Pivot Shuttle SL - Fazua Motor Issue Encountered

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Hello,

Recently I decided to switch from an Orbea Rise to a Shuttle SL with the Fazua Ride 60 motor.

I purchased my Pivot Shuttle SL Pro X01 about four weeks ago. I recently took the bike on a trip to the Las Vegas area where I rode Red Rock, Spring Mountain and Bootleg Canyon riding areas. The riding there is exceptional.

One morning during the trip, I was oiling and cleaning the drive chain when I noticed a thin silver stainless steel ring protruding out from the drive side of the motor. Because of the Shuttle SL's protective casing which surrounds the motor, I was unable to tell exactly where the ring went and it's purpose. I did notice that there was a slight seeping of lubrication from the area of the loose ring.

IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

IMG_2457.JPG

Because the bike was new and under warranty, I did not want to take the bike apart to determine what the ring is used for. I instead contacted my bike shop and Fazua asking if the ring was something I should be concerned about. I also enquired if it was possible to keep riding the bike despite the loose ring.

My bike shop called me back a short time later and stated the ring was used internally on the motor and should not be loose or protruding from the motor. My bike shop added that Fazua was going to ship a warranty motor and that Fazua recommended that I stop riding the bike until the issue could be fixed.

For the rest of the bike trip, I rode a buddy's Specialized Levo. It was my first time riding a full power eBike. I really enjoyed the battery range, power and overall ride experience. At the end of the trip (December 17), I dropped my Shuttle SL off at the shop to be warrantied. I was informed that Fazua did not have an available replacement motor and it would be a while before a replacement motor could be shipped. As of January 1, the shop is still waiting for a replacement motor. I still have no idea what the loose retaining ring does.

Ultimately, I enjoyed riding my buddy's Levo so much, I traded my Shuttle SL in for a new Specialized Levo. There are no bad guys here, shit happens, things break, parts are hard to source these days. The Pivot Shuttle SL is a nice playful bike. Fazua customer service has been good. However, not being able to quickly source a motor is a "No Go" for me. I like to ride and not being able to ride for weeks at a time messes my day up.

You can check your Shuttle SL for this issue by turning it upside down and examine the motor area next to the chain ring. If somebody can tell me what the purpose of this retaining ring is, I'd be curious to know.

Be safe,
Rod

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I was informed that Fazua did not have an available replacement motor and it would be a while before a replacement motor could be shipped. As of January 1, the shop is still waiting for a replacement motor.

Dude! That's seriously 4üçkēd up. Unless their factory is shut down, then they're still building motors. The first motor out the door on Monday morning should be to replace the faulty products that broke over the weekend.

I suggest getting on the phone to Pivot. Surely they'd be able to hook up a loyal customer with a new motor for a month-old bike.

More importantly...
When does your new Levo come in?

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Dude! That's seriously 4üçkēd up. Unless their factory is shut down, then they're still building motors. The first motor out the door on Monday morning should be to replace the faulty products that broke over the weekend.

I suggest getting on the phone to Pivot. Surely they'd be able to hook up a loyal customer with a new motor for a month-old bike.

More importantly...
When does your new Levo come in?
Pivot can't do anything about it. They told me Fazua is having trouble keeping up with worldwide demand for the motors.

I'm giving the bike shop two days to work off the New Year's hang over...I should get the Levo by the end of this week. Let's do a quick trip to Hurricane?

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
What model levo you going for Rod ? I am on my second levo and love it
Chris,
I'm friends with the owner of the bike shop where I bought the Pivot. He's allowing me to trade straight across for a new Levo Carbon Comp with a Rockshox ZEB 170mm Ultimate upgrade. I've also having a set of Industry Nine Enduro S alloy wheels mounted on the Levo. I received a 15% discount when I bought the Pivot, so it's a straight across trade.

My buddies who have Levos have tried to get me on one. I've always liked light weight eBikes and always backed off trying a Levo. After the Pivot broke during the trip, I borrowed my buddies Levo Alloy Comp. Desperate men do desperate things..... My buddy's Levo has the new Lyric Ultimate with buttercups. It's a really nice fork.

I took the Levo down "Fook Yu" trail located in Mountain Springs, near Las Vegas. About half down Fook Yu, I thought to myself 'Hey this bike ain't bad.' At the end of Fook Yu, we hopped across the highway and worked our way around to the top of Three Mile Smile which is a high speed flow trail with a few jumps thrown in. About halfway down "Three Mile Smile" I was thinking 'Holy Shit, this bike is good.

Here's the thing, my Rise or the Pivot would not have been able to cover back to back rides. The Levo still had 60% of it's battery by the end of the two rides. And....it handles incredibly well.

I used to have this rule "Never try your buddy's surfboard." If you do and you really like the surfboard, then your surfboard begins to suck. I should have known better.....Hopefully I get the Levo by the end of this week.

Be safe,
Rod

izzymtb

Sep 1, 2022
SoCal
Thanks for sharing. I have the same bike as you do and have nothing but good experience since October but I've only done rides at Fullerton loop here in SoCal for around six times and nothing crazy. So far everything is tight with no issues. Ironically I came from a Trek Fuel EX-e that gave me nothing but issues for a good three months and that's from two 9.7s and I finally gave up with it. Kudos to their warranty as it held up and did not leave me in the dust. As you know your upcoming Levo is a totally different beast as far as its abilities and is in a different category. I could don't go down that road as I need to be able to manage the bicycle's weight. That thing has been out the market for a while and should be reliable as hell. Anyway, I attached a photo of mine for reference.

IMG_1709.JPG

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Thanks for sharing. I have the same bike as you do and have nothing but good experience since October but I've only done rides at Fullerton loop here in SoCal for around six times and nothing crazy. So far everything is tight with no issues. Ironically I came from a Trek Fuel EX-e that gave me nothing but issues for a good three months and that's from two 9.7s and I finally gave up with it. Kudos to their warranty as it held up and did not leave me in the dust. As you know your upcoming Levo is a totally different beast as far as its abilities and is in a different category. I could don't go down that road as I need to be able to manage the bicycle's weight. That thing has been out the market for a while and should be reliable as hell. Anyway, I attached a photo of mine for reference.

View attachment 104022
Izzymtb,

Thank you for sending me the picture. The mechanical side of me wonders what purpose the ring serves? It looks like it secures the drive side of the motor to the central body.

The Fullerton Loop has served me well. It's a perfect place for those days or nights where you need to get a quick lap in between the family stuff and work.

I bought an Orbea Rise because I was concerned about bike weight. I never wanted a full power eBike because of the added weight. Interestingly, when I rode my buddy's Levo, I didn't feel the added weight. If anything, the bike felt balanced and more planted kicking through the chunk. I do feel the weight when I lift the bike up to put it in the back of my truck....It becomes a really heavy bastard. Wahoo....!

OKCORRELL

Nov 27, 2022
Series63test
Hello,

Recently I decided to switch from an Orbea Rise to a Shuttle SL with the Fazua Ride 60 motor.

I purchased my Pivot Shuttle SL Pro X01 about four weeks ago. I recently took the bike on a trip to the Las Vegas area where I rode Red Rock, Spring Mountain and Bootleg Canyon riding areas. The riding there is exceptional.

One morning during the trip, I was oiling and cleaning the drive chain when I noticed a thin silver stainless steel ring protruding out from the drive side of the motor. Because of the Shuttle SL's protective casing which surrounds the motor, I was unable to tell exactly where the ring went and it's purpose. I did notice that there was a slight seeping of lubrication from the area of the loose ring.

View attachment 103816

View attachment 103817

View attachment 103818

Because the bike was new and under warranty, I did not want to take the bike apart to determine what the ring is used for. I instead contacted my bike shop and Fazua asking if the ring was something I should be concerned about. I also enquired if it was possible to keep riding the bike despite the loose ring.

My bike shop called me back a short time later and stated the ring was used internally on the motor and should not be loose or protruding from the motor. My bike shop added that Fazua was going to ship a warranty motor and that Fazua recommended that I stop riding the bike until the issue could be fixed.

For the rest of the bike trip, I rode a buddy's Specialized Levo. It was my first time riding a full power eBike. I really enjoyed the battery range, power and overall ride experience. At the end of the trip (December 17), I dropped my Shuttle SL off at the shop to be warrantied. I was informed that Fazua did not have an available replacement motor and it would be a while before a replacement motor could be shipped. As of January 1, the shop is still waiting for a replacement motor. I still have no idea what the loose retaining ring does.

Ultimately, I enjoyed riding my buddy's Levo so much, I traded my Shuttle SL in for a new Specialized Levo. There are no bad guys here, shit happens, things break, parts are hard to source these days. The Pivot Shuttle SL is a nice playful bike. Fazua customer service has been good. However, not being able to quickly source a motor is a "No Go" for me. I like to ride and not being able to ride for weeks at a time messes my day up.

You can check your Shuttle SL for this issue by turning it upside down and examine the motor area next to the chain ring. If somebody can tell me what the purpose of this retaining ring is, I'd be curious to know.

Be safe,
Rod
Thanks for posting this. I have the same issue and have contacted Fazua, will keep y’all updated.

Just in time

Sep 20, 2022
Minnesota
Chris,
I'm friends with the owner of the bike shop where I bought the Pivot. He's allowing me to trade straight across for a new Levo Carbon Comp with a Rockshox ZEB 170mm Ultimate upgrade. I've also having a set of Industry Nine Enduro S alloy wheels mounted on the Levo. I received a 15% discount when I bought the Pivot, so it's a straight across trade.

My buddies who have Levos have tried to get me on one. I've always liked light weight eBikes and always backed off trying a Levo. After the Pivot broke during the trip, I borrowed my buddies Levo Alloy Comp. Desperate men do desperate things..... My buddy's Levo has the new Lyric Ultimate with buttercups. It's a really nice fork.

I took the Levo down "Fook Yu" trail located in Mountain Springs, near Las Vegas. About half down Fook Yu, I thought to myself 'Hey this bike ain't bad.' At the end of Fook Yu, we hopped across the highway and worked our way around to the top of Three Mile Smile which is a high speed flow trail with a few jumps thrown in. About halfway down "Three Mile Smile" I was thinking 'Holy Shit, this bike is good.

Here's the thing, my Rise or the Pivot would not have been able to cover back to back rides. The Levo still had 60% of it's battery by the end of the two rides. And....it handles incredibly well.

I used to have this rule "Never try your buddy's surfboard." If you do and you really like the surfboard, then your surfboard begins to suck. I should have known better.....Hopefully I get the Levo by the end of this week.

Be safe,
Rod

Just in time

Sep 20, 2022
Minnesota
I bought the pivot sl thinking it would replace my levo gen 3 and after riding both back to back it was clear to me That the Levo wasn’t going anywhere the thing rides so damn good . Shuttle Sl came with the euro 15mph cutoff so that sucked and the motor mount brackets were creaking so loud I just couldn’t ride the bike without getting annoyed. . Sold it after 1 month of ownership. Didn’t realize how happy I was with the Levo until I rode something different.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles