TFSkeleton

Apr 28, 2021
Bournemouth
Hi all,
Not rode a MTB/E-MTB in about 10 years, now i've settled down a bit looking into getting back into (bad timing, i know) I'm 6ft 2 and weigh less than 10 stone and mainly riding single track and trail riding. probably venturing more into technical as time goes on.

I was looking heavily at the Canyon Spectral:On CF8/9, but missed out on that in my size. I'm looking at the Cannondale Habit Neo as a secondary but i'm unsure of the Bosch motor, as i personally think the Shimano is going to have more sustainability moving forward due to parts availability and that Shimano are letting MTB OEM's design their own batteries etc.

But what's everyone's opinions on 5-7.5k Bikes (GBP). I have done research into this and know that the only two motors i'm looking at is shimano ep-8 and The Bosch. SRAM brakes on the Whyte E-160 are garbage so probably going to look for something which is cheaper so i can spend the £300-£500 for magura without going over budget and it's got to be full suspension as i'll be keeping this for 5 year

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I think Magura brakes would be a good upgrade. If you do your own maintenance I think that mineral oil is the way to go…even though it’s blue in colour. (Don’t know if there’s any difference to the red Shimano?)
Either one of those motors are good.
Welcome btw

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Welcome Skeleton..
E160rs rider here ..never had a problem stopping in time with the Sram brakes or feathering as and when needed using Uber sintered pads...and I'm a good bit heavier than you ..in fact I would say that they are as good as any that I've previously experienced including Hope 4 pots & Shimano XT on a Nomad & T130rs respectively in recent times..

TFSkeleton

Apr 28, 2021
Bournemouth
Welcome Skeleton..
E160rs rider here ..never had a problem stopping in time with the Sram brakes or feathering as and when needed using Uber sintered pads...and I'm a good bit heavier than you ..in fact I would say that they are as good as any that I've previously experienced including Hope 4 pots & Shimano XT on a Nomad & T130rs respectively in recent times..
Hey Chief,
Yeah i've heard 50/50 about the brakes, after riding one for myself i'm pretty sure it's not a major issue with regards to componentry, just in comparison to the cheaper maguras they just dont work for me at all.

Thanks for the welcome @Stihldog I'd probably be doing 50/50 my own maintenance and shop maintenance, just because i do maintenance at work and on my motorbike and i cba working all the time haha, but yeah i've heard the mineral fluid (never been told a specific colour is better) is the way to go with maguras.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi mate.....my first advice would be to buy from a local LBS, or if that is not possible at least a shop you are prepared to travel to. You can do all your own maintenance ( as I do) and thats great, but there is virtually nothing you can do to resolve a problem with the battery or motor or controller . So having a decent warranty and being able to take the bike to a dealer should be a prime purchase criterea.

I hear what you say regarding brakes, and I have to say there are plenty of others on the forum who have similar attitudes towards certain brake brands. I use a Levo Comp with Guide RE brakes and a Whyte E180 with Code RSC brakes.........my Wife's Cube uses Shimano. For trail riding the only difference between any of them is how well they are set up and maintained. For more adjustability and for more serious decent work obviously the Codes coupled with larger rotors keep their power longer but the REs on the Levo cope equally well provided we are not talking Alpine descents! So the Whyte E160 uses REs or Code Rs depending on the model, and either would be fine for the sort of riding you described. On the flip side, search here and you will find Magura brake users also report problems.
In short, there is no reason to discount the E160 on the basis of brakes!!
Second decision criterea should really be getting a bike best suited to the type of riding you described. In terms of geometry and handling I would rate the Levo ( probably Comp) and Whyte E160 equally suitable for general trail riding/singletrack with both having plenty of additional capability to handle more gnarly terrain when you are ready. In terms of motors I have not ridden the EP8 but have experience of Bosch and Brose. There is no doubt in my mind that the most sophisticated pedal assist control is the Brose. The Bosch is powerful but a bit less refined in terms of power delivery and does not have the same tuning controls as the Brose with its Mission Control software. Specialized also have by far the best warranty scheme ( certainly compared to Whyte who only warranty the frame and pivot bearings).
Good luck with your search.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles