Ping!

johnc

Oct 13, 2018
Scotland/East Midlands
So got back from a very muddy ride and washed down my bike. I then lifted it about a foot and dropped it onto its tyres to dispel some water and ping one of the bolt heads sheared of my fork leg. Is this a warranty job? I know it's just a small bolt but I suspect it started out on the trail and who knows if anything was ingested into the fork.
IMG_5581.JPG

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Oh flip!
That could be the bolt that holds the internal air piston rod I think. Did the threaded portion fall out as well at the same time? Or did you remove that yourself after disassembling the fork sliders?

johnc

Oct 13, 2018
Scotland/East Midlands
Oh flip!
That could be the bolt that holds the internal air piston rod I think. Did the threaded portion fall out as well at the same time? Or did you remove that yourself after disassembling the fork sliders?

Yes it is. I was able to remove the threaded without dismantling the fork.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Yes it is. I was able to remove the threaded without dismantling the fork.
I would say that bolt head snapped off because it was faulty (rare), or got over torqued (possible), or didn't get tightened to begin with (probable). A loose bolt would've repeatedly popped in and out of that hole while your fork was operating, so the bolt head could've been rattling increasingly and slamming against the bottom of the slider leg - like a jack hammer. That might also explain why the threaded shank of the bolt got progressively loosened so that you were able to remove it.

If you can't bear to be without your bike, you might be able to fix that by simply acquiring a replacement bolt and popping it back in yourself. Judging by how clean the bolt threads are, I'm assuming that there was no damage done to the female threads of the internal shaft.

I do agree that it's best to take that in for a warranty job, just in case there are other things amiss or if consequential damage had occurred internally.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Surely a decent engineering firm would be able to get a replacement bolt for pennies? Maybe RS have something which you could use.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles