Old fart on an E-Mtb

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
Cheers for letting me in, old fart , new to E-Mtbs, think I started on the oxygen powered ones in late 80s (jeez!) . Just got my Mondi Crafty RR delivered today after just over 8months wait time (fark) during which I appear to have worn out my 7 yr old Ibis so its arrived in the nick of time & that goes double for my legs & lungs. After a quick unbox , setup tweak , E-widgets familiarisation , I took it out on local trails and surprised at how agile it was given its inert weight . Load of fun.
IMG_4093.jpg

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
Looks like a nice bike. How old a fart are ya? Just turned 63 yesterday, eBiking is a blast and Im in as good shape as Ive ever been. You're going to love it!

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Ditto the above, just clocked over the 60,000km myself, you find you'll be making up any excuse to get out for a ride. Ebikes were made for old farts and those intelligent youngsters that know a good thing when they see it. ENJOY

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
Looks like a nice bike. How old a fart are ya? Just turned 63 yesterday, eBiking is a blast and Im in as good shape as Ive ever been. You're going to love it!
Pushing the high end of my 50's . Just weighed the Crafty and its 26.3Kgs as delivered with pedals, oof ! dont think I'll be lifting it over any 5 bar gates unless I fix/strengthen my creaky shoulders .

Last edited:

TrailMix

New member here. I'm happy to have discovered emtbs - looking to purchase my first one in the coming weeks. And I qualify as an Old Fart, seeing most of the folks on my local trails and Instragram emtb posts are early 40s tops. 52.5K miles here, located in North Carolina USA. Potentially Northern Ireland in the next few years, so I'm happy to see this is such a global community. I've ridden an 'acoustic' mtb for about a year, and been on dual-sport motos for many more years. I'm done with motos, and the mtbs are fun on the trails but kick this old man's ass, so the emtb I think is gonna be the sweet spot for me. Here in my neck of the woods Trek and Specialized seem to be the most popular, and at the moment I'm eyeing the Rail 7. Looking forward to following and learning from and being inspired by you all.

Jerulator

Aug 6, 2022
San Jose, Ca
I have to punch the same time clock here (63 years). I also ride (dare I say combustion engine) dirt bikes since forever. Sort of new to emtb’s, but enjoying them just as much as a 4-stroke dirt bike (not as much as a 2-stroke though). Looking forward to contributing and learning much here !

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I'm also heading towards the 61,000km mark and loving it. Also as fit as I ever was, largely due to the eMTB. Long challenging rides is what does it for me.
Also windFoiling when I can.
Here's a Ride I did with a couple of other same age old farts on Sunday.
Great video and thanks for sharing....but I have to mention the elephant in the room...HELMET!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Helmet is there. Robbie takes it off when going uphill or on the flat. Puts it on when the riding gets a little more dangerous.

Secret Agent

Aug 31, 2022
Cheers for letting me in, old fart , new to E-Mtbs, think I started on the oxygen powered ones in late 80s (jeez!) . Just got my Mondi Crafty RR delivered today after just over 8months wait time (fark) during which I appear to have worn out my 7 yr old Ibis so its arrived in the nick of time & that goes double for my legs & lungs. After a quick unbox , setup tweak , E-widgets familiarisation , I took it out on local trails and surprised at how agile it was given its inert weight . Load of fun. View attachment 93823
You cant get a better bike than the RR!! I'm 59 and have the crafty R and feel like a kid again. Have fun and be safe!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
At 63 I felt like Superman! I didn't have any pain anywhere while I was riding and I could ride for miles and miles. Then the knee pain started (turned out to be arthritis). I went steadily downhill with what I could do on an mtb. Then I bought an emtb at the age of 68. And with a bound I was free! Now at 71 on my second emtb and once again I feel like Superman! :love::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Pushing the high end of my 50's . Just weighed the Crafty and its 26.3Kgs as delivered with pedals, oof ! dont think I'll be lifting it over any 5 bar gates unless I fix/strengthen my creaky shoulders .
THATS NOT OLD! 82 here and still going but I do catch myself using EMTB mode more these days.
I thought my R&M Delight Mountain was heavy @ 27kg so I dont feel quite so bad to hear about your 26.3
Have fun it doesnt get much better than an EMTB.

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
THATS NOT OLD! 82 here and still going but I do catch myself using EMTB mode more these days.
I thought my R&M Delight Mountain was heavy @ 27kg so I dont feel quite so bad to hear about your 26.3
Have fun it doesnt get much better than an EMTB.
82!!! You are forgiven for using EMTB mode; kudos to you sir. 60+ eBikers rule!

Last edited:

Chunky

Subscriber
Dec 26, 2019
South England
Wow, well done and keep going
I feel like a child at 54. On my second emtb. Trying to find the right f Started with a giant then moved onto a Specialized Levo SL. Battery not good enough so moving again.
Trying to figure out what to buy.

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
Wow, well done and keep going
I feel like a child at 54. On my second emtb. Trying to find the right f Started with a giant then moved onto a Specialized Levo SL. Battery not good enough so moving again.
Trying to figure out what to buy.
The Spectral ON are at a very good price.
If you want bosch you have the Neuron ON and the Strive ON. I do not recommend engines other than 1° Bosch and 2° Shimano

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
I'm not old only 65 done 21.000km last 3 years summer and winter on roads and trails with 65% lung capacity.
Great fun!

View attachment 126304 View attachment 126305
Bravo for you. I have 61 and 6 years with ebike, I already broke 2 engines, every day I can between 30 and 60 km of Trail. My palmares El 1° +30000 km->rip,
the 2nd +23000 km->rip,
The 3rd which is the one I use now goes for +4000 km

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Bravo for you. I have 61 and 6 years with ebike, I already broke 2 engines, every day I can between 30 and 60 km of Trail. My palmares El 1° +30000 km->rip,
the 2nd +23000 km->rip,
The 3rd which is the one I use now goes for +4000 km
I haven't broken any motors but due to a disagreement about age in brain and body I have broken a wrist couple of ribs a collarbone, pelvis and a few concussions in 3 years so Brose is still going strong no problem whatsoever.
Since may Levo has gone ~3000km and looking forward to to winter season in Norway.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I haven't broken any motors but due to a disagreement about age in brain and body I have broken a wrist couple of ribs a collarbone, pelvis and a few concussions in 3 years so Brose is still going strong no problem whatsoever.
Since may Levo has gone ~3000km and looking forward to to winter season in Norway.
Yes, I can confirm (at 67) that synchronizing testosterone level and body-brain capacity is most difficult. Many OTBs on the first emtb (27.5 Trance), doing better now with Reign E+2. 😎

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles