Orbea wheels with offset spokes and tram lining(?)

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
On my local loop there’s a twin track trail lined with 300x300 slabs on the surface for heavier vehicles. These have subsided and moved over time and no longer sit level. So much so that when wet there’s a good chance of sliding off the side of them with the slimy winter green everything get in constant damp Uk winter

Riding along this paved path on the stock bike with the race face 30 degree offset spoke line in the rim on my h30 I get a very odd sensation that the bike is trying to roll off line following the slope of the slabs. It’s a bit like riding in a cross wind (it was not windy) or tram lining in a car, where driving I lane 1 of a motorway causes the car to move around in the ruts left by lorries indented into the tarmac

I just put this down to the uneven surface, until a fitted dt Swiss wheels and, low and behold, the tram lining sensation magically disappeared. No veering off or odd loss of balance sensations trying keep the bike straight. The bike just rode over the same stretch like it was level. There was a slight twist sensation at the bars but no loss of balance feeling or trying to counter the slope by leaning to stay straight. (That’s a poor description but I don’t really know how else to describe it)

The oe race face wheels have this weird 30 degree offset spike design meaning the spikes are not on the centre of the rim by this 30 degree offset.

I can’t see how having the rim essentially off centre to the spokes, (but the rim is centred to the width of the hub axle which I presume is the idea) can give even pressure on the rim? Surely it’s bound to twist more on the wide side of the rim than the other?

Loam wolf (I think) on YouTube reviewed the rise and mentioned something odd with the stability of the same rims. I think I found what they were in about.

Couple this problem with the chocolate no name hubs disaster and one has to ask if these wheels are fit for purpose

hind-corners

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2022
Europe
As far as I understand the whole idea of offset rim is to get the tension even (?). I have build few RF offset rims (for myself) and the spoke tension side vs side is almost 1:1 when with non offset rim spoke tension difference is lot more. I have never faced such feeling you describe but if the dishing is not done correctly (or spokes are just loose) I could imagine such think happening.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Thanks for your input, ive tried to straighten buckled wheels with spoke tension and while managed to improve it, it was not successful and put me off the idea of lacing a wheel forever… although I’m sure it helps starting with a rim that is actually straight 😁

I guess I should make it clear that the only difference in riding the same route was the dt Swiss rear wheel. I haven’t actually fitted the dt Swiss front yet.

And having checked the old off set wheel the spokes twang with the same audible give both sides as far as I can tell. Same both sides. Nothing loose. But I’m no expert on spoke tension

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles