Pivot Shuttle Ultimate eMTB build

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Hi, all. I've been working on my "ultimate build" over the past year or so. Yes, it's dirty, but that's what a mountain bike is supposed to be. The latest addition to the bike was a Trust Shout fork. With a DW-Link rear end, I thought the DW designed Trust fork would be a perfect complement. And was it ever. This bike is totally planted to the ground (until you don't want it to be). I handbuilt an I9 Hydra/Whiskey Carbon wheelset (it's my therapy), swapped out post/saddle (droppers are just a distraction for me), swapped grips (not a fan of the Padloc), and swapped out the E8000 mode switch for an E7000. It's definitely the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Even raced it in a eMTB race. Planning to do a couple enduros next season.

TrustFork.png

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Whats your wheelbase length? Didnit change at all?

Just a bit under 48 inches, versus stock setting of 47.6. Negligible difference, and even less so with the way the fork moves and the offset changes slightly as it compresses.

I felt no significant difference in "floppiness" with the slightly slacker setup. I did notice a bit more of the front wheel unweighting a bit more on super steep climbs, and a bit of understeer if you get sloppy and slide to the rear of the bike in twisty stuff. If you ride correctly and put that front wheel to work, it's a VERY noticeable improvement in cornering speed. It's also a very responsive fork off the bottom so I noticed significantly less chatter than the Fox 36 Factory it replaced.

Also, I was concerned about a noticeable change in front<-> rear weight bias and perhaps nosing down in the air. While there was a tiny bit of difference, it took 2-3 jumps to adjust and then it was completely fine.

Setup was also quite easy. Followed the manual suggestions, then added one click of rebound out on the trail. FYI, the design of the fork doesn't permit use of a ShockWiz, if that's your thing.

I happened to get lucky and buy mine during Black Friday sales at a very significant discount. Time will tell regarding the durability of the fork versus a telescoping fork, and the carbon steerer at such an extreme angle gave me a little cause for concern when I was installing it, but I have to think this thing has been well engineered given the team behind it.

Ace Freely

Jul 31, 2019
Wenatchee, Wa
Just a bit under 48 inches, versus stock setting of 47.6. Negligible difference, and even less so with the way the fork moves and the offset changes slightly as it compresses.

I felt no significant difference in "floppiness" with the slightly slacker setup. I did notice a bit more of the front wheel unweighting a bit more on super steep climbs, and a bit of understeer if you get sloppy and slide to the rear of the bike in twisty stuff. If you ride correctly and put that front wheel to work, it's a VERY noticeable improvement in cornering speed. It's also a very responsive fork off the bottom so I noticed significantly less chatter than the Fox 36 Factory it replaced.

Also, I was concerned about a noticeable change in front<-> rear weight bias and perhaps nosing down in the air. While there was a tiny bit of difference, it took 2-3 jumps to adjust and then it was completely fine.

Setup was also quite easy. Followed the manual suggestions, then added one click of rebound out on the trail. FYI, the design of the fork doesn't permit use of a ShockWiz, if that's your thing.

I happened to get lucky and buy mine during Black Friday sales at a very significant discount. Time will tell regarding the durability of the fork versus a telescoping fork, and the carbon steerer at such an extreme angle gave me a little cause for concern when I was installing it, but I have to think this thing has been well engineered given the team behind it.

How many miles do you have with the Fork on?

Ace

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Cool, what is your suspension range? Does the fork match the rear damper?

A bit more travel out front but similar dynamics. Both designed by Dave Weagle. The bike feels really great with that combo. I rode some monster rock gardens yesterday and it was very composed through them. Did some jumps/drops to flat landings and it just settled in smooth after landing. Loving it.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Had a couple, hated them. I have a hex wrench that does the job just fine. :)

I guess if you have big climbs and big descents you can get away with it.

Lots of short sharp climbs around me so I couldn’t be without one, and no way you can do decent sized jumps with a post up! Also, I find the having a motor means my post spends more time down than up ?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I guess if you have big climbs and big descents you can get away with it.

Lots of short sharp climbs around me so I couldn’t be without one, and no way you can do decent sized jumps with a post up! Also, I find the having a motor means my post spends more time down than up ?

Ha. Our terrain is quite technical generally. Lots of ups/downs, rocks, roots, step ups/step downs, twisties, you name it, we got it.

I've been riding MTBs for a very long time, so it's instinctual at this point. I also ride dirt bikes, so I'm used to pinching the bike between my legs and using body leverage to work the turns. On super technical descents I'll lower the saddle the old school way with an allen wrench, but that's pretty rare. Short answer = zero issues. My times for most of the downhill segments in the area are very quick, so it's definitely not getting in the way. For an enduro race, I'll lower it 1" or so, since the motor helps offset pedaling inefficiencies.

On my other bikes (Santa Cruz Hightower and Borealis Echo fatbike) I also ride a rigid seatpost.

Clearly, given that I ride a Shuttle with a Trust fork, I'm not averse to new technology. ;-)

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Quick update: after a month on the fork, it started to bring to light some harshness with the rear shock that I never noticed before. I ended up swapping the stock DPX2 with an X2, and it really balanced up nicely with the Trust Shout. Bigger air can = running at 20% lower pressure and the X2 delivers more of a plush feeling and stays planted better (like the front end).

EDYM

Jul 6, 2020
Igny
Hello, nice build !
I just discovered those forks searching for a Shuttle thread !

So what's up after 6 months ?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Hello, nice build !
I just discovered those forks searching for a Shuttle thread !

So what's up after 6 months ?

I ended up selling the Trust fork - as much as I liked the way it tracked, it was just too "different" of a feel from the fork on my Santa Cruz, and made it difficult to go back and forth between the eMTB and the MTB. I changed out the damper in my Fox fork(s) for Grip 2 dampers, and am very, very happy with the performance now.

EDYM

Jul 6, 2020
Igny
Eish ... that's what i read about it on Pinkbike, good, but different and not worth twice the price !

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Eish ... that's what i read about it on Pinkbike, good, but different and not worth twice the price !

My other option was to buy another Shout for my Santa Cruz, and since Trust Performance was shutting down operations, prices were very low, but I decided it was too risky in terms of long term service/parts. In retrospect, simply swapping dampers in the Fox was all that was needed to settle my bike down. It's perfect now.

Oct 22, 2020
California
I'm know I'm reviving this thread but I was rocking a Trust Shout on my 2019 Motobecane (same as a Vitus E-Sommet) for 8 months. Two weeks ago, I recently swapped back to my Push Industries modified ACS3/HC97 Rockshox Lyrik. Not because I didn't like the Trust Shout but I have a 2020 Rocky Mountain Instinct Powerplay BC A50 that's arriving in 4 days where the fork is going to live while I modify the stock Yari with Push components.
IMG_20201025_171431.jpg
IMG_20201025_171447.jpg

motobecaneWithTrust_01.jpg
motobecaneWithTrust_02.jpg

IMO the Trust fork isn't all that bad. The fork has one big quality that normal telescopic forks doesn't have and that's the turn-in speed. Turning into a corner with these fork is stupid quick and immediate. I found myself braking way, way later and initializing the turn-in almost at the point of the apex. And once you've initiated the turn, the bike "cuts" into the corner sharply. Its a weird sensation because your instinct tells you to "BRAKE!!!!" but you gotta chill and trust the fork.

Anywho, I felt this same sensation before when I ran my first set of Michelin Power race tires on my sportbike. Like the rate of the turn-in was so quick, that if you "dip" into the corner normally, you'll prematurely miss the apex by a few feet and panic brake to correct your line.

The other quality that the Trust fork has over telescopic fork is it's ability to absorb both high and low frequency bumpy terrain. I don't feel much of a difference now since I converted my Lyrik to coil but while my Lyrik was still an air fork, the difference was night and day. Like the Trust was happy eating up bumpy terrain and rock gardens all day while my air Lyrik struggled to absorb the bumps and I would have hand fatigue.

I do have some gripe with the Trust fork. 1) it doesn't bounce like telescopic forks which I occasionally use to help me jump, 2) when landing evenly (both front and rear wheel hitting the ground at the same time) from a drop or from a jump, there is a high frequency, but quick, burst of vibration that gets transferred into the handlebar. The vibration doesn't happen when you land front wheel first, and 3) it's an air fork and each leg of the fork must be pressurized with the same amount of air. My dumb ass is not used to checking air pressure and I forget to check / setup-up the fork before each ride.

TL;DR: There is a learning curve with the Trust fork but ride whichever brand or style of fork makes you happy.

IMG_20201025_171419.jpg

Last edited:

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I'm running Shouts on both of my Regular bikes, Evil Wreckoning V3, and Orbea Rallon. Fox 38 on my Trek Rail....wondering if I may go Shout on that one as well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles