Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
That looks good, thanks for the example. I currently live in the Netherlands (flat I know) but most of the trails I ride are really spread out so that's why an Emtb appeals to me. I often go to the gravity parks in Germany too hence why I feel the Kenevo is the one for me.

Batesyripper

Apr 23, 2018
Gwent
If you are putting a lot of effort in so does the bike up to its maximum power level. It eats up the battery a lot quicker especially if you were grinding up those 3700’ like you would on a regular bike. I fall foul of this regularly jumping onto the ebike after spending time on my analogue bike or if you go out as an ebike group.
I only use my Shimano display for two things, battery level and the assist level bar graph. It’s a quick visual reference for if you are loading the system up a lot.
I was grindin up the climbs!

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
If you are putting a lot of effort in so does the bike up to its maximum power level. It eats up the battery a lot quicker especially if you were grinding up those 3700’ like you would on a regular bike. I fall foul of this regularly jumping onto the ebike after spending time on my analogue bike or if you go out as an ebike group.
I only use my Shimano display for two things, battery level and the assist level bar graph. It’s a quick visual reference for if you are loading the system up a lot.
I was grindin up the climbs!

If you want the range sometimes you have to drop a gear or two and spin to share the load

It’s good fun to have an hour & a half thrash session and go as hard as you can to see how much can be crammed in though!

Batesyripper

Apr 23, 2018
Gwent
If you want the range sometimes you have to drop a gear or two and spin to share the load

It’s good fun to have an hour & a half thrash session and go as hard as you can to see how much can be crammed in though!
it's very good fun and also a very good workout as long as that's acceptable to wipe out a battery in 1.5 hours then I'm fine with it?

Batesyripper

Apr 23, 2018
Gwent
Can you buy a spare battery for a Kenevo? Link anyone?
spare batteries are £700 unfortunately here is a link
https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/1...mparison+Engine&utm_campaign=LeisurelakeBikes
However I am waiting for a 3rd party company who are producing a bolt on extra type battery. I have heard they are going to be around half the cost and it would mean you could carry the battery on the bike not in a pack.
Search on Facebook for levo range extender
Se connecter à Facebook | Facebook

Randall_Flagg

Apr 29, 2018
Gnarsville, Switzerland
spare batteries are £700 unfortunately here is a link
https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/141689/products/specialized-turbo-levo-battery-with-rock-guard-black.aspx?awc=6914_1525759367_2f789ff888b06e050dbf6db459717d42&utm_source=https://www.shoptail.eu/&utm_medium=Comparison+Engine&utm_campaign=LeisurelakeBikes
However I am waiting for a 3rd party company who are producing a bolt on extra type battery. I have heard they are going to be around half the cost and it would mean you could carry the battery on the bike not in a pack.
Search on Facebook for levo range extender
Se connecter à Facebook | Facebook

Thanks mate, I assume that the Levo and Kenevo have the same battery?

Salvie69

Apr 15, 2018
Cornwall
Hi all, just a quick question about ohlins coil spring.
How is the rear sag set up?
Spring rate is within a few pounds of my weight.
Can’t seem to find anything online.
If anyone could point me in the right direction.
Cheers ?

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi all, just a quick question about ohlins coil spring.
How is the rear sag set up?
Spring rate is within a few pounds of my weight.
Can’t seem to find anything online.
If anyone could point me in the right direction.
Cheers ?

Hi,

You need to know a few things before you can work this out.

1. Do you want 28% sag (Firmish) or 33% sag (Plush)?
2. Your weight with all your riding gear on, helmet, pack with full bladder, knee and elbow guards etc.
3. We know the travel of the Kenevo is 180mm which is 7.08 inches
4. The stroke of the shock is 57mm. (Got this off the Spealized Website, hopefully this is correct as it wasn’t for my Levo)

The above info allows you to work out what spring you need on your bike. Not sure what size Kenevo you have but the info is below. Depending on what you weigh with all your kit on will determine if you have the correct spring on your bike or whether you may need to change it.

Ohlins TTX Coil spring
Small: 411 lb/in,
Medium: 457 lb/in,
Large: 502 lb/in,
XLarge: 548 lb/in
Eye to eye and stroke 216 x 57

You should only use 1 to 2 full turns of pre load to set your sag, no more. If you need more then you need a heavier spring.

If you send me your weight with all your kit on and your spring weight of your spring (It will be written on the side of the actual spring) I will hopefully be able to assist you.

Salvie69

Apr 15, 2018
Cornwall
Hi Kiwi in Wales, much appreciated.
Ok, Kenevo is medium with a 457 spring.
I’m 89kg fully loaded.
This chart below is telling me, medium spring is ok for my weight. Hopefully!
Is it just a case of measuring movement of spring from unladen to sitting in bike?
Cheers for reply. Very helpful
Salvie

7D6B0B6D-6E5D-4BFD-BD64-92CA7639785D.jpeg

Salvie69

Apr 15, 2018
Cornwall
Found the set up instructions .
Slid bump stop to top of shock , sat on bike and measured .
Running 28% sag.
Will have a play around with it now.
Cheers for help

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
The spring rates shown in the table (post #72), don't seem to jive with stock spring rates. A small frame comes with 411 lb/in which is for a 84 kg (185lb) rider?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
That table says at the top its for a Demo not a Kenevo. Different geometry and bike weight, so spring rates would be different

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Salvie69 has actually sat on his bike fully kitted up and the sag is 28% so this is a good starting point for his Öhlins rear shock set up. I am sure he will be able to decide what he wants to change or not change after a few rides.

It makes the table which you are correct, is definitely for a different bike, more or less irrelevant.

Salvie69

Apr 15, 2018
Cornwall
Cheers guys, just checked I should have roughly a 90nm spring. 80 is obviously not man enough for my fat arse.
Tried finding a spring but everywhere is out of stock on the larger rated springs!

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Salvie69,

In my opinion I would not bother if you are running at 28% sag at the moment.

I just checked my sag and I am running at 33% to 35% and after 5 months of fairly hard riding I have never felt it bottom out yet.

Entirely up to you though ?

A point to note on a coil shock on an ebike that can skew your sag measurement.

Believe it or not, just the weight of your ebike will cause your coil shock to sag by around 1 to 2 or even 3mm. As the Kenevo is a bit heavier it may be the latter.

You can check this by using a fine tip marker pen to mark around the shock shaft as it enters the shock body. Then all you need to do is grab the front triangle of the bike just above the rear shock near the rear mount and lift.

You will then see the shock extend and see the mark around the shock shaft move away from the shock body. You should be able to see this extra sag quite clearly as per the attached photo.

D5DD6942-516C-46CB-BCF3-17F245C7E4D6.jpeg

Salvie69

Apr 15, 2018
Cornwall
Cheers Kiwi in Wales ?
Just measuring sag again. Probably more like 30/31% sag.
Is there really any point in a different spring?
Just wondering if I put a higher rating spring on, will the bottom bracket be much higher?
Would I really notice a massive difference?
Probably not.
What frame have you got and roughly how heavy are you?
Cheers mate.
Appreciate the help ?

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Hi,
I’m 74kg butt naked an probably 80kg fully equipped. Have a M Kenevo. Never changed the spring. In my mind, if it feels good and you never bottom out, just go and ride an enjoy ?

Salvie69

Apr 15, 2018
Cornwall
Guys, got a question for you. I’m probably being stupid!
Front suspension has 180m travel. You measure it, you can see it has 180 travel.
The rear coil , I can’t see how it’s 180 m travel when it’s only got a 2.5” stroke!
180m is 7.5 inch’s.
Am I missing something? Is it measured as the complete shock ?
Cheers

villho

May 26, 2018
Siuntio,Finland
Yes, you are forgetting the leverage ratio. That means that 1 cm of travel at the rear wheel does not equal 1 cm of travel at the rear shock.

Leverage ratio varies from a bike to bike. It depends on the rear susp. linkage and how it's engineered. E.g. Levo has leverage ratio of about 3:1, which means that 1 cm of rear wheel travel equals only about 3 mm travel at the rear shock.

villho

May 26, 2018
Siuntio,Finland
...and if there is "loads of travel to spare", it may mean that the spring is too heavy. There is nothing wrong if a shock bottoms out and it's just a good thing, if full travel is being used during normal rides, but if the shock bottoms out harshly and does it often, then adjustments should be done (higher spring rate and/or more damping). However, if the suspension feels good: plush enough, supportive enough, rides high enough etc. keep calm and carry on riding.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I’m 74kg butt naked an probably 80kg fully equipped. Have a M Kenevo. Never changed the spring. In my mind, if it feels good and you never bottom out, just go and ride an enjoy ?

I'm about the same weight, ride a L Kenevo, spring feels good :) I might be tempted to go for a slightly softer spring, but this seems to work well.

Just go ride it :)

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Hi,
Seems that several people have spare batteries, how much does a spare battery for Kenevo/Levo cost?

coullit

Jun 13, 2018
Alicante Spain
Hell Rob :eek: that's a brilliant idea :devilish: But the question is ?

Are you a Masochist or a Sadist :confused:

Are you offering to ride it up hill, with the motor off yourself ? :oops: or are you proposing that someone else do it :LOL:

I think i'm defo a sadist in this scenario :D set it and I'll help watch :cool:

Any volunteers ?

:unsure: I know Kernow can't half peddle :)
maybe it was the tuning the setup can be changed on the computer, ie my giant doesn't have power mode only sport I have to get the software updated at a dealer and ill have it, but Sport mode is fine I climbed a mountain Saturday with it, here in Spain

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I was thinking it would be pretty interesting to rerun some of the tests that embn have run, but with less sponsorship bias. It really annoys me how their tests always come out in a draw.

@Rob Hancill how about doing ebikes vs uplift at fod or bpw sometime? See who can get the most laps in, allowing time for queueing for the uplift, etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles