Person killed in London by EMTB

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Just heard this on the news, I believe it was a lady pedestrian and it's the first person to of been killed by an EMTB, well certainly in this country anyway. Apparently the EMTB was found abandoned near by. No info on the bike was given.
:cry:

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
That will be more ammunition for people against E-bikes ?
Back to what we should all be doing on any bike , that’s riding with respect towards others around us.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
I wonder if he was making a quick get away because he knew his bike wasn't within the 15.5mph limit. The bike looks like it might possibly be a DIY job???

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
All is not as the headlines would have you believe;
CCTV of Dalston hit-and-run bike crash shows moment woman crossing road gets struck by cyclist
She stepped/ran out in front of him.
It does seem like she ran straight out, and I'm not sure how the Sun are so certain the lights were green for pedestrians, as just before the collision another bike goes across the crossing. Even so it is a horrible incident and awful behaviour by the cyclist not to stay at the scene. Let's all hope his bike hadn't been derestricted.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
It does seem like she ran straight out, and I'm not sure how the Sun are so certain the lights were green for pedestrians, as just before the collision another bike goes across the crossing. Even so it is a horrible incident and awful behaviour by the cyclist not to stay at the scene. Let's all hope his bike hadn't been derestricted.

That could be read as... The lights were green "for the traffic" as well though. It is unclear.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
To be honest I wouldn't be botherd if they made it compulsory to pay some kind of insurance if it was reasonable say a £120 a year or something and they upped the limit to 20mph.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
To be honest I wouldn't be botherd if they made it compulsory to pay some kind of insurance if it was reasonable say a £120 a year or something and they upped the limit to 20mph.
The European Commission already proposed exactly this back in May. Personally though I doubt it will be solely ebikes - it will either come in for all cycles, or be squished before it becomes law. Given the very low accident rates though it would be dramatically lower in price than you suggest (if you want 3rd party insurance now you can get £15m of cover as part of British Cycling Ride membership for £39).

Last edited:

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
In this article from The Guradian it states it was an electric Specialized bike. From the video on the other clip where he's carrying it away it definitely doesn't look like a Spec bike! Does it???
I just took some screenshots and it is very difficult to tell:

Image 1.png.jpg Image 2.jpg

It could be a big S on the front, or it could be the Raleigh symbol maybe?

Raleigh-bicycle-nottingham-badge.jpg

In the second picture as he walks by it certainly does not look like a mid motor drive; there is not enough stuff in the bottom bracket area. There does appear to be a lot of stuff on the handlebars too; both these would suggest it could be an aftermarket conversion. And could this be a hub drive motor on the rear wheel in the very last frame of the video?

Image 3.jpg

Last edited:

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
So have we got two incidents here?

That's a different bloke from the photos above and it says he rode off?

or just bad journalism?

Bad journalism I think. I just googled and came up with the earlier articles, it's the same incident.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Very sad news indeed ☹️

Here in Denmark ve have to classes of pedelecs, below 25 kph and no demands for insurance etc. the new thing is that we are allowed to go up to 45 kph but you then need insurance, wearing an approved helmet and lights on always. I have both and I’m paying around 120£/year for that.

Karsten

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There is a lot of full on Daily Mail journalism over this incident - from the sounds of it its irrelevant wheterh he was on an e-bike or not, just say headlines.

All the same lot of people riding bikes like idiots in London these days, i am travelling around the big smoke all day and it never ceases to amaze me the risk a lot of cyclists take with their lives and others.

Thoughts with the victims family,

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Looks a bit like the original Specialized Turbo S.

D92BD53D-3CC0-4FEA-8A6B-56CCF43CA506.jpeg

And no, I don’t believe they were restricted, 500/700W hub motor.
Sorry for the lass and a shame for the rider if she did step out.

Thewootts

Aug 19, 2018
united kingdom
I was only saying to a friend of mine last week.. it's only a matter of time before a highway fatality involving a e-bike.

I expect he has an aftermarket throttle controlled motor on his bike. The kits are littered all over Ebay and Aliexpress for only a few hundred pounds.

Some of those hub drive kits are 900-1000w in power.

uneducated journalists could potentially spread a hell of a lot of poor information to the masses.
could be trouble for the future.

I've seen a few roady gopro videos catching throttle e-bikes wizzing down the road at 30mph plus with no helmet and not peddling.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Looks like an older specialized mtb converted with a throttle, rear hub motor and giant top tube battery.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
How would that stop this sort thing from happening?

Well it's not a great deal of use I a case where somebody has been killed apart from there family would be paid out. But more smaller accidents where they can make a claim and we are covered.

Also I think if we paid some kind of insurance the whole argument of e bikes being dangerous would stop as then they would be the safest insured vehicle on the road and probably the best vehicle for the environment and fitness (apart from a acoustic)

DEADMEAT

Jul 17, 2018
Hertfordshire
Well it's not a great deal of use I a case where somebody has been killed apart from there family would be paid out. But more smaller accidents where they can make a claim and we are covered.

Also I think if we paid some kind of insurance the whole argument of e bikes being dangerous would stop as then they would be the safest insured vehicle on the road and probably the best vehicle for the environment and fitness (apart from a acoustic)

Sucker! We can only hope people like you don't have a vote when the time comes. Just at least do us all a favor and keep your subservient mouth shut about it, so that those of us that want to fight this pointless bullshit should the need arise, aren't also fighting stupidity from our own ranks as well...

DEADMEAT

Jul 17, 2018
Hertfordshire
Dial it back a bit. There's no need to be so aggressive.

You're right, maybe i need insurance so i can cover compensation claims made against me for all the hurt little feelings.... Boo Hoo :(

Wind you're own neck in, i'm just speaking my mind, seems that doesn't go down well round here though, pansies!

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Has Gary got another log in so he can really let us know what he thinks?

That Daily Fail article is sickening, I don't usually click on their links but this time felt the need to see what they had to say about it, despite myself I was surprised at the "journalistic" lows they are willing to sink to. And millions of people take them seriously and fill themselves full of indignant rage that they then feel empowered to share with the world......twats the lot of them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles