One of the best 'blue' routes in the UK?

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
I had never heard of the place until yesterday - but I travelled down to Bodmin in Cornwall to ride Cardinham Woods. Its a blue route with two red loops off it (The Hells Teeth climb is bloody steep). I felt it was a bit more than just a blue, but whatever, it is a fantastic track. Approx 7 miles in total but you can also ride to the nearby Lanhydrock where there are a few more blue routes and red dual slalom. Certainly the best days riding I've had in a while - I did it 3 times before the light gave out! Check it out if you get the chance.
cardinham.jpg

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
That’s our local ,it nice to read some good feedback from it , we ride it lots in the winter when the other trails and moor are too wet , so probably just take it as bit same old , It’s hard to judge ratings , I guess the trails are a blue except hells teeth but the drop off on side of the trail in places could up that due to danger levels I guess , certainly compared to the blue rating at haldon near Exeter they are far more difficult or risky .
Give us a shout if your this way again we’ll show you the great trails on the moor , or meet you at cardinham for a ride .

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Funny how different riders have different experiences, I found cardinham a nice scenic ride, but not particuarly fun because the descents didnt seem to flow very well at all.

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
That’s our local ,it nice to read some good feedback from it , we ride it lots in the winter when the other trails and moor are too wet , so probably just take it as bit same old , It’s hard to judge ratings , I guess the trails are a blue except hells teeth but the drop off on side of the trail in places could up that due to danger levels I guess , certainly compared to the blue rating at haldon near Exeter they are far more difficult or risky .
Give us a shout if your this way again we’ll show you the great trails on the moor , or meet you at cardinham for a ride .
Nice one mate - and I will give you a shout when down that way again

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
Funny how different riders have different experiences, I found cardinham a nice scenic ride, but not particuarly fun because the descents didnt seem to flow very well at all.
Yes lots of switchbacks which slow it down - but several sections were very quick - that’s what I remember!

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I think that’s fair to say compared to most other trail centres it’s got tighter corners which tend you make it a bit stop start , it takes more runs than most before it begins to flow .
We all think some if it could be designed better , but that’s easy to say in retrospect , considering it’s been there a few years and expectations have changed . I find the climbing there very hard on a normal bike as some it is so steep you are often pushing very hard . It’s very good for night rides , and if your not bothered about battery life you can gave a very full on 2 laps on an ebike , but probably not make a third

Reactions: Dax

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I must say its a beautiful spot too, after riding we had a bbq down by the river :)

I quite enjoyed riding lanhydrock (sp?) which is pretty close, the short loops made it very suitable for my missus who didn't want to go for a long ride, but enjoyed riding a 1-2 mile loop, and then the next one, etc. I was quite amused when a bloke in the car park warned me about the red being totally mental...I'd ridden Schleyer the week before ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles