Orbea Rise brake rotor upgrade and W101 error code

TomJones

Jan 28, 2022
UK
Hi. Like most of us I think I have upgraded the brakes on my H30 Rise.

I've added 6120 4 pot Deore and 203 rotors. This was done by an independent mechanic not the place I bought the bike from.

I am now getting a W101 error and the motor is not engaging. From my research I think that there might have been a magnet linked to a speed sensor and the motor on the old rotors. And that the rotor change means that the magnet is either not working or has not been swapped over.

Does that sound likely, or am I barking up the wrong tree? All thoughts welcome.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
Hi. Like most of us I think I have upgraded the brakes on my H30 Rise.

I've added 6120 4 pot Deore and 203 rotors. This was done by an independent mechanic not the place I bought the bike from.

I am now getting a W101 error and the motor is not engaging. From my research I think that there might have been a magnet linked to a speed sensor and the motor on the old rotors. And that the rotor change means that the magnet is either not working or has not been swapped over.

Does that sound likely, or am I barking up the wrong tree? All thoughts welcome.
almost certainly the speed magnet was not reinstalled

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
What discs were fitted by the mechanic? You either need something woth a built in magent or you'll have to add one.

My Rise came with a disc that had the magent built in. It couldn't be swapped to another disc. I bought a Shimano EM800 (xt level ice tech with a magnet built in).

You can buy bolt on magnets direct from Orbea for not much money. I think the bolt on bosch ones will work fine too.

There's talk of using epoxy to bond magent to discs but I don't trust that personally. Fine as a bodge but I wouldn't trust it long term

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles