Part # 1: Orbea Rise - Upper Linkage Axle and Bearing Service

N16BS

May 15, 2021
Poland
Thanks, Rod. Really appreciate all the knowledge you're putting on here.

Can you please share a photo of how flush (or not) is this left-side nut on your bike? I'm pretty sure the indentation is seated correctly on mine, so I would not be surprised if this small gap I see is how it is supposed to be. Would be great to cross-check with another bike.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK

Can you please share a photo of how flush (or not) is this left-side nut on your bike? I'm pretty sure the indentation is seated correctly on mine, so I would not be surprised if this small gap I see is how it is supposed to be. Would be great to cross-check with another bike.
There are some pics in this thread.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.

N16BS,

I'm sorry about the delay in sending you the requested pictures. My brother now has my Rise and he was away for the weekend. Here are the pictures you requested.

My brother likes to wash his bike once a year, whether it needs it or not....I feel like a parent seeing their child being abused...

IMG_5573.JPG

IMG_5574.JPG

IMG_5575.JPG

N16BS

May 15, 2021
Poland
So a month went since I disassembled the upper linkage on my Hydro Rise. I have ridden around 150km since, all in either wet conditions, or directly under the rain. The bike was hose cleaned in between rides.

IMG_5146.jpeg

After the last wash, I noticed that water-diluted grease is coming out of the top pivot. So today I disassembled the top linkage again.

Bad news - most of the grease was gone, and the inner races of the bearings started rusting a bit. The bearings also become semi-stuck, i.e. they were rotating for a few degrees matching the rotation under the suspension movements. But rotating them past that range was difficult at first.

Good news - removing the axle was easy, despite having Loctite applied as suggested. And the axle itself is in a pristine condition. Also, the bearings in the linkage look good.

Assembling everything a month ago, I used this stuff, which is probably not the most suitable grease for the application. Still, I think the design that basically exposes these bearings to the elements is stupid.
1709599348018.png

Next, I will clean all the bearings and reassemble everything using the PM600 grease. It should last longer.
1709599694139.png

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
So a month went since I disassembled the upper linkage on my Hydro Rise. I have ridden around 150km since, all in either wet conditions, or directly under the rain. The bike was hose cleaned in between rides.

View attachment 135706

After the last wash, I noticed that water-diluted grease is coming out of the top pivot. So today I disassembled the top linkage again.

Bad news - most of the grease was gone, and the inner races of the bearings started rusting a bit. The bearings also become semi-stuck, i.e. they were rotating for a few degrees matching the rotation under the suspension movements. But rotating them past that range was difficult at first.

Good news - removing the axle was easy, despite having Loctite applied as suggested. And the axle itself is in a pristine condition. Also, the bearings in the linkage look good.

Assembling everything a month ago, I used this stuff, which is probably not the most suitable grease for the application. Still, I think the design that basically exposes these bearings to the elements is stupid.
View attachment 135707
Next, I will clean all the bearings and reassemble everything using the PM600 grease. It should last longer.
View attachment 135708
On a positive note, you're riding the bike like it was

View attachment 135706

View attachment 135707
View attachment 135708
N16BS,

It's good to see you're getting your money's worth out of your Rise. You are correct, the design of the pivot axle seals is sub-standard.

If you haven't done so, don't forget to give your lower pivot axle and bearings some love. The lower pivot axle and bearings are exposed to a lot of dirt and debris. I've found the lower pivot bearings will go bad fairly quickly. Here's an a tech article I wrote on servicing the lower pivot linkage.

There are several areas where greases can fail. Examples of this are exposure to water and exposure to high impact loads. If you were to visit my garage, you'd see my shelves contain numerous types of grease that I use. There isn't one perfect grease for all situations, but there is the right grease for the right application.

As you've discovered, the grease you are using has washed out of the bearings. Furthermore, your upper and lower pivot linkage takes repeated high impact shock load hits throughout a ride. The water is thinning the grease out and the shock loads are finishing the job by squeezing the remaining grease out of the bearings and out from around the pivot axles.

Given your severe wet riding environment, you should be using a "Marine" grade water resistant grease, which has a high shock load rating. Marine grade greases are resistant to water wash out. Greases which have a high shock load rating adhere to a bearing surface better and resist being forced out of a bearing or bushing during impacts.

I am not familiar with European marine greases. In the United States, I like to use either Schaeffer's "SynForce Green NLGI # 1" or Lucas Oil "Marine grease." I prefer to use Schaeffers because the stuff sticks like glue and doesn't wash out.

Schareffer's 219 SynForce Green Waterproof Grease

Lucas Oil, Marine Grease

I hope this helps,

Be safe,
Rod

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Don't loose your old 3 piece bis. If you ever want to fit a cascade linkage you will need the through axle (if undamaged) and Orbea are now out of stock of them AKAIK

Good point yes... but i'd have kept it safe anyway for sure.

The Cascade is an interesting option and something i'd deffo go down if this doesn't resolve the situation well enough.

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
IMG_20240324_082809 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

IMG_20240324_082759 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Installed the new Rise linkage today, all parts are completely different, the yoke is swapped and mounts totally differently to the previous one, the tensioner is different and even the bolts to the chainstay are different. The 2 top chainstay bolts are again fiddly little sods, the drive side one is particularly fiddly to align. But once you follow the process, it's not exactly a tough job.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles