Opinions please on a possible fork purchase

Nvigr8

Nov 4, 2020
KERRVILLE, TX
Hello all, I would like opions on a possible fork purchase please. I have a '20 Cannondale Habit Neo 2 XL with with an aftermarket '21 RockShox Zeb Select + (non e-mtb version). I'm considering buying a '22 Fox Factory 36E Fit Grip 2 (e-optimized) to swap out. The ZEB is nice and stiff, but I've never really been happy with the plushness and especially not the weight on the front end. I'd be willing to give up a bit of stiffness for more plush and less weight. Last Fox I had was on my analog a few years back and I really liked it at the time. I ride mostly long, technical singletrack, no jumping or enduro-type stuff. I'm a big guy at 6'2" and 250+ lbs (at the moment...). I set my fork up with a little more travel and max sag because, like I said, I'm looking for plush due to bad wrists and a penchance for long rides. Thanks for any input.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I agree with Rob, chuck some aftermarket fruit in there. Get a custom turn.

Can you change the the damper to ultimate internals?

At your weight I wouldn't go down to a 36. Go 38 if you want to change to fox.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
The Smashpot is amazing but would add 140g more to your Zeb which if want lighter, isn’t right. For a different fork I can’t recommend the manitou Mezzer pro enough. Stiffer than a 36 & can be set very plush. Also have you tired speeding up the rebound, too slow can make it feel harsh

PDXRooster

Nov 4, 2022
Portland, OR
Hello all, I would like opions on a possible fork purchase please. I have a '20 Cannondale Habit Neo 2 XL with with an aftermarket '21 RockShox Zeb Select + (non e-mtb version). I'm considering buying a '22 Fox Factory 36E Fit Grip 2 (e-optimized) to swap out. The ZEB is nice and stiff, but I've never really been happy with the plushness and especially not the weight on the front end. I'd be willing to give up a bit of stiffness for more plush and less weight. Last Fox I had was on my analog a few years back and I really liked it at the time. I ride mostly long, technical singletrack, no jumping or enduro-type stuff. I'm a big guy at 6'2" and 250+ lbs (at the moment...). I set my fork up with a little more travel and max sag because, like I said, I'm looking for plush due to bad wrists and a penchance for long rides. Thanks for any input.
Like others have said you'd be better off spending some money on upgrades rather than getting a new fork. Add the new Debonair+ air spring, Diaz Runt, or the Vorsprung Luftkappe & Secus and you'll have a better fork for far less less money than a new 38.

Nvigr8

Nov 4, 2020
KERRVILLE, TX
My apologies. I should have said that it's a closeout fork for $599. Figured I could sell the Zeb and get back half and possibly end up with a better feeling fork. Ive not been keeping up technical suspension stuff for the past couple of years... I don't race or anything. Just want something to make riding long distance trails more comfortable. Looks like the whole Vorspring conversion with all suggested parts might be a little pricey...

Nvigr8

Nov 4, 2020
KERRVILLE, TX
The Smashpot is amazing but would add 140g more to your Zeb which if want lighter, isn’t right. For a different fork I can’t recommend the manitou Mezzer pro enough. Stiffer than a 36 & can be set very plush. Also have you tired speeding up the rebound, too slow can make it feel harsh
I have always like the Mezzer and If I could find one at a good price would certainly consider it. I have indeed tried speeding up the rebound but did not help much in my case.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Setting low sag with make it worse.. you need to go other direction... if you ride with fork low in travel it will be more harsh. It's try a heavier casing tire and lower pressure, perhaps an insert would help.

Also, I've been riding for long long time... you will never fine the plushness you are looking for without serious compromises. Fine if you ride slow.. mtb is super brutal on hands and wrists.

Also check out flex bars Flexx E-MTB and the hammerhead 360 isolation stem. XC Gear Hammerhead 360 vibration damping stem claims to reduced hand/arm fatigue

I use hammerhead on my dirt bike and it's great!

Nvigr8

Nov 4, 2020
KERRVILLE, TX
Setting low sag with make it worse.. you need to go other direction... if you ride with fork low in travel it will be more harsh. It's try a heavier casing tire and lower pressure, perhaps an insert would help.

Also, I've been riding for long long time... you will never fine the plushness you are looking for without serious compromises. Fine if you ride slow.. mtb is super brutal on hands and wrists.

Also check out flex bars Flexx E-MTB and the hammerhead 360 isolation stem. XC Gear Hammerhead 360 vibration damping stem claims to reduced hand/arm fatigue

I use hammerhead on my dirt bike and it's great!
I did start out with much less sag and yes there were other benefits to that setup which I acknowledge. However the small bump sensitivity wasn't there and it just didn't feel plush. That was with a 150 travel internals swapped in. I've just found the ride with 170mm internals and lower pressure feel better overall for my riding. It's tolerable for now.

I am already running 29" Emtb Perelli Scorpions on 2.6" width with minimal pressure. That setup does help alot but it also feels really sluggish and my battery range suffers.

Ive been riding for 20yrs and painfully know how brutal it is on hands and wrists (and other body parts). I also realize the perfect setup is a unicorn. I'm just wanting to know from potientially more knowledgeable ppl if this alternative fork may feel better than what I currently have.

Thanks for the suggestions on the other parts. I'll have to check them out. The stem especially. I'm using a high sweep bar that I really like and not ready to give that up yet.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I did start out with much less sag and yes there were other benefits to that setup which I acknowledge. However the small bump sensitivity wasn't there and it just didn't feel plush. That was with a 150 travel internals swapped in. I've just found the ride with 170mm internals and lower pressure feel better overall for my riding. It's tolerable for now.

I am already running 29" Emtb Perelli Scorpions on 2.6" width with minimal pressure. That setup does help alot but it also feels really sluggish and my battery range suffers.

Ive been riding for 20yrs and painfully know how brutal it is on hands and wrists (and other body parts). I also realize the perfect setup is a unicorn. I'm just wanting to know from potientially more knowledgeable ppl if this alternative fork may feel better than what I currently have.

Thanks for the suggestions on the other parts. I'll have to check them out. The stem especially. I'm using a high sweep bar that I really like and not ready to give that up yet.
It's hard to say without knowing your terrain and how fast you ride.

But if it's high speed chatter, rocky or hard packed dirt, there's really nothing you can do for that.. riding slower stuff you can get it really plush. I've been searching for the elusive small bump sensitivity for years.. I still get my ass kicked on high speed chatter!:) especially longer runs.

Also you should never tune your fork with low pressure.. you can go low end of recommendation but past that you will get diminishing results. Air is just to keep you in the ideal ride zone.. after that for small bump it would be custom valving. Or try a better damper/ fork.. coil better for small bump as well. Imo.

170mm could feel better simply because it raised your bars and took weight off front tire.

Last edited:

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I bought the fox factory 36 in e-bike tune brand new last year. Best chunk of cash I've thrown at the bike since upgrading the rear to a factory DPX2.
It's plush and has reduced the wrist pain I was suffering a lot. I don't think you'd look back

Nvigr8

Nov 4, 2020
KERRVILLE, TX
It's hard to say without knowing your terrain and how fast you ride.

But if it's high speed chatter, rocky or hard packed dirt, there's really nothing you can do for that.. riding slower stuff you can get it really plush. I've been searching for the elusive small bump sensitivity for years.. I still get my ass kicked on high speed chatter!:) especially longer runs.

Also you should never tune your fork with low pressure.. you can go low end of recommendation but past that you will get diminishing results. Air is just to keep you in the ideal ride zone.. after that for small bump it would be custom valving. Or try a better damper/ fork.. coil better for small bump as well. Imo.

170mm could feel better simply because it raised your bars and took weight off front tire.
I'm in the Texas hill country so its a combo of hardpack, rocks and loose over hard. I ride the XC trails primarily but I do like to go long and fast. Ebike after all.

I'm running the fork at the lowest end of recommendation on the side of the leg but not below. I'd prefer not to go coil if I can avoid it... Plus, I'd like to get the front end a little lighter.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I'm in the Texas hill country so its a combo of hardpack, rocks and loose over hard. I ride the XC trails primarily but I do like to go long and fast. Ebike after all.

I'm running the fork at the lowest end of recommendation on the side of the leg but not below. I'd prefer not to go coil if I can avoid it... Plus, I'd like to get the front end a little lighter.
You could try a 3.0 dhf front tire, run it at like 18lbs.. should give you lots of forgiveness..

Maxxis Minion DHF PLUS 29+ 3C/EXO/TR MTB Tire at BikeTiresDirect

you might dig it for xc trails in your conditions..

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
Try 500+ grams including oil and thats with a 40lb spring.

Reactions: THA

THA

Sep 16, 2023
Finland
Try 500+ grams including oil and thats with a 40lb spring.
Parts added, inc. 30 lbs/in spring, 551 g and parts removed 98 g. Then 90 ml of oil and 30-40 g of grease. That makes Zeb over 2,8 kg monster.

I think solution for Nvigr8 would be DVO Onyx SC E1 - 180 mm, 2250 g, OTT is very comparable to coil spring in mid-range and D1 damper is the best damper I know. Sapphire was only 14 g heavier than specs...

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles