Older rider new outlook from Angus

audistwo

Jan 3, 2023
Angus
How do folks?

Looking to get into ebiking as my knees are starting to complain.
52 and a number of accidents over the years has taken its toll 😁
I've my eyes on a Scott aspect eride 940.
Been looking online and not seen any real reviews.

Hopefully going for a test ride on Thursday.

Cheers

Steve

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
How do folks?

Looking to get into ebiking as my knees are starting to complain.
52 and a number of accidents over the years has taken its toll 😁
I've my eyes on a Scott aspect eride 940.
Been looking online and not seen any real reviews.

Hopefully going for a test ride on Thursday.

Cheers

Steve
Old !!! Your only just out of short trousers dear boy 😉

audistwo

Jan 3, 2023
Angus
Well, the current mental age is about 25, my bones feel about 75 due to misuse over the years :LOL:

The test went well. Impressed with the hill assist. The wider handlebars I'm not used to, will keep at it or change at some point.

It's definitely got my interest.

Discussed a few things with the lad at the bike shop.
No hard sell or pushing a high end full suspension.

But the one I tested may not be the one.

Now considering this instead.

Still finding my way about, checking what's available out there

NCMike

Aug 12, 2022
georgia
Well, the current mental age is about 25, my bones feel about 75 due to misuse over the years :LOL:
Boy do I resemble that remark! At 57 with three knee surgery's on my left knee, and another one likely on the way, knee issues are always a concern. Add in a back and wrist surgery, and I'm certainly feeling older than my age might suggest. I've always loved mountain biking, but with advancing years I've been getting slower in the climbs, getting passed by others (hate that!), unable to ride the distances I used to, and running my heart rate in zone 5 for most of my rides. It wasn't as fun as it used to be, and I started riding less. Enter my 2022 Turbo Levo (expert). I feel like I'm in my 20's again when I'm on this bike! I love it! I call it my "Time machine" instead of my E bike. I'm riding longer, faster, having WAY more fun, burning more calories, and doing so in a much "safer" zone 3 or 4 heart rate. I can ride for several hours, then go do it again the next day. I just turn up the power the next day and can go just as fast as the day before. On my analog bike, I was hurting for days after a ride, and wouldn't even consider trying to ride the next day. The only problem is the added capability of this bike is making me want to do things I probably shouldn't be at my age. I'm going off jumps, blowing through rock gardens, and taking lines I never would have considered on my 120mm Spec Camber Pro. These bikes are a lot of money, but its the best money I have spend when I factor in the fun and exercise factor I'm getting back. I thought I'd still want to ride my analog Camber, but after getting some time on the Levo, I haven't ridden it a single time. I just have SO much more fun on the Levo, the Camber is just collecting dust.

audistwo

Jan 3, 2023
Angus
Boy do I resemble that remark! At 57 with three knee surgery's on my left knee, and another one likely on the way, knee issues are always a concern. Add in a back and wrist surgery, and I'm certainly feeling older than my age might suggest. I've always loved mountain biking, but with advancing years I've been getting slower in the climbs, getting passed by others (hate that!), unable to ride the distances I used to, and running my heart rate in zone 5 for most of my rides. It wasn't as fun as it used to be, and I started riding less. Enter my 2022 Turbo Levo (expert). I feel like I'm in my 20's again when I'm on this bike! I love it! I call it my "Time machine" instead of my E bike. I'm riding longer, faster, having WAY more fun, burning more calories, and doing so in a much "safer" zone 3 or 4 heart rate. I can ride for several hours, then go do it again the next day. I just turn up the power the next day and can go just as fast as the day before. On my analog bike, I was hurting for days after a ride, and wouldn't even consider trying to ride the next day. The only problem is the added capability of this bike is making me want to do things I probably shouldn't be at my age. I'm going off jumps, blowing through rock gardens, and taking lines I never would have considered on my 120mm Spec Camber Pro. These bikes are a lot of money, but its the best money I have spend when I factor in the fun and exercise factor I'm getting back. I thought I'd still want to ride my analog Camber, but after getting some time on the Levo, I haven't ridden it a single time. I just have SO much more fun on the Levo, the Camber is just collecting dust.

This is exactly the kind of thing that I'm hoping for.
I'm glad to hear that you're up and about a lot more, finding things easier too.

Feel your pain too, exactly the same experience here. Fine going about on a normal bike, pay for it tenfold.

Motorcycle accident back in 94 where my left knee took the brunt of it.
Both knees are making noises, like you're walking on a gravel path all the time :D

Here's to old age and new technology 🙂

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
This is exactly the kind of thing that I'm hoping for.
I'm glad to hear that you're up and about a lot more, finding things easier too.

Feel your pain too, exactly the same experience here. Fine going about on a normal bike, pay for it tenfold.

Motorcycle accident back in 94 where my left knee took the brunt of it.
Both knees are making noises, like you're walking on a gravel path all the time :D

Here's to old age and new technology 🙂
There a though, EP8 knee replacements 😂😂😂😂

Sunburntwily

Jan 28, 2021
Australia
I built the cheeb during the lock downs. Still trying to figure out the best way to ride it. At 65 I'm bombing down hills over jumps and stuff I never even tried 30 years ago. I love this thing and as I built it myself I know it inside out etc. Only thing I'm not sure about is when I ride uphill and sometimes on road it feels more like a spin class than I bike ride. I have ridden my mates KTM emtb. (Very heavy in comparison) and still felt like a spin class. Not sure if that's how it is with these bikes or maybe my riding style is all wrong. Anyway having an absolute blast and as stated above riding longer in the saddle and all weekend. (BTW would not consider hard tail myself with Emtb energy lost in rear suspension is irrelevant)

audistwo

Jan 3, 2023
Angus
I built the cheeb during the lock downs. Still trying to figure out the best way to ride it. At 65 I'm bombing down hills over jumps and stuff I never even tried 30 years ago. I love this thing and as I built it myself I know it inside out etc. Only thing I'm not sure about is when I ride uphill and sometimes on road it feels more like a spin class than I bike ride. I have ridden my mates KTM emtb. (Very heavy in comparison) and still felt like a spin class. Not sure if that's how it is with these bikes or maybe my riding style is all wrong. Anyway having an absolute blast and as stated above riding longer in the saddle and all weekend. (BTW would not consider hard tail myself with Emtb energy lost in rear suspension is irrelevant)

I appreciate all input, and very glad to hear how much you have been enjoying riding.
What was your preference before? Did you have both hardtail and full suspension?
Just curious (y):)

To be honest, I've lost a bit of bottle over the years. Not as confident and feeling more fragile. Plus I don't want to be damaged/healing when I should be going away for work.
Blasting over jumps may not be at the top of my list 😁😁

Sunburntwily

Jan 28, 2021
Australia
I appreciate all input, and very glad to hear how much you have been enjoying riding.
What was your preference before? Did you have both hardtail and full suspension?
Just curious (y):)

To be honest, I've lost a bit of bottle over the years. Not as confident and feeling more fragile. Plus I don't want to be damaged/healing when I should be going away for work.
Blasting over jumps may not be at the top of my list 😁😁
The geometry of bikes today gives you so much confidence. And deservedly so they just handle everything so much better. I started decade's ago on a hardtail. I wanted it light and easy to throw around. My first full suspension was a V900 canondale. I would never go back to hard tail. I have this dislike of unsprung weight and to me an ebike is heavy and should be fully suspended. Also I'm not keen on hub motors either. Nothing wrong with them just not for me.

audistwo

Jan 3, 2023
Angus
The geometry of bikes today gives you so much confidence. And deservedly so they just handle everything so much better. I started decade's ago on a hardtail. I wanted it light and easy to throw around. My first full suspension was a V900 canondale. I would never go back to hard tail. I have this dislike of unsprung weight and to me an ebike is heavy and should be fully suspended. Also I'm not keen on hub motors either. Nothing wrong with them just not for me.

Totally agree. The way things have evolved it's amazing. With the amount of travel and absorption they have, no wonder people are going higher and farther with jumps.

I've had a shot of a pretty well sorted full suspension bike last year, non battery. Was very impressed how comfortable and confident I was with it in a very short time.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Totally agree. The way things have evolved it's amazing. With the amount of travel and absorption they have, no wonder people are going higher and farther with jumps.

I've had a shot of a pretty well sorted full suspension bike last year, non battery. Was very impressed how comfortable and confident I was with it in a very short time.
So why are you buying a hardtail ?

audistwo

Jan 3, 2023
Angus
So why are you buying a hardtail ?

It would be a waste on me, I've no real desire to jump and go large, never really did jumps before to be honest.

Even when I was blasting about on 250 crossers, I'd be fine on flat tracks and the berms but never felt comfortable jumping.

Can't justify the extra expense to go for a decent full sus, when the hard tail will do me just fine.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
It would be a waste on me, I've no real desire to jump and go large, never really did jumps before to be honest.

Even when I was blasting about on 250 crossers, I'd be fine on flat tracks and the berms but never felt comfortable jumping.

Can't justify the extra expense to go for a decent full sus, when the hard tail will do me just fine.
OK..I totally get the expense bit ..but having a full sus isn't just about tackling jumps / getting big air ..to my mind its more about overall comfort ..and will be a whole lot more comfortable than any hardtail ..whatever the terrain
Edit : slightly off topic ..which is your Audi of choice ?

audistwo

Jan 3, 2023
Angus
OK..I totally get the expense bit ..but having a full sus isn't just about tackling jumps / getting big air ..to my mind its more about overall comfort ..and will be a whole lot more comfortable than any hardtail ..whatever the terrain
Edit : slightly off topic ..which is your Audi of choice ?

Yeah, I understand that. There's also the set up/maintenance side too.

I'll go with a suspension seat post and save a bit of cash 😁

On the Audi side of things, I owned a S2 a number of years ago. Shouldn't have sold it, but hey ho.

Yan

Jan 8, 2023
France
Bonjour à tous,
heureux possesseur d'un vttae cube e reaction Exc 750. Acheté en Avril 2022.
J en profite un maximum en France, sur les routes de Meuse.
Au plaisir

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Wow! Do I so agree with that post! I could parallel each comment with something slightly different, but the thrust is the same! :love:

audistwo

Jan 3, 2023
Angus
Wow! Do I so agree with that post! I could parallel each comment with something slightly different, but the thrust is the same! :love:

I'm wondering if we should start up a separate thread, so we can assist and help others on how we manage pain relief, joint care and wellbeing 😁 😁 😁😁(y):D

I find CBD oil a great help, was using the capsules, but didn't think too much of them.

baddon

Jan 1, 2023
Near Belfast
I echo a lot on this thread (48 with a bad back) just collected my new eST900 Rockrider - Hardtail and will defo be getting a suspension seat post.
I want to take it when I take the caravan away for the weekend so weight is an issue for me as well so the hardtail is my compromise (price was a factor as well)

Good luck and will keep an eye on what you get and how you get on. Look after the knees's

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles