Orbea Rise rear derailleur hanger mounting kit issue

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Removed rear wheel today to wash my Rise M10 and noticed as I pulled the axle out it brought the plastic ring with it that holds the rear derailleur mounting kit in place . It's the part that says to pull and twist on the frame . On looking at it it's stripped the plastic tabs / guides inside the plastic ring , so it doesn't twist and lock anymore . It's not going to cause anything to drop off once the wheel is in place but its a bit of a crap design , wondering if it was ever fitted properly because it also had a slither of plastic that had come loose . I've been careful with it since I've had it , its my first carbon frame so I bought a torque wrench as soon as I got it . I'll include pics , but just a heads up to keep an eye on it .

PXL_20210321_155529949.jpg

PXL_20210321_155304610.jpg

PXL_20210321_155215828.jpg

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
The plastic part broke off mine the first time I tried to remove the rear wheel. No issues though.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
so is it a problem if the tabs are missing? Does the through axle hold it all together?

I've just replaced my hanger and one of the teeth is already mangled.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
so is it a problem if the tabs are missing? Does the through axle hold it all together?

I've just replaced my hanger and one of the teeth is already mangled.
Through axle holds it all together , only issue I've had is the retaining ring coming off with the through axle and then potentially the mech can fall off if you don't put the axle back in when wheel is removed for loading in the car

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
There is something strange going on back there. I have just replaced the axle bearings and used all new rear axle hardwear bought from Orbea. I have noticed that when it is all pushed back together as tight as possible there is still about 5 mm before the tags on the twist-lock spacer even engage with the slots on the hanger. There is no physical way this can ever be made up. The hanger is as far through the seat/chainstay holes as it can go and is flat and tight where it should sit. The bearing is pressed in as far as it can possibly go, the spacer slides onto the hanger and then comes up against the bearing but is still 5mm short of being able to engage the tabs in the slots! If I do the axle up tight is all holds together fine and it rides OK. I noticed the axle is 5-6mm shy on the non drive side though. That can't be right either can it? There seems like there is no logical explanation I have the original hanger and hardwear and that is exactly the same dimensions. Only thing I can think of is that the alloy splay on the seatstay has expanded somehow, but that would make no sense.

Has anyone else had this problem?

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
No resolution here, but I have checked with a new bike and the axle doesn't sit flush on the non-drive side so that isn't an issue. And since doing it all up after bearing change it hasn't come loose or presented any other type of issue and that is half a year and a lot of very hard miles so I have stopped worrying about it now!

pc1970

Oct 1, 2023
worthing UK
No resolution here, but I have checked with a new bike and the axle doesn't sit flush on the non-drive side so that isn't an issue. And since doing it all up after bearing change it hasn't come loose or presented any other type of issue and that is half a year and a lot of very hard miles so I have stopped worrying about it now!
excellent to hear, can you confirm it still sits 5mm or so from being flush. it still doesnt look right that a hollow aluminium bolt seems to be the only thing keeping the seatstay non drive side attached to the rest of the bike.

Are there any other Orbea rise owners that have noticed the non drive side recessed? Be interesting to know if they are all like this 🤔

pc1970

Oct 1, 2023
worthing UK
I ordered it this morning, lets hope it does a better job. As the existing twist and pull mechanism doesnt engage properly I believe this restricts the bolt from inserting by atleast a couple of mm. It seems common so maybe just design floor. Will report back when i have fitted new hanger. Thanks for replies

Reactions: MOG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles