Pivot Shuttle Review

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

A no compromise, sub 10% body fat trail ripper

This bike is an MMA fighter disguised as an EMTB. Brutally fast, ripped to the bone and packs a stinging punch to propel you forward with the excellent Shimano Steps E8000 motor.

"It’s our vision, our calling and our ultimate goal to design and build cutting edge bikes that take your cycling experience to a whole new level" - Chris Cocalis - Pivot Cycles CEO

I first heard about the £8,999 Shuttle on EMTB Forums. I couldn't quite believe how they'd achieved a sub 20KG package. Even the almost identically priced Specialized S-Works weight in at 21.8KG so it's impressive that the Arizona, USA based company have managed to squeeze this ripper down to such an incredible weight.

DSCF6347-Edit.jpg

An imposing trail weapon

Taking a look at the bike reveals the impressive lengths that Pivot have gone to in the design. The entire down tube is wrapped around the Shimano E8010 battery. The carbon frame revealing the a small section of the Shimano battery, so its easy to see remaining battery level and turn the bike on and off with the battery switch.

Pivot use a proprietary hollow core holding technology to create carbon frames. Pivot say that this means that they require less work after they come out of the moulds, compared to traditional methods that other high-end brands use. Other frames require hours of work to fill the voids and imperfections with filler, which not only adds weight but can also compromise stiffness and strength in critical areas. Pivot use a moulding process that uses hard internal forms for both lay-up and moulding that eliminates the possibility of inconsistent pressures resulting in the highest levels of compaction over the entire structure.

DSCF6327.jpg

Sharp carbon lines

What that means in the real world is a super strong, lightweight carbon frame that is beautifully designed and crafted around the Shimano E8000 system. The removable battery neatly integrates into the down tube and takes about 10 minutes to change if you need to carry a spare (or have to remove it to charge).

The bike has been developed entirely from the ground up and the goal was to create a stiff, wide, burly bike that can take the higher loads that a motor and rider will put through the drivetrain. The bike uses automotive-style gaskets to keep everything sealed and secure and a super boost 157mm rear to allow the unique DT-Swiss wheel to fit. Result: Super hardcore, stiff rear with the shortest EMTB chain stay in the business at 437mm.

It’s like Pivot have set out to create a hardcore lightweight brute that can take a beating but also lash it out and give as good as it gets.

What is immediately noticeable is the weight. Or lack of weight. This bike is actually over Pivots claimed 19.95KG weighing in at 20.8KG. I put that down to the Maxxis Minion DHR tyres (they weight 2,080g combined) and the listed tyre on Pivot’s website is the Rekon+, weighing in at 1560g a pair. That difference adds half a kilo to the bike weight, the other few hundred grams is likely bike sizing (I tested the Large).

DSCF6343.jpg

Maxxis Minion DHR's offer insane grip

My regular Turbo Levo Carbon weight in at 22KG and I’m used to picking that up, lugging it over fences and chucking it into my Thule XT3 Bike Rack. I immediately noticed the lighter weight of the Shuttle when loading it into my bike rack.

I picked up the Pivot from Swinley Bike Hub and had 4 days with it hitting local trails, Surrey Hills and Swinley Forest. I set up the Fox 36 forks and DPX2 shock to my weight and went for a burn. What a ripper! Talking about the suspension, the race proven DW-Link suspension design paired with the outstanding Fox Shock allows you to feel exactly whats happening at the back of the bike.

The rear tracks over roots and rocks beautifully providing excellent feedback. The damping on the Fox is sublime. It reminded me of how much of a difference you can feel on motorcycle suspension, going from the bog standard OEM fit to an uprated unit. It had a similar damping feel - a satisfying ‘thud’ that made its way through the tyre, the DW-Link, the shock and then your body.

DSCF6308.jpg DSCF6345.jpg

The Kashima coated Fox 36 has excellent plush small bump soaking ability and although I didn’t have any super big hits on my time with the bike, I did give it a bit of a beating on long, rooty trail sections. The Telegraph section on Surrey Hills offers a fast flowy trail that is rooty as a mofo and I could bang on at full speed allowing the forks to soak up all that Rooty goodness.

I’m growing really fond of the Shimano E8000 setup. The motor is a banger. It’s punchy, sharp but also noisy. You can hear this bike arriving. Like a milk float on turbo. I rode the bike a lot in boost mode, something that I don’t normally do on my regular bike. It just felt so much fun riding it on max power, ripping up steep hills, hitting the trails and it felt like I could give the bike a squirt of gas to keep up the momentum on the trails. Flow down, hit the berms, cheeky little squirt of gas towards the next berm to keep you in the zone. Immense fun.

DSCF6312.jpg

Shimano battery neatly wrapped into the downtube

You know when you’re in the zone; flowing, everything feels right, dialled and you’re just riding and hitting everything in the sweet spot? Like a sports team that’s in the zone and everything is working, shooting and scoring. This bike keeps you in the zone more than I’ve had on any bike that I’ve ridden. That’s the sum of all the parts. It keeps you in that sweet spot for as long as you like.

Speaking of being in the zone, the Shimano Di2 servo assisted shifting keeps the gears banging exactly where you need them to be, instantly. Like really quick. Hit the trigger then boom, shifted. So picture this… ripping through a trail, squirt of gas through the cranks, the E8000 motor on boost, banging through the shifters to keep the cadence regular and high, partnered with the top of the shelf component list and totally sorted frame geometry with outstanding rider feedback. Sounds good, right?

DSCF6305.jpg

Shimano Di2 offers lightning quick gear changes - it just works

The feedback through the entire bike continues to inspire you to pop up the front, slid out the back on tight turns and take on more of the Gnarls Barkley than you might normally do. The geometry with the 150mm fork (that can be tuned to 160mm) gives a head angle of 65.8˚, slightly slacker than average trail bike geometry (Levo is 66.1˚ and Kenevo is 65˚ for comparison) so this sits in between enduro and trail which is ideal for my riding. The chain stay is short by EMTB standards at 437mm. You might think that this geometry effects climbing ability, but thats not the case on the Shuttle. I rode some proper steep sections that you’d never get up on a regular bike, the Maxxis Minions offer incredible grip and I never once felt like the front end wanted to lift.

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 13.23.31.png

I didn’t get an opportunity to test the bike steeper downhill sections like Bike Park Wales so couldn’t fully test how capable of some bigger hits but I’ve no doubt that it’d handle it superbly.

There’s a few things about the bike that I didn’t appreciate. The dropper at 150mm could have been longer (I’d have preferred a 170mm, if it fit). I had to reduce the overall seat height so I could get maximum drop, right down to the frame as on the Large I had a good 5cm of dropper insertion sticking out of the seat tube. I also don’t like the dropper lever. Pushing down with your thumb is not a natural movement. The Fox lever is also ridiculously designed. The dropper lever came loose during my ride and I couldn’t access the Allen bolt due to the position of the metal cable routing. We had to use a zip tie around the dropper and shifter to prevent the dropper lever rotating around the bars.

DSCF6341-Edit.jpg

DW-Link rear end with super boost spacing

Also, on a £9k bike I’d expect carbon rims. The Specialized Levo S-Works comes in as a complete carbon package so its a shame that the Shuttle doesn’t follow suit here. What else? Well, the Shimano motor is noisy. You can hear it coming. Really whiney, radio-controlled car noisy. That’s such a shame, but not really Pivots fault. It’s inherent to the design of the Shimano motor. I’m sure that over Shimano will get to the category leader for noise, Brose 1.3 with its super stealthiness, but at the moment you’ll hear the Pivot coming from a good distance.

The gears are super clicky with quite a plastic feel to them. I’d love a more premium feeling to this. I don’t think that the shifters need such a positive click-clack. Am I being picky? Possibly, but I think rightly so, because when you’re laying down this amount of dollar on a bike you want it to be perfection already. I can’t wait to see what the next generation of the E8000 Di2 package provides. My wish list: quieter motor, more premium feeling contols.

DSCF6304.jpg

The display is small but really bright

Those niggles aside I believe that this bike that Pivot have produced is the finest example of a EMTB to date that I’ve ridden. It’s a sublime, strong burly quiet frame, the cable routing is brilliant with no noise or slapping. Excellent, near perfect geometry. It gives an outstanding feeling whilst riding. This is a fun playful lively bike that is an absolute blast. Hooning about in boost is just so much fun and I'd take this bike anywhere if I had to opportunity.

And that’s what riding bikes is all about for me; the feeling that you get. That sweet-sweet feeling when you’re flowing, everything is working and feels interdependent but well oiled, slick and connected. That’s what the Pivot Shuttle gives.

£8,999

Pivot Shuttle: 4.5 / 5
thor]1[/author]

Last edited:

fos'l

May 14, 2018
socal, USA
Rob, great review, but IMO the weight can be reduced. My GT Zaskar with a 10 pound BBS02, 3.5 pound 52V, 6 ah battery weighs 35 pounds and 99% of the time I use no assist or level 1 (of 5). It should be possible to reduce the motor weight to < 5 pounds and have a 36V, 10 ah battery that weighs < 4 pounds ( if you need more range, carry an extra battery).

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think your reviews are good because you pick up on the daily things that owners will come across, and from the point of view of spending your own money whereas a lot of magazine reviews just focus on the massive pluses or negatives.

For me having had a shimano motor for 3 months now, the worst thing is the stock controller, which means a lot of the bikes come with dodgy dropper remotes as you cant fit a decent one without fouling the controller, and swapping out the stock E8000 controller for the E6000 one makes a huge difference, as well as allowing you to cycle though the menu on the display without taking your hands off the bars

IMG_1552.jpg

Shimano STEPS E8000 - controller.jpg

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
It looks like an awesome and very capable bike. I’m really curious to see how many sales it will get since it is a lot more expensive then say a levo carbon comp. But then again, it is a very nice bike.
Good review and a cool vid Rob!

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
What a machine! I think you did a great job on this review. You stayed focus on being critical of this bike even if it blew your mind a little. (y)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
What a machine! I think you did a great job on this review. You stayed focus on being critical of this bike even if it blew your mind a little. (y)
Thanks! Totally want to give real world independent reviews (no advertisers to keep happy like most mags!).

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
brilliant Rob well done, a general note about maxxis tyres if the writing is white they are OEM only if its yellow they are retail, its what I was told by a maxxis guy

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
brilliant Rob well done, a general note about maxxis tyres if the writing is white they are OEM only if its yellow they are retail, its what I was told by a maxxis guy
Thanks Dave. So these are OEM then, so Pivot are shipping them all with Minions. Interesting.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
This tyre setup is quite confusing. Mine was DHF + Rekon (Silkshield 950g) rear. I looked at one purchased in march/april I think. Rekon front and rear, possibly silkshield, didn't check. And now DHR ll f/r. Weird.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
maybe they just fitted them as its a demo bike cant have demo bikes sliding a bout on slicky tyres lol

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Nice review Rob!
DW suspension sits much higher in its travel than 4 bar systems like the Levo which probably explains fewer pedal strikes than expected. Probably get away with the standard cranks and some thin pedals like Crank Bros Stamps or OneUp pedals.
Maybe next time you try a bike with E8000 up the assist level in trail rather than use boost as it is only set to low in the standard ‘dynamic’ setting. You will find the motor is much quieter then and you won’t get the violent kick as the motor engages and the horrible overrun when you stop pedalling.
I wouldn’t knock the wheelset either, they are far from budget option.
When bikes are getting to these sort of price points it’s a shame you cannot get a frame/motor only option to build up to your preferred spec.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
A frame/motor option has always been the top of my wish list ?????

Specialized have done frame only options on analogue bikes for quite some time so hopefully they will start a new trend on the ebike front ?

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
Rob, you have been using the Turbo 1.3 quite a lot, how do you think it compares to the Shimano Steps 8000? I noticed on the video the higher level of noise and also that you praised the power level but if you could share more thoughts it would be helpful as I am about to get my first eMTB.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Great review , I would like to hear your comparison with some of the other less expensive shimano motored bikes out there .lots of the shimano Motored bikes have the geometry sorted

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Last week the motor wouldn’t work and the shifting was fine, this week the motor works and the Di2 is a two speed
BF2ADAB5-4A23-4E28-BAE3-81C151C0E06E.jpeg

I love how lightweight this bike is and the range is amazing for just a 500w battery. But no way to mount a water bottle, the funky sizing and the mediocre spec for $10000 is not for me.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I love how lightweight this bike is and the range is amazing for just a 500w battery. But no way to mount a water bottle, the funky sizing and the mediocre spec for $10000 is not for me.

Hmm, funky sizing? It may be a bit big for it's size, other than that I think it's pretty normal... Fortunately it's much cheaper here. The better spec'ed EU model is like 7% more than the Kenevo Expert.

I assume you're with LW?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Hmm, funky sizing? It may be a bit big for it's size, other than that I think it's pretty normal... Fortunately it's much cheaper here. The better spec'ed EU model is like 7% more than the Kenevo Expert.

I assume you're with LW?
I love this bike, but I’ll have to wait for the next version before I add another pivot to my collection.
The bike pictured is a large, which feels like a medium from anyone else.
Fox Elite suspension and aluminum wheels on a $10000 is laughable.
Lack of a single water bottle mount is insane from a bike designed in Arizona.

7% more than a Kenevo is a lot of money for any bike. It’s not really a direct comparison with one being a 180mm travel gravity bike and the other being 140mm trail bike.

You’re assuming I know what LW is.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I love this bike, but I’ll have to wait for the next version before I add another pivot to my collection.
The bike pictured is a large, which feels like a medium from anyone else.
Fox Elite suspension and aluminum wheels on a $10000 is laughable.
Lack of a single water bottle mount is insane from a bike designed in Arizona.

7% more than a Kenevo is a lot of money for any bike. It’s not really a direct comparison with one being a 180mm travel gravity bike and the other being 140mm trail bike.

You’re assuming I know what LW is.
Hmm, the Medium I've ridden is quite large for a M. Can't really think of many other emtbs that is bigger for the size, Mondraker perhaps? But comparing to regular bikes, it might be a different story.

I'm not comparing them, just trying to describe how low the Shuttle is priced in Norway.

Loam Wolf. I know, I was beeing a bit to cryptic there :)

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Hmm, the Medium I've ridden is quite large for a M. Can't really think of many other emtbs that is bigger for the size, Mondraker perhaps? But comparing to regular bikes, it might be a different story.

I'm not comparing them, just trying to describe how low the Shuttle is priced in Norway.

Loam Wolf. I know, I was beeing a bit to cryptic there :)
Funny, I was like LW? Levo world, loose women, liverwurst...

Loam Wolf is a website I try to support as much as possible, since websites like Pinkbike and Vital are so anti-Emtb. Loam Wolf has an Emtb section, no Pinkbike armchair engineers or the dated uninspired, race results look of Vital.
Pinkbike and Vital seem to just regurgitate the same content and the comments section regurgitates the same negativity.

I am not with them, but I have written reviews that I plan on submitting to them in the coming weeks. So maybe one day. But I am committed more to the growth of this forum.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles