Orbea Rise reliability

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
The Wife is on the verge of buying a Rise H15 at a good price but I'm needing reassurance about Orbea reliability and warranty.

Those of you who own an Orbea bike, can you list any issues you may have had and how quickly they were resolved please

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
No issues other than general wear and tear. Same goes for my Merida. Both done over 1000 miles each in the usual Pennine slop the UK usually sees...

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Had one slight issue with software update, it crashed but have the PCE02 cable & laptop & sorted it otherwise bike has been awesome

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Only issue for me was the original Rise E13 carbon cranks one, which they replaced with Shimano alloy cranks.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
There are plenty of threads here talking about cranks falling off and motor spindle breaking. Not worth taking a chance for me so I replaced everything with Shimano, upon purchase. No problems for me in 6 months.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
What was the issue? I've heard about them falling off mid ride but been assured that they will cheque the torque and threadlock the bolts to stop this happening
It was just some incompatibility between E13 carbon cranks when attached to the EP8 motor - I think it only affected some carbon Rises, and Orbea should have replaced them all for free by now with alloy ones.

If you are looking at a H15 then I think it will already have alloy cranks, so shouldn’t be a problem 😀

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
If a motor goes atm your 3+ months waiting, I know someone who has had 2 motor failures so far and is still waiting, I own one also and it’s a great bike so far

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I had been monitoring the Rise reliability for a while as I had originally put myself on the list for one.

What I found was that, overall, they are pretty reliable. They had some issues (well documented on the forums) but every e-bike or new model of bike does.

I was searching for a second generation one (2023+) because of the minor improvements from Gen 1. Although I would have been comfortable with an alloy 2022 version of the Rise, as they already incorporated some minor improvements from the original carbon ones.

In the end, I changed my order to a Fuel EXe because I wanted a new bike this spring and wasn’t able to get an ETA for the Rise.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
The Wife is on the verge of buying a Rise H15 at a good price but I'm needing reassurance about Orbea reliability and warranty.

Those of you who own an Orbea bike, can you list any issues you may have had and how quickly they were resolved please
Main issue with my h30 is the No name hubs made of chocolate. Busted axle and destroyed the free hub. No real issues otherwise

Oh, except….. busted t10 sprocket because I increased the assist quality to max and left the derailier clutch off. Bad moves

And had to service and apply bearing fix to the top suspension axle to stop it creaking. Common issue

Nearly half the normal range in sub zero conditions (but above -10)

Apart from that

Oh bar flop. Or wheel flop in climes. Which is normal I gather

Really happy with the bike to be honest. Light ish. Poppy. I’d say fairly reliable bar the hubs, a problem born of covid supply issues. Orbea warranty desperately slow but given the times

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I have already recounted on this forum how my mate ended up waiting for nine months for the delivery of his slightly upgraded H15 only for the motor to then throw an EO10 error after only 250 miles just before Christmas. He has now been waiting two months for a new motor with no signs of one arriving yet.

The lbs have done their best to help out by letting use their demo bike if it is available and he was on that bike, in the middle of nowhere, yesterday afternoon when he suddenly and disastrously discovered that that bike had one of the no name Chinese hubs also.

He had quite a push back (no zippy ties with him).

All bikes break, it's how quickly they get repaired that builds or destroys a reputation.

Borbea

Nov 13, 2022
Sweden
I have already recounted on this forum how my mate ended up waiting for nine months for the delivery of his slightly upgraded H15 only for the motor to then throw an EO10 error after only 250 miles just before Christmas. He has now been waiting two months for a new motor with no signs of one arriving yet.

The lbs have done their best to help out by letting use their demo bike if it is available and he was on that bike, in the middle of nowhere, yesterday afternoon when he suddenly and disastrously discovered that that bike had one of the no name Chinese hubs also.

He had quite a push back (no zippy ties with him).

All bikes break, it's how quickly they get repaired that builds or destroys a reputation.

Did his motor stop working with the E010? I get a feeling the shimano error system is a bit sensitive. So if the motor continue to work as usual after the error code I would not worry. Also the Error codes stay in the log even if the error disappears.

Get a feeling people visit the LBS to easily. I would not if the motor works as usual.

Answer from Shimano tech support if it helps others. The error log cannot be cleared and is a permanent record. It records each instance of an error so multiple errors may show a more serious ongoing issue whereas a single recorded error may just be a 'startup or momentary software glitch'. Tech advised the E01003 error which many users on this forum have reported on their EP8 motors (including brand new bikes) is not worrisome if it is not a recurring error but can be caused by improper startup of the bike and a few other startup/initialization issues. Tech further advised it would not affect future warranty claims

Last edited:

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Get a feeling people visit the LBS to easily. I would not if the motor works as usual.
Are you implying my Glaswegian, degree qualified engineer mate, is a bit of a snowflake? :eek:

My personal experience, with two E8000 motors, is that once they start throwing EO10 errors they are truly toast. Even if they turn on again, it won't be long before you have another blackout.

My mate's EP8 had him walking back from two rides before Madison consigned it to the skip.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Why do you not have the full code?
If you are addressing me, I don't know what you mean by "full code".
On my E8000's the only codes to come up were (and still are on my old Canyon stuck at the back of the garage) WO13 and EO10.
I never saw the code on my mate's Rise but he clearly read EO10 several times on the display and his dealer, after consulting with Madison, ruled his EP8 motor toast whatever other codes he was able to read.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
If you are addressing me, I don't know what you mean by "full code".
On my E8000's the only codes to come up were (and still are on my old Canyon stuck at the back of the garage) WO13 and EO10.
I never saw the code on my mate's Rise but he clearly read EO10 several times on the display and his dealer, after consulting with Madison, ruled his EP8 motor toast whatever other codes he was able to read.
Right so on the ep8 with e tube ride ( correction e tube app, not the ride app) app, there is a maintenance tab once connected to the bike and the motor unit selected (from memory) in there you can see what code has been raised along with a description of that cause and a course of action to take. (Take it to the bike shop usually)

You’ll see that the first letter and three digits are displayed but there are following digits that complete the code. You “may” be able to diagnose something that’s not internal to the motor, eg a speed sensor, and fix the wiring yourself, but the codes are a bit ambiguous and mostly relate to the drive unit so if that’s your code you know where you stand (fcuked probably 😄)

I thought everyone knew this.

If the bike is not connected you can see the codes list by tapping the sprocket button bottom right then error / warning code (wait for it to populate )

Anyway hope that helps. But it probably won’t, if you see what I mean

01CD2CE6-32AA-450C-9CF5-3D73B9FA9EE8.jpeg 9E7BE412-B84D-4DFA-894A-4591B1639FEE.jpeg BE29FDCB-F570-45F6-9BDC-96A060C3A15D.jpeg

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Mine raised this code and didn’t tell me. Presume it’s not a major code as it still drives ok. It was bloody cold at the time and I do get frustrated with the thing when you set off and forget to turn the poxy thing on, so then have to get off agsin to reach the power button by which time everyone has cleared off so your in a rush. Which probably caused this code by riding off before it’s ready

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles