Review Outbound Lighting - EVO/Hangover DH package

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Bought these lights last year after much shopping around for a decent set of lights for trail riding. Didn't really see much about them at the time from any UK outlets which all seemed to focus on magicshine and similar but stumbled across a review on a US forum and decided to try them out.

Only got to use them a couple of times last year but have a few more rides on them now and have to say they are excellent. I guess firstly, they've sat around in a cupboard for probably 6-8 months untouched between then and now and as far as I can tell the batteries are absolutely fine with no perceivable degredation over the unused time. The light package includes the EVO which is a wide beam light which sits on the handlebars via a pretty solid feeling mount and a quick release lever for the light (have had no movement of the mount on any rides) and then the Hangover which is a narrow beam/long throw light that sits on the helmet. Batteries are inbuilt with various modes of use available and associated runtime (which has been plenty for all my rides so far)

As a package the light throw and beam pattern is excellent and really allows you to read the trail ahead whilst the helmet light gives you that more focussed light exactly where you're looking at and into corners etc (Plenty of examples on their website of lights in use). Not the cheapest lights but not the most expensive either. Big plus for me was having no separate battery with cables to worry about as everything is built into the light units.

Not stocked in the UK as far as I could tell so don't think there's any way of getting around the shipping/import costs but still a worthy consideration if you're in the market especially considering it's a 2 light package.

20221019_204904.jpg 20221019_204936.jpg

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’m waiting on mine to be delivered, they’re sitting in customs at Heathrow. I refused to pay the insane shipping/import fees so I shipped them to my dad’s house in the US and he shipped them over as a gift. Shipping was $27 vs the £155 OB was charging, they’re under the £500 gift limit so there’s no import/VAT to pay.

seanallgire

Nov 21, 2022
USA
How is the helmet mounted light? The sideways orientation seems like it might "balance" better than a front-to-back orientation which always seem to make my helmet droop down. This seems like it could be a better option.

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
How is the helmet mounted light? The sideways orientation seems like it might "balance" better than a front-to-back orientation which always seem to make my helmet droop down. This seems like it could be a better option.
Good in partnership with the handlebar light. Has a narrower beam with a longer throw to light up where you're looking and it's light enough on the helmet to not really notice it. Certainly not had any issues with it affecting the helmet fit on either of the helmets I run it on (Smith trail helmet and Giro Switchblade).

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I much prefer the light output from this over the exposure diablo I used to have. Only real complaint I had was the mount wouldn’t work with my most worn helmet, the drop frame pro. It has ridges and the mount that came with the light is flat. I ordered a 3D printed GoPro mount for Fox helmets from a local guy and that fixed it right up.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I also really like mine - I've only had them for a month but have 4 rides on them and the light output/pattern is just amazing. I also wish any light would last longer but these are doing what they are advertised to do and I'm very happy.

I initially wasn't very impressed with the helmet light. But yesterday I went on a ride and decided to stay out past sunset and only had the bar mount. I was surprised by how much the helmet light was adding to the experience.

davem85

Feb 1, 2021
Germany
I really wonder why these lights aren't more popular since they seem to be the only no separate battery option with a wide angle / multiple leds.

Import fees and shipping costs are insane unfortunately - it's the only thing holding me back right now. Almost no reviews on YouTube is a bummer but almost a good sign considering what MagicShine is doing there.

Group buy anyone from Germany?

Damin

May 17, 2023
USA
Bought this set and they are amazing. So bright that I run them on medium and low most of the time.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I really wonder why these lights aren't more popular since they seem to be the only no separate battery option with a wide angle / multiple leds.

Import fees and shipping costs are insane unfortunately - it's the only thing holding me back right now. Almost no reviews on YouTube is a bummer but almost a good sign considering what MagicShine is doing there.

Group buy anyone from Germany?
I asked them about selling here in the UK, they said with having to pay the VAT/import duties/sales tax it made it hard for the numbers to make sense for the consumer.

I had mine shipped to my dad in the US, he repacked them and sent them to me as a gift and undervalued them so I didn’t have to pay any fees. Now the UK charges fees on gifts over £50 so I couldn’t get away with it again.

Your other option would be if you’re friends with any US military members. They get an APO box and it ships like it would within the US so no extra fees. I used to get all kinds of stuff from the US for my German friends when I was stationed at Ramstein.

UnreasonableMuppet

Jan 11, 2022
THE YOO ESS OF AYE
I have the Hangover helmet light, and it's excellent. I do pretty well at night with the hangover and a basic cygolight commuter light on the bars. I would like to get out bound's trail evo light too.

If you can just get one, get the hangover.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles