Ordered a CHEEB Clone - Review

duncan12

I have been riding a CHEEB clone for about 2000 miles now and thought I'd post a review for those that may be thinking of going the same route. I bravely purchased my bike pre-build from Aliexpress. Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com It took about 3 months to show. After shipping the total cost was about $3,200. It has most of what you'd expect from a CHEEB:
  • Dengfu Carbon Fiber Frame
  • Bafang 500W motor
  • 29" Wheels
  • a big battery (672Wh)
First, the bad stuff. Lots has gone wrong. Some of it is typical stuff when you get a bike. Some of it is not. Here's a partial list:
  • Chain seized at 150 miles - replaced
  • Rear chain ring broke at 200 miles - replaced
  • Headset was improperly installed - rebuilt
  • Charger melted and stopped working. SCARY. - bought new one
  • Dropper post keeps coming loose - have to rebuild repeatedly
  • Not tubeless as advertised - extra weight.
  • Fork was not RockShox as advertised - OK.
  • The tires were the cheapest Maxxis and wore out quickly - Replaced
  • The speed sensor did not work properly - fiddled for a month until it worked
  • Bike is severely under-braked - Will eventually replace
  • Battery doesn't have great life, get's me about 22 miles - will eventually replace
My CHEEB has spent a lot of time in the shop. I've spent about $500 repairing and replacing all this stuff. So I'm in it for about $3700. So the question now, was it worth the trouble, and is it now worth the money?

The answer for me is a qualified yes. The bike rides great, really great. But it still disappoints me repeatedly. I think I got my money's worth, but I may have been happier if I spent more money. On short rides, after I've fixed the dropper post and everything is tuned up, I feel like this bike is on par with the more expensive bikes, even the ones in the $7k - $9k range. It is VERY strong, handles great, and looks super cool. But then the battery will get weak, the seat post will start rattling, and something else will go wrong. After most rides I am left feeling like I didn't actually cheat the system. I got what I paid for and not much more.

Should you get one? Only if you are prepared to be disappointed. You'll need to fix everything. But after that you have a pretty good bike. It probably comes down to your personality. If you are good grinding it out when everything keeps failing, sure. If you get angry at every little issue, this bike is not for you. I think, if possible, you would be better off getting the frame, motor and better off Aliexpress, and having the rest built at home with a trusted local shop. It will cost more, maybe up to $5k, but worth it.

Good luck and happy shopping.

IOUZIP

Jun 8, 2022
USA
I am on my second Luna frame. Had the X1 (E9) frame for about a year. Then went back and bought the X2 (E10) this year. Took all the parts off and built it back up with Fox 38 fork, Fox Float X rear shock, Fox Transfer Seat post. Shimano (10-45) drivetrain. DT Swiss wheels and hubs. I did keep the Hayes Dominion A4 brakes. I would say from my experience this is a bike with great bones just need good parts to make it better.

1654710320665.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles