Oneup carbon bars, Knock block lockring adaptor & Non Trek stems

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I'd heard about the Oneup carbon bars being good for trail chatter & fatigue so bought a set. Then found out they only come in 35mm so bought a new stem. Then tried to put them on in the carpark by the trail & found out they don't fit because a special lockring spacer adaptor thing is needed to hold all the spacers together for the stupid knock block to work. Good grief.
Ok now but they're out of stock on this side of the world, not in till next month & the shop wants $85.00 just for the bloody ring!
Any of you Trek experienced guys have any suggestions?

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
I'd heard about the Oneup carbon bars being good for trail chatter & fatigue so bought a set. Then found out they only come in 35mm so bought a new stem. Then tried to put them on in the carpark by the trail & found out they don't fit because a special lockring spacer adaptor thing is needed to hold all the spacers together for the stupid knock block to work. Good grief.
Ok now but they're out of stock on this side of the world, not in till next month & the shop wants $85.00 just for the bloody ring!
Any of you Trek experienced guys have any suggestions?
The 9 comes with 35mm bars, maybe get a Trek stem?

plu29um

Apr 24, 2019
Denmark
I bought this stem for my 35mm Spank bars:

This one should work as well:

As should this one:

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Bontrager stem is the only option.

Or just run it without. I had another Trek with a KB, a half decent crash means you will break it anyway & the fork still hits the rubber DT protector. As long as that's there, don't sweat it. I never replaced the broken bit on mine, crashed a bunch more times & never had a problem.

Rail5

Dec 12, 2019
Yorkshire
I have renthal carbon with a renthal stem but using the adapter with hope spacers. This was fitted at trek to be fair whilst in fir a service it works perfect

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll look at machining the stem I got as it will probably be the cheapest option.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Excellent idea. The cost of that ring is ridiculous!
I don't think I'm welcome back at the bike shop now after my reply when they told me a simple Trek spacer (with the tabs) would cost $65.00NZ (33GBP) ? The normal ones down the road are $2 ea
I have really gone off Trek as a brand for the propriety price gouging.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I have really gone off Trek as a brand for the propriety price gouging.
Yeah I really can't blame you there, I felt the same way with getting bits for my Remedy, swore I'd never buy another Trek. And here I am with another one :rolleyes: It's very annoying, but Treks represent such good bang for buck (at least here in NZ), you think you're getting good value for money until you try to buy proprietary bits like the lock ring spacer:LOL: To be fair though, they're still great bikes, which is why I put up with it. You can get some parts cheaper from the UK, some places charge heaps for shipping but you can get around that with YouShop

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm sure if you asked nicely, a UK resident would post one out to you when there's stock...

Looks like it would cost about £10 to post one tracked and signed for worldwide.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I'm sure if you asked nicely, a UK resident would post one out to you when there's stock...

Looks like it would cost about £10 to post one tracked and signed for worldwide.
Very kind of you to offer, thank you! ?? £10 not too terrible at all for shipping!

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Yeah I really can't blame you there, I felt the same way with getting bits for my Remedy, swore I'd never buy another Trek. And here I am with another one :rolleyes: It's very annoying, but Treks represent such good bang for buck (at least here in NZ), you think you're getting good value for money until you try to buy proprietary bits like the lock ring spacer:LOL: To be fair though, they're still great bikes, which is why I put up with it. You can get some parts cheaper from the UK, some places charge heaps for shipping but you can get around that with YouShop
Haha, yeah same for Rocky Mountain original parts. Importer adds 200%, shop adds 100% and a part that's $20 retail in Canehdia ends up being $100 here lol.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Well problem solved. After realising I was totally overthinking it I got out the dremel & made a couple of grooves in the stem & sat it on the Trek spacers. My Funn stem is a bit narrower than the original so I put a couple of normal spacers on top & tightened it up. A bit time consuming but felt pretty satisfied that it all came together.
So was it worth it you may ask... I was pretty sceptical before I rode them but yes I have to say the Oneup bars are probably the best thing I've done on the bike so far. It's hard to describe but the feel of them is so comfortable & forgiving just sitting on the bike holding them. When I held the original (heavy!) bars they felt like a piece of metal tube. When I held the carbon bars they felt like they were almost a living thing - weird I know. I took the bike for a thrash around the tracks this avo & didn't get any of the usual jarring or arm pump so really really pleased with them.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
You're right Trek & Giant are very good value over here - well Trek was until the bikes ran out. My bike is now $2K more expensive than it was 2 months ago. Hmmm could I use that as justification to get the DVO coil......
I don't use youshop much now as I have found they are often more expensive than amazon etc. I use them if they won't send products to NZ.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Well problem solved. After realising I was totally overthinking it I got out the dremel & made a couple of grooves in the stem & sat it on the Trek spacers. My Funn stem is a bit narrower than the original so I put a couple of normal spacers on top & tightened it up. A bit time consuming but felt pretty satisfied that it all came together.
So was it worth it you may ask... I was pretty sceptical before I rode them but yes I have to say the Oneup bars are probably the best thing I've done on the bike so far. It's hard to describe but the feel of them is so comfortable & forgiving just sitting on the bike holding them. When I held the original (heavy!) bars they felt like a piece of metal tube. When I held the carbon bars they felt like they were almost a living thing - weird I know. I took the bike for a thrash around the tracks this avo & didn't get any of the usual jarring or arm pump so really really pleased with them.
It does sound very satisfying, I love the DIY tinkering side of MTB (y)Good to know how you got on with the OneUp bar, I've nearly convinced myself I should have one too ;) Did you get the 20mm or 35mm rise?
just added: yep agree YouShop are quite expensive these days. So our bikes have gone up in value? In that case, definitely get the DVO coil! :D

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
You also don’t need it on the L as well. I have over 1cm of clearance with an Ohlins fork.

Ive removed it, as it’s pointless, rather than just running a normal stem as I was. Hope top cap, normal spacers & OneUp stem so I can run the tool in it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles