Ohlins RXF 36 setup

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
Following the use Ohlins user guide and trying to set up the fork, I notice the instructions mention a blue dial, and the black dial.
When trying to adjust my forks rebound, I notice that I don't have a black at all (as pictured here)

Very Confused?

OHLINS RFX 36 FORK

Mountain Bike Suspension | RXF 36 Fork Front Fork | Öhlins USA

It seems I am missing the rebound adjustments?

Anyone else have the adjustments or are you missing them too ?

Last edited:

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
I'll check them out, I've also noticed my motor appears to cause drag, not disengage when I'm on a flat and stop pedalling below 15mph it's like engine braking, is there a list of known issues and fixes anywhere?

I think his posts were about the shock not the fork.

Do your forks look like the one in the manual, do you have a black circular dial under your blue one on the front left fork for adjustments
Manual states it's there and describes how to set up the fork but I don't have the dial mentioned in the instructions.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I think that manual is for the fork on the S-Works, it’s a slightly different (higher) spec than on our bikes.

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
I think that manual is for the fork on the S-Works, it’s a slightly different (higher) spec than on our bikes.

So you don't have the manual adjustment dial under the blue one either then I guess.

How are we to adjust them if we don't have adjustment dials that are mentioned in the instruction manual ???

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
No I don’t have it on my ohlins either all good. Same manual covers several fork models.

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
Ok so while this fork is a Ohlins RXF 36 it's actually a cut down version (with out the tuning capabilities) So it loses low or high speed rebound adjustments. Strange they didn't Change the product number or model number considering the loss of features and capabilities.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Just low speed tuning, it works well and gives good feedback I’m pretty happy with it so far.

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
Just low speed tuning, it works well and gives good feedback I’m pretty happy with it so far.

I am finding that the blue dial must be fully rotated to the right otherwise the front feels really loose, how where do did you find was the sweet spot for your riding style?

Also am I right in saying the ohlins / expert models don't have QR due to their size, is that the official reason?

Last edited:

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Around the seven off of maximum, try a couple of clicks of rebound that should calm the front end down a little. What psi are you running front and rear?

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
I'll try dropping a few clicks and see, it felt awful when fully open just felt like the steering was disconnected from the bars at high speed on tight trails.

PSI in the shocks or tyres :) I'm tuning around 24psi in the front and 26psi in the rear after testing. I feel this gives me good road/trail feel overall. I tried 15psi but again it felt poor due to the increased weight of the bike vs my lighter bike which runs around that pressure.

What about you?

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
PSI in the fork?

I was told to fill the bottom (ramp chamber) first and then the top (main chamber)

On big hits\bottom outs, I'm finding air leaking from the main chamber into the ramp up.

Also, i'm getting fork dive on really really steep trails.

I'm approx 93kg (with all biking kit); Ramp up is 240 psi and Mail 140psi

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
PSI in the fork?

I was told to fill the bottom (ramp chamber) first and then the top (main chamber)

On big hits\bottom outs, I'm finding air leaking from the main chamber into the ramp up.

Also, i'm getting fork dive on really really steep trails.

I'm approx 93kg (with all biking kit); Ramp up is 240 psi and Mail 140psi

I gave you tyre pressures :)

Front Shocks were filled bottom first, and then top chamber filled to what was detailed on the fork for my weight (around 80kg with backpack) around 170psi I think.

Ramp around 190 I think And damper fully turned to the right, but I do like a stiff ride as it gives me more confidence in the front end which is feel is lacking when the front is less dampened.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I'll try dropping a few clicks and see, it felt awful when fully open just felt like the steering was disconnected from the bars at high speed on tight trails.

PSI in the shocks or tyres :) I'm tuning around 24psi in the front and 26psi in the rear after testing. I feel this gives me good road/trail feel overall. I tried 15psi but again it felt poor due to the increased weight of the bike vs my lighter bike which runs around that pressure.

What about you?
Hi
The disconnected feel may be the carbon wheels less centrifugal force. Also try a lower pressure that’s sounds a tad high I’m 100 kgs and run 22 rear 19 front and an running tubeless.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles