Paint quality Levo 2020

Mihail

Nov 11, 2019
Munich
Hi, how do you find the paint quality for your Levos? Mine seems pretty weak, the weakest of any bike I ever owned. It already chipped at multiple places, especially around bolts, even ones I didn't even touch! . Also do you know if they sell small paint bottles as repair kits? Some bike manufacturers do.
20200501_150209 (2)_LI.jpg

Last edited:

MaxyP

May 5, 2020
Wales
Hi, how do you find the paint quality for your Levos? Mine seems pretty weak, the weakest of any bike I ever owned. It already chipped at multiple places, especially around bolts, even ones I didn't even touch! . Also do you know if they sell small paint bottles as repair kits? Some bike manufacturers do. View attachment 31210
Thats really bizarre...mine has chipped in exactly the same spot!!

My rear wheel almost fell out last night on the trial!!

Mihail

Nov 11, 2019
Munich
Thats really bizarre...mine has chipped in exactly the same spot!!

My rear wheel almost fell out last night on the trial!!
Not , that is Bizarre: My rear wheel actually half fell off during a ride. I thought that the dealer didn't tighten it sufficiently. How I'm pharaonic and I check it paranoid each ride. After reading about yours I check even more often...:(

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Hi, how do you find the paint quality for your Levos? Mine seems pretty weak, the weakest of any bike I ever owned. It already chipped at multiple places, especially around bolts, even ones I didn't even touch! . Also do you know if they sell small paint bottles as repair kits? Some bike manufacturers do.

I added some helitape round the chainstays, but did it quite roughly as a first attempt. A couple of months later when I removed it, it pulled some of the paint off with it. Very poor indeed. Yes, Specialized do touch up paints, but they never look the same after.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
I've got the a similar issue with my Merida, the paint itself is great but seems to chip really easily, around bolts, like you said and also from stones being thrown up whilst riding.
It's a lime green colour which is quite unique, but after trying a couple of different make-up stores, (lip stick, perfume etc) I found a nail polish that is very, very close to the colour of the bike. I had to buy a couple of different ones and the first ones didn't match but found one that is great and they are very cheap, looks great if you don't look right up close. Hope this helps.

Mihail

Nov 11, 2019
Munich
I've got the a similar issue with my Merida, the paint itself is great but seems to chip really easily, around bolts, like you said and also from stones being thrown up whilst riding.
It's a lime green colour which is quite unique, but after trying a couple of different make-up stores, (lip stick, perfume etc) I found a nail polish that is very, very close to the colour of the bike. I had to buy a couple of different ones and the first ones didn't match but found one that is great and they are very cheap, looks great if you don't look right up close. Hope this helps.
Thanks, that is a great tip in case I don't find the repair kit from SP.

Mihail

Nov 11, 2019
Munich
I added some helitape round the chainstays, but did it quite roughly as a first attempt. A couple of months later when I removed it, it pulled some of the paint off with it. Very poor indeed. Yes, Specialized do touch up paints, but they never look the same after.
I have quite a lot of Helitape already on the bike. I took my time to make it well from the first attempt. I will be extra careful not to peel the paint when it is time to refresh the helitape.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
I have quite a lot of Helitape already on the bike. I took my time to make it well from the first attempt. I will be extra careful not to peel the paint when it is time to refresh the helitape.
Yeah. I was really surprised that it pulled the paint off. Maybe giving each bit of tape a good warm up prior to removing might soften the glue, if Spec's paint is so bad.

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
I‘m very picky and have never seen a paint issue on 3 Specialized bikes. I also ride them quite hard, on gravel, rocks, etc, and I have not seen the paint chip.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles