo.
it's been like this for a while now.

So it’s not saving the updated pass code. A guy I’m in touch with has been having lots of issues trying to connect with an android device.
If you know someone with an iPhone 6 or 7 that can carry out any updates for you I wouldn’t worry about adjusting settings. I occasionally play about a bit but the settings invariably get put back to standard as they are the best balance between assistance & range.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks guys.
I have no idea why it won't connect.

I think the stock settings are pretty useless for me.
Eco - makes it feel about the same as riding any of my normal bikes. so kinda pointless but ok if you want to soft pedal on the flat at less than 14mph (less than I'd ride a normal bike at on flat ground).
Trail - I can't actually understand how this mode decides how much assistance it's giving you but it's not enough for climbing so I'd like to up it with the app and maybe it'd feel useful.
At the moment I only really use boost.
Descending is generally over the assistance limit of so steep/technical you won't be pedalling anyway.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks all.

Had one more go. (well 3 really) kept getting disconnected BTle message then it finally fired up after a minute or so after the blue bar along the top of the screen completed.
Just D/L firmware motor update to Du-8000 4.4.2 - Shimano site just lists as "Bug fixing" no other details.
Anyone know what these do?
also chose custom assist setting Boost >High Trail > Med Eco > Eco hoping trail will be more useful now. Tempted but it's a bit late to test it right now.

Night all

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Wow! What a difference today with the new firmware and settings. Sooo pleased I persevered.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Funnily enough i had the same issue when i tried to log on yesterday - i solved it by forgetting the device on my phone, then the app worked again

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
It seems there's an issue with the pass key, and it's been like that on every fw release. If you enter the wrong pass key, it won't connect, and when you try again, nothing happens. Closing the app and turning off the bike, then starting everything again seems to do the trick. The same thing happens if I change the pass key. A restart of the bike/app seems to be required. If I don't change the pass key I get access immideately.

The first time I tried an E8000, last fall, I found the motor completely useless for my needs. To much boost in Boost-mode, launching me into every obstacle on the trail. And too little support in Trail-mode, leaving me exhausted straight away. I just tried a bike with the latest E8000 firmware, and it behaved way better. But still, I usually set Boost to minimum (5/7) and Trail til max (4/7) to suit my particular needs.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Losing the will to live with mine now. It connected first time no problem but going back to it (a few months later) I keep getting the incorrect passkey message. What I can't figure is that the devices seem to have lost the pairing because the SCE8000 isn't on the paired devices list anymore, therefore the initial passkey 000000 should be correct. So then I thought something has gotten corrupted somewhere or an Android issue so downloaded Etube onto my work iphone, no joy, same error message. I can't forget the SCE8000 and start again as it's not paired in the first place.....aaaargh! Anyone got any ideas!

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I am also now getting the "incorrect passkey message" on two different android phones. One on 6 and one on 9. Emailed Shimano, no response.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Got the same problem. Deleted the app etc and no change. No option to "forget this connection". Is the only option to connect it to a computer at a Shimano dealer? I updated the software last week so don't care that much yet but annoying if it needs that.

Reactions: MsO

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I believe so. Password is corrupt and has to be reset. I tried every possible combination of sequences to no avail, also the Shimano Steps European rep told me the dealer/PCE1 reset was required. I would try and get the bike co/LBS you got your bike from (Canyon in your case I think) to agree to pay for it like I did. I emailed a photo of the receipt to CRC and they refunded me straight away, I imagine they can claim it back from Shimano

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
I believe so. Password is corrupt and has to be reset. I tried every possible combination of sequences to no avail, also the Shimano Steps European rep told me the dealer/PCE1 reset was required. I would try and get the bike co/LBS you got your bike from (Canyon in your case I think) to agree to pay for it like I did. I emailed a photo of the receipt to CRC and they refunded me straight away, I imagine they can claim it back from Shimano

Thanks mate. So annoying though. Changed it when prompted and now this hassle. Nearest dealer about an hour and half away. At least it's not every time like with Specialized updates. I'll email Canyon first.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales

Just for anybody else who happens to read this thread I tried using my iPad and it links in fine using the new pass key I had inputted when I first connected. iPhone still won't connect. Seems the app is stuck on 000000 pass key and no where to change it and system is on the new pass key. Don't understand but as long as iPad works I don't care.

Reactions: MsO

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I had hassles originally (as duccumented earlier in the thread) Eventually I didn't change my passkey from 000000 at all (didn't see any point). and once it finally started connecting smoothly it's never asked me to input it when reconnecting.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Just for anybody else who happens to read this thread I tried using my iPad and it links in fine using the new pass key I had inputted when I first connected. iPhone still won't connect. Seems the app is stuck on 000000 pass key and no where to change it and system is on the new pass key. Don't understand but as long as iPad works I don't care.

Another follow up. A mate pointed out the "forget this device" is in the phone Bluetooth settings. Did that and now the phone connects as well. No need for Shimano dealer trip.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
In my case the phone didn't have a pairing saved (despite having been paired previously) so therefore there was no "forget this device option". And as none of the other phones I tried had paired with the bike they didn't have that option either. Whether it would have worked with an Ipad I don't know but it wouldn't work with two new iphones or android

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
I have spent almost an hour trying to connect my android phone to the SC-E8000 unit without any success.
I reinstalled the app on my phone (Oneplus 3) and even cleared the data and cache of the Bluetooth system app, but the stupid Shimano app can't seem to connect via Bluetooth.

I start with the settings menu, choose Bluetooth LE and click start
IMG_20181117_173439.jpg

then, on the app I click on Bluetooth LE connection
Screenshot_20181117-173418.jpg

the app finds the device SCE8000
Screenshot_20181117-173509.jpg

I click on this device, and after a while I get an error message:
Screenshot_20181117-173404.jpg

I don't even get a request for a passkey.

I have shut down the bike, removed the battery, tried again, uninstalled the app, went for a coffee, banged my head on the wall...the stupid thing does not connect.

Anyone have any suggestion on what to do?

I couldn't care less for the app, but I would like to lower the assist on boost a little. Also my odometer is completely wrongly set up: I did a 18km ride yesterday and it measured 26km.

Help anyone?

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I needed to use the Shimano sm-pce1 and my laptop. There is no way to reset it at home without it.

The mobile app or pce1 will not fix your odometer. That is a dealer only thing.

Miguel.975

May 14, 2020
ES
Hi. I have the same problem with mu Shimano E8000. There is no way to pair it via bluetooth. I had it paired a few months ago but after updating the app, it becomes impossible.
Any of you had success solving this issue?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles