Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Nice , love your use of language (n)

Perhaps if you took one out of the showroom and rode it, you would at least understand how it works.......:poop:
My sincerest and deepest apologies that you were offended by my use of profanity. I don’t like the Bosch system. You’re not going to convince me otherwise. You keep forcing the issue. I have spent plenty of time riding it. I don’t like it. Plenty of my customers love it. I have sold a dozens of bikes with it. It doesn’t suit my personal riding style, I don’t like it. It’s just my preference. I have nothing against Bosch. I go to all of their training seminars and tech courses, since their US headquarters is 10 minutes away. I have nothing against Bosch. They know how I feel about their drive systems. They are brilliant. I really like my bosch spark plugs in my Land Cruiser and my Bosch dishwasher is phenomenal.

I just ordered a new bike with Shimano Steps on it. I’ll spend a significant amount of time riding it before I make a judgment on it. Just like I do with any Ebike we decide to sell in our shop
Move on and troll someone else.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
My sincerest and deepest apologies that you were offended by my use of profanity. I don’t like the Bosch system. You’re not going to convince me otherwise. You keep forcing the issue. I have spent plenty of time riding it. I don’t like it. Plenty of my customers love it. I have sold a dozens of bikes with it. It doesn’t suit my personal riding style, I don’t like it. It’s just my preference. I have nothing against Bosch. I go to all of their training seminars and tech courses, since their US headquarters is 10 minutes away. I have nothing against Bosch. They know how I feel about their drive systems. They are brilliant. I really like my bosch spark plugs in my Land Cruiser and my Bosch dishwasher is phenomenal.

I just ordered a new bike with Shimano Steps on it. I’ll spend a significant amount of time riding it before I make a judgment on it. Just like I do with any Ebike we decide to sell in our shop
Move on and troll someone else.

Troll ? :confused:

I have no problem with you not liking the Bosch drive system, what so ever. I completely respect your right to have an opinion.

I do however think you have a responsibility as a "dealer" to at least get your facts right, especially when you decide to portray your personal 'opinions' as matters of 'fact'.

Anyone reading statements like,

"I don’t like the Bosch adaptive system because I have no choice in wether it changes modes or not". "It’s like an automatic transmission in a car"

Could very well be put off from purchasing the Bosch product, and that would be a great shame.

I am not looking for a apologies, just seeking clarity, on how Bosch's E-mtb mode, actually behaves.

I sincerely think, as a dealer you have a duty of care to be, if not impartial, at the very least, fair and objective. :(

Last edited:

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Was there any link to this? Or was this in an interview/off the page conversation?

Specialized Turbo Kenevo Expert 6Fattie Review | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

So, how’s it different to the Levo?

Pit the Kenevo directly against the S-Works Levo Carbon and you’ll note that the Kenevo’s handling isn’t quite as precise or as docile, which goes back to its more downhill-tuned geometry and extra 2.3 kilos. On technical sections the Levo is equally as well planted on the trails with its low centre of gravity, but the Kenevo strides ahead on rough and steep ground. The biggest surprise in our eyes is that despite having exactly the same motor (see above), the Kenevo isn’t able to convert as much power into speed as the Levo. We turned to the experts at Specialized for confirmation of this, and they nodded, citing its kinematics and slacker geometry as the causes.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Specialized Turbo Kenevo Expert 6Fattie Review | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

So, how’s it different to the Levo?

Pit the Kenevo directly against the S-Works Levo Carbon and you’ll note that the Kenevo’s handling isn’t quite as precise or as docile, which goes back to its more downhill-tuned geometry and extra 2.3 kilos. On technical sections the Levo is equally as well planted on the trails with its low centre of gravity, but the Kenevo strides ahead on rough and steep ground. The biggest surprise in our eyes is that despite having exactly the same motor (see above), the Kenevo isn’t able to convert as much power into speed as the Levo. We turned to the experts at Specialized for confirmation of this, and they nodded, citing its kinematics and slacker geometry as the causes.

Well here is something that might put a cat amongst the pigeons.

Please make sure you watch the entire video to the end. I know it is a one off test but it still shows good potential in both bikes even if the results are ........ watch the video ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I am hopefully getting a Kenevo to test from Specialized so I can do some direct comparisons between Levo and Kenevo.

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Well here is something that might put a cat amongst the pigeons.

Please make sure you watch the entire video to the end. I know it is a one off test but it still shows good potential in both bikes even if the results are ........ watch the video ?

Hi @Kiwi in Wales this was one of the earliest vids on EMBN. My conclusion to this is that the only way to get an honest opinion is to test yourself. Would be much more interesting if they started to pitch the Kenevo vs their Haibike. And I recon the skinny guy to perform that test, 5 min climb and a rough fast decent. Hi can really push those bikes, I don’t believe that the “other” guy have those riding skills. But to rap things up on your video. If the longer travel bikes clib as good as the short travel bikes you might as well go full beasts mode!!

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi @Kiwi in Wales this was one of the earliest vids on EMBN. My conclusion to this is that the only way to get an honest opinion is to test yourself. Would be much more interesting if they started to pitch the Kenevo vs their Haibike. And I recon the skinny guy to perform that test, 5 min climb and a rough fast decent. Hi can really push those bikes, I don’t believe that the “other” guy have those riding skills. But to rap things up on your video. If the longer travel bikes clib as good as the short travel bikes you might as well go full beasts mode!!

Unfortunately, I can’t afford a Kenevo at the moment so I have just finished creating my own version of it stealing parts from my various analogue bikes.

B2C31C88-D7CD-4C0D-A744-31AE29A6A3A9.jpeg
DCEC7C10-8347-4D2A-8C59-085CA835036B.jpeg
4DA87CF9-89E4-4FD9-86F4-5A10A59DB0BE.jpeg

Last edited:

Kenevo1971

Mar 21, 2018
Cumbria
Hi, I’ve not long purchased my new 2018 Specialized Kenevo, I am looking for some advice on the power assist settings, I have tried running the eco at 5% and trail at 30%, which worked fine on the trail centre rides, but out in the lakes it felt like I was pedalling with the brakes on, I want to get around at least 30 miles in one charge with 5000ft of climbing, I’ve managed 25 miles with a 5000ft climb but only had 12% battery when finished, can anyone share there settings and distance covered on a charge.

Thanks Paul

Dfriz

Mar 16, 2018
USA
Hi, I’ve not long purchased my new 2018 Specialized Kenevo, I am looking for some advice on the power assist settings, I have tried running the eco at 5% and trail at 30%, which worked fine on the trail centre rides, but out in the lakes it felt like I was pedalling with the brakes on, I want to get around at least 30 miles in one charge with 5000ft of climbing, I’ve managed 25 miles with a 5000ft climb but only had 12% battery when finished, can anyone share there settings and distance covered on a charge.

Thanks Paul
I run 20 45 70 on my Kenevo and ride 3-4 times before charging

Tucker

Apr 12, 2018
Hull

Thanks Paul

i did 30miles 3400ft the other day with around 8% left, that was with the standard tune, i did abuse turbo a lot, going to wales in a few weeks so going to try and eek out as much milage as i can out of the battery.
Strava Cyclist Profile | Tucker ..

Reactions: Bis

Batesyripper

Apr 23, 2018
Gwent
Hi All, new to the forum. Recent new owner of kenevo. Looking for some advice please reference battery life. Im using settings of 20, 40, 60 with motor current 20 and yesterday got down to 7% in just over 1.5hrs with 13.8miles and 3700ft of climbing. From what I have read it looks like most people get a lot more? I was mostly using trail and was riding quite hard I would say. Any advice on this please, I was expecting it to last better than this! Apart from this I am in love with the bike:)

Salvie69

Apr 15, 2018
Cornwall
Hi, I picked up my Kenevo last week and done a bit of riding over weekend.
Rode mine on trail 60% and some turbo 80%.
13 miles 987ft climbing.
1 hr 40 minutes.
Came back with 69% battery.
I’d say you should be getting a lot more on battery life considering the low power settings.
I’m 89kg . My 2018 levo comp I’ve just traded in. Could get 18 miles on full turbo mode. 32 miles combined turbo / trail.
I think the Kenevo will be slightly less due to the slightly heavier chassis and bigger suspension.
Maybe another member could shed more light .
Hope you get it sorted

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Hi All, new to the forum. Recent new owner of kenevo. Looking for some advice please reference battery life. Im using settings of 20, 40, 60 with motor current 20 and yesterday got down to 7% in just over 1.5hrs with 13.8miles and 3700ft of climbing. From what I have read it looks like most people get a lot more? I was mostly using trail and was riding quite hard I would say. Any advice on this please, I was expecting it to last better than this! Apart from this I am in love with the bike:)
How was your cadence? The Brose motor really likes high cadence for efficiency. Did you upload the ride log from Mission Control to Strava to check this?

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
Hi all, completely new to emtb and am really interested in getting a kenevo so I am able to go on longer days out in the saddle . My only worry is that one review I watched stated that to ride 25 miles+ you would have to have it in eco mode the whole ride and it's a big effort to ride it then. My question is, if it's just as much effort riding the Lenovo in eco than riding a normal mtb, if so then why even bother? P.s. I haven't demo'd one yet but I will be soon before buying.
Edd

Tucker

Apr 12, 2018
Hull
Hi all, completely new to emtb and am really interested in getting a kenevo so I am able to go on longer days out in the saddle . My only worry is that one review I watched stated that to ride 25 miles+ you would have to have it in eco mode the whole ride and it's a big effort to ride it then. My question is, if it's just as much effort riding the Lenovo in eco than riding a normal mtb, if so then why even bother? P.s. I haven't demo'd one yet but I will be soon before buying.
Edd

sounds like a load of bollox to me that dude, this ride was done mostly in turbo.

the keneveo is the perfect e-bike for hitting big stuff and off-piste type trails! however if your type of riding is more trail centres i would choose the Levo as it will be a bit more efficient for that.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

sounds like a load of bollox to me that dude, this ride was done mostly in turbo.

the keneveo is the perfect e-bike for hitting big stuff and off-piste type trails! however if your type of riding is more trail centres i would choose the Levo as it will be a bit more efficient for that.
Bang on there mate.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire

If you are putting a lot of effort in so does the bike up to its maximum power level. It eats up the battery a lot quicker especially if you were grinding up those 3700’ like you would on a regular bike. I fall foul of this regularly jumping onto the ebike after spending time on my analogue bike or if you go out as an ebike group.
I only use my Shimano display for two things, battery level and the assist level bar graph. It’s a quick visual reference for if you are loading the system up a lot.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles