Please give me some advice about chainring changes and derailleur gx axs

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Hi !
I have a Scott Strike eride 930 ebike from 2020 with Bosch gen 4 motor.
From the factory it has Sram Sx transmision with 12 gears and a 34 tooth chainring. My ebike is a deristricted one and till now i have 7500km with her, using more for touring and sometimes for some hils.3 weeks ago i change the stock chain with a Sram x01 and i see that sometimes it skips on the 3 smalest cogs. This cogs was often used , you guys think that i must change those because the rest of the cassette is ok ? The chairing is made of steel and it looks ok.
Also you think that it would be good to change 34 chainring with a 36 for more speed and easy pedaling or is ok to remain on my 34 chairing ?

I see that wireless kit Sram GX Axs has a good price , like 400 euros and i think if it would be a good idea to change my SX derailleur and shifter with this. I have this in mind because i heard that the wireless derailleur is more easier to adjust than my actual Sx and i want to get over shifter cable and also the Sx derailleur is low quality piece. I don't need a lighter 12 speeds cassette, so my pg 1230 looks fine for me. Some months ago i experienced on a hily zone the break of the droper seat post cable and it wasn't a nice situation to remain up with a heavy bags on my rear rack.
Please share with me your sincere opinion and help me with a good advice. Thank you very much !

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Personally I would go with the AXS I have this on mine and my wife's e-bikes and it works a treat. 34-36 if you have space for it around the frame will give you a wider use of the cassette and higher speeds potentially. Skipping on the lower three cassette rings sounds like rear mech adjustment but as you say the AXS is very easy to setup and in my experience never needs re-adjusting, unless you crash it badly.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
your chain will be slipping because the sprockets are worn and the new chain isn't. Causing a mismatch in pitch between the two and slipping over the teeth of your smaller sprockets under load.
Put the old chain back on and run the cassette and chain into the ground.

Only you know if a larger chainring will be beneficial. it'll give you slightly harder lowest gearing but slightly faster higher gearing. and will allow you to be in roughly one sprocket larger up the cassette at similar speeds/cadence to what you'd have been doing on the original 34T chainring and possibly spend less time in the fast wearing smallest sprockets.

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Thank you very much for your help ! I realy appreciate your advices !
I don't know if i express myself corectly when i told that the 3 smalest cogs it skips. In the load , sometimes, when i shift, the chain make a noise for a second ( i don't know how to tell you in english) and maybe those 3 cogs needs to be changed. In the past i measure all the time my stock chain with Pedro's tool (the best for 12 speeds) who tell me nothing, with a cheap tool who tel's me that my chain was almost 0,75 wear and measuring in inches tells me that is a little after 0,5 wear. With the old chain, no skipping sounds but with the new X01 sometimes it can pe heard. Can be because of the Squirt lube or maybe a stuck chain link, i will change those cheap 3 cogs and i will see. It's a big force in the transmision of an ebike.I think that if i will change those 3 smalest cogs everything will pe ok. I will remain on this Sram Pg1230 cassette because is a heavy duty cassette and i think is ok for my needs.
Thanks again !

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. Stick with the 1230. SRAM's more expensive XD cassettes have a tiny 10t sprocket which slips under power far more easily as the drivetrain wears. and the unlike your NX cassette individual sprockets aren't replaceable.

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on AXS drivetrain components. Especially if touring.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Simply sounds like you have a worn cassette........or at least the gears you use the most are worn. Rather than try changing individual cogs ( not sure you can buy them separately anyway) you may as well just put the old chain back on and then change cassette and chain together when you get skipping/slipping maybe after several more km.

If you want to upgrade your rear mech it would be far cheaper to upgrade to a GX mech and shifter.

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Simply sounds like you have a worn cassette........or at least the gears you use the most are worn. Rather than try changing individual cogs ( not sure you can buy them separately anyway) you may as well just put the old chain back on and then change cassette and chain together when you get skipping/slipping maybe after several more km.

If you want to upgrade your rear mech it would be far cheaper to upgrade to a GX mech and shifter.

The smalest 3 cogs can be replaced and cost 25 euros. I hate cables. In the last autumn my droper post cable was broke sudenly and i was far from home and my seat was high and my rear rack was full of bags.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What I'm saying is good old cables are more reliable, easy to maintain and easy to get hold of when replacements are needed. SRAM electronic parts and batteries not so much.
a GX AXS derailleur is still just a derailleur in operation apart from it having a motor and reciever to move the paralleoogram rather than the cable pulling it. But ultimately it's doing the same job as a normal GX derailleur. Except you have LESS control at the shifter as it's digital meaning you physically can't intentionally overpush the downshift shift lever if required. or adjust cable tension while riding along. Which can come into play when using a worn/mud caked drivetrain.
The AXS Reverb offers LESS control at the lever too.

Cables generally don't "break suddenly" they tend to break through fatigue, wear, damage and lack of maintenance.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's a paid promotional video. 😂 👏
The glance off the rock the video kept repeating was clearly set-up for the camera. (ie. faked for dramatic effect)
MBUK/Future/GMBN have been publishing fake reviews for 30+ years.
If Doddy really hit the mech off all the rocks he says he has why hasn't the mech hanger bent? afterall AXS still requires correct hanger alignment to operate.
if you were to hit a cable derailleur's parallelogram from the side with a hammer in the way Doddy did in the workshop it will also move inwards and then and spring back into place.
Is it really as short as 20 hours between charges? (I thought it was meant to be 60hrs). A mate's derailleur battery running out of charge while we were on a ride sort of makes more sense now tho.

Having said all that
GX AXS derailleurs are fairly tough/overbuilt (but heavier).
Working while frozen is a plus point for UK winter use.
and less cables is quite nice too.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles