Orbea Rise with powermeter cranks anybody?

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
Anybody using cranks with integrated powermeter? Interested in your experience. Which one can be used and are compatible? Which would you recommend or not and why.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
Doesn’t the torque meter already included with the bike provide power data. I’d look into the power data generated by the E Tube Ride App and see if that provides what you are looking for.

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
Doesn’t the torque meter already included with the bike provide power data. I’d look into the power data generated by the E Tube Ride App and see if that provides what you are looking for.
Nope unfortunately not😑. EP8 RS doesnt show any power data as far as i know altough the motor has the data for sure.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Nope unfortunately not😑. EP8 RS doesn't show any power data as far as i know although the motor has the data for sure.
There are no EP8 cranks w/ power meters and Stages won't do a factory install on them. Probably would need to use power meter pedals such as Garmin.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
FYI I was able to install my Stages m8100 left power crankarm on my Rise H15 w/ a FC-m8150 rightside crank arm. Pictured are my 165mm Stages Arm w/ a m8150 Ep8 arm. They were so similar I purchased a matching 8150 right arm off Amazon to match the Stages power meter.

IMG_4159.jpg

tcslalo

Dec 23, 2022
Vienna, Austria
No, There is a ton of clearance.. It fits like a stages power meter would fit on any other bike.
Hi,
after reading this, I bought a used fc-m8100/8120 crankarm with stages powermeter. And it doesn't fit. My Rise is a M10 XL and my crankarms are 170mm. But by the looks of it, I cannot imagine 165mm would make any difference. The flatter part of the stages-housing touches the first part of the chainstay where the cables come out and the thicker part, where the stages-battery sits, has no clearance of the chainstay at all. I estimate it's to thick by 5-8mm.

BiGJZ74 Can you post a picture, how it fits your bike?​

2022-12-23 13.20.27.jpg 2022-12-23 13.20.37.jpg

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
chainstay
Hi,
after reading this, I bought a used fc-m8100/8120 crankarm with stages powermeter. And it doesn't fit. My Rise is a M10 XL and my crankarms are 170mm. But by the looks of it, I cannot imagine 165mm would make any difference. The flatter part of the stages-housing touches the first part of the chainstay where the cables come out and the thicker part, where the stages-battery sits, has no clearance of the chainstay at all. I estimate it's to thick by 5-8mm.

BiGJZ74 Can you post a picture, how it fits your bike?​

View attachment 103403 View attachment 103404
I had a 5mm gap on a Rise H15. I wonder if the carbon frames are a touch wider in that area? before trying... check this Power Meter Compatibility

Last edited:

tcslalo

Dec 23, 2022
Vienna, Austria
Thanks for answering. Seems like carbon is different in this area, maybe it's just chainstay diameter.
Here's a picture of my bike without the powermeter crankarm. I have only something like 6mm clearance (opposed to the 10mm recommendation from stages).
But I tried to come up with an uncoventional solution :) I tried fitting the stages powermeter crankarm to the drive side and put the driveside crankarm on the left side. The powermeter crankarm fits with some clearance on the drive side. So I took the bike for a quite spin around the block. But the powermeter wouldn't work on the wrong side, it simply showed 0 watt and 0 cadence. And as expected the pedals got loose after a while. (to doublecheck if the powermeter is working at all I even fitted it to my analog bike - this time on the correct side - where it worked flawlessly)
bottom line: lesson learnt

2022-12-24 10.51.41.jpg

trailfuchs

Nov 30, 2023
Germany
@BiGJZ74 Hi there, are you still happy with the stages L solution on your Rise H? I reached out to their support and asked them why they weren't providing stages for e-bike cranks. They said it was because of the interference with the motor. Can you provide any info on the quality and reliability of the measurements?

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
@BiGJZ74 Could you please respond?! Would help me a great deal.
Sorry don't go on here as much as I used to. I didn't have any issues at first until I removed my cranks to clean t then didn't torque it enough when I re-installed.....stripped it out going through a rock garden. just using m8150's now until I feel like buying another one.

trailfuchs

Nov 30, 2023
Germany
Just for follow-up: I installed an XT M8100 | M8120 165 mm crank with Stages powermeter on the left side of the ep8 on my Orbea Rise H15 frame-size L. Fits nicely and so far without any issues. Readings are rational and consistent. I used a shorter crank to compensate for the bb drop of my mullet setup and because it was on sale :p
Will add matching (but meter-less) fc-mt-8150 crank on the right side. Will also write to stages, that this setup is working.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles