Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Both the rims and the quality of the hubs on the original Kenevo, Roval are crap! Changed bearings twice in the rear wheel, once in front, and now the bearings in the boss are f.... used it for 5 months and 420km. And of course many, many rimdings. I just orderd a ebike specific wheelset, DT Swiss H1700, and are really looking forward to try it and see how that is going. If you can afford the Reserve, go for it! And please keep me posted for uptdates on how it's handeling the abuse :) BTW I'll be installing CushCore. Are currently running 2 huck norris in the back wheel with 23psi (i'm 73kg)

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the reserves are a bit of a tough $$ pill to swallow, but I am leaning that direction. This bike is so plush already, having less compliance with carbon might be of benefit. I have a fairly big dent on my rear rim, but it doesn't seem to be leaking too much. I use Stan's race sealant which does a great job and sealing pretty much anything from a leak standpoint.

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
Could anyone do me favour that has a kenevo expert with the ohlins shock. I’m chasing some quick measurements from the shock.
- Bottom spring plate to top shock bolt
- bottom spring plate to bottom of shock body.

Apologies for my dodgy diagram below but you get the general idea of what I’m after.
251670A3-72BC-47BC-B03B-28FE33C60520.jpeg

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
On this weekend i had the first chance to test the mudhuggers. They did a pretty good job protecting my face and the rear joints, coil&spring and the back of the motor housing. Have a look here, you clearly see where the dirt goes and where not (so much):

IMG_4423.jpg
IMG_4424.jpg
IMG_4425.jpg

Yes i know, that's nothing compared to real muddy conditions ;)

Adam

Nov 20, 2018
Plymouth, UK
Could anyone do me favour that has a kenevo expert with the ohlins shock. I’m chasing some quick measurements from the shock.
- Bottom spring plate to top shock bolt
- bottom spring plate to bottom of shock body.

Apologies for my dodgy diagram below but you get the general idea of what I’m after.
View attachment 8090

What do you need the measurements for? Planning on swapping the shock?

Ti Springs claims the Kenevo has a shock stroke of 2.25" Specialized Kenevo E-Bike Springs

The faq here says that the shock has a eye to eye equivalent of 216mm and stroke of 63mm 2018 Specialized Levo and Kenevo info thread and FAQ - EMTB Forums

So does this chart on TFTuned Specialized Turbo Levo and Kenevo BikeYokes - Shock Parts - TF Tuned
But the TFtuned chart is relating to the shock size required if using that yoke to convert the bike away from the standard mount. I'm not sure if using the yoke changes the required shock size.
The thing is though, that 216mm equals 8.5" and 63mm equals a stroke length of 2.5"

Which doesn't add up to me because you wouldn't want a 2.25" spring as TiSprings suggest on a 2.5" stroke shock like the faq and TFtuned chart show, as it'd result in a spring that could get possibly coil bound before the shock has used all it's travel.

You have the Kenevo Comp, what markings are on the Fox spring it came with at the moment. It should probably say the stroke length of the spring on there.

I hope some of that has helped at all.

Studo

Aug 25, 2018
Bristol
On this weekend i had the first chance to test the mudhuggers. They did a pretty good job protecting my face and the rear joints, coil&spring and the back of the motor housing. Have a look here, you clearly see where the dirt goes and where not (so much):

View attachment 8162
View attachment 8163
View attachment 8164

Which specific huggers did you go for?
Thanks

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
Just had my first ride on my new Kenevo Expert. I was very pleased, especially impressed with the motor. I did 19km with 980m climbing using 64% of the battery. I'm a pretty big guy, 6'6" and 17 stone, so range will always be a bit of an issue for me. Has anyone who has changed their tyres to 2.5/2.6s found that it made a noticeable difference to the range?
Also I need to get a stiffer spring, as with the one fitted (548 lb/in) my sag is about 50% I've spoken with Ohlins and they have recommended a 112N/mm / 640lb/in from the Specialized Enduro range. Does anyone know of anyone else who who make a spring of roughly that rate that would fit on the kenevo?

On another thread in the "for sale" section, member @73Steff mentioned that he has a 640 spring available.

lcdavies5

Nov 1, 2018
South Wales

View attachment 8162
View attachment 8163
View attachment 8164

I did the same on the rear, had trouble when it got very muddy so I had to remove it. Not a lot of clearance back there between the frame and tyre with those Butchers. But it was VERRRY muddy.

Studo

Aug 25, 2018
Bristol
Thanks for the heads up. I've actually just got a 674 from J-Tech Suspension. It seems that Ohlins have started to make bigger springs for heavy Kenevo riders. If anyone is looking for a nearly new (118km) 548 coil please get in touch
Hi there, sent you a pm.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Which specific huggers did you go for?
Thanks

Hey, it's the "front race long" Version on both wheels. On the rear i had to cut off 2-3cm to made a nice fit. Also some added holes were needed in the mudhugger, to be able to strap it tight.

I did the same on the rear, had trouble when it got very muddy so I had to remove it. Not a lot of clearance back there between the frame and tyre with those Butchers. But it was VERRRY muddy.

Yes indeed - not much clearance! I regularly get small rocks or twigs in between. The rocks smash through, but twigs got catched 2-3 times already and i had to stop and remove them. That's the downside, but it's not that of a big bummer to me, since it doesn't happen too often.

travo

Nov 2, 2018
bracknell
After wavering between a giant trance E and a kenevo I've finally got myself a kenevo, ended up on a large after walking into the shop and finding they had a green 2017 on a really good deal. Not the colour I would have liked but the deal was way too good to pass up.

Anyhow, first ride today and pretty pleased with it so far. Only thing I noticed is the motor seemed to have reduced power on one climb (turbo mode) and stopped working altogether a bit later, a quick on off fixed it, is this something they do occasionally, or is it signs of a problem? Just to add it was pretty wet.

Also hate the Wu dropper. And those butchers can get a bit unpredictable when pushed, easy to sort though. Just means spending yet more cash...

TheLexus

Sep 22, 2018
Germany/Saxony
Sizing is tricky, we talked about it a lot earlier in this thread iirc. A big factor is length of torso vs length of legs.

Fwiw, I'm 6'3 and ride a large and am very happy with it. Iirc Rob is about the same height, maybe a touch shorter, and rides a XL.

Whats your leg length compared to robs??

Diggs390

Dec 18, 2018
Lincs
Hi all , I'm hopefully going to order a kenevo expert tomorrow , I did sit on a large levo yesterday and if felt good , but I believe the kenevo is a little bigger ?.
I'm 5.10 with 32 inside leg so between sizes on the specialized chart .
Any advice on size would be welcome .
Chris

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I'm 5
Hi all , I'm hopefully going to order a kenevo expert tomorrow , I did sit on a large levo yesterday and if felt good , but I believe the kenevo is a little bigger ?.
Chris
I'm 5'9 or 176 cm and riding M size Kenovo. Sits like a glove.
But it depends on the length of your torso and hands. Can you test M size also?

But I think L should be good for you

idahoskiguy

May 16, 2018
Idaho USA
At 6'4" 210 lbs and a 36" inseam the Kenevo XL fits me perfectly. Yes the XL Kenevo is a very big bike and I love it! So capable in all conditions, uphill, downhill, trails, and general riding I don't see trading this bike off anytime soon. My poor Stumpjumper is gathering dust.

travo

Nov 2, 2018
bracknell
I recently had the same dilemma
Chris
I recently had the same dilemma, (5'10 and a bit) I ended up on a large after the walking into the local dealer and getting an awesome deal on a 2018 model.
I'd tried both and thought I'd prefer a medium coming from a medium giant reign.

As it turns out the large fits really well, the only thing I had issue with was the WU seat post being too high (and an utter pile of rubbish) which I've now remedied with a 125mm reverb, the bike now feels like a better fit than my giant did

george

Jan 10, 2019
Chile
Oooo baby, in love with this gal. I've ridden the 18' Levo, 19' Levo, 19' Kenevo Comp, and decided on the 19' Kenevo Expert. So stoked!! It feels similair to my Enduro Expert but the Lyrik and Ohlins TTX really sets it apart. Pump those 2.8" butchers up to 23 front psi, 26 rear and they hook up well. This bike absolutely rips out of the box. Those questioning between the comp and expert, if you can swing the extra $ it's worth it. The higher end suspension, 38mm internal width wheels, and larger battery paired with the 1.3rx motor really make the difference. The comp was still a blast, I prefer its non tilting seat post, and I was however, able to get more distance out of the comp in full turbo mode vs full turbo mode on the expert, probably because the motor isn't able to consume/output as much power, there for not pushing you as fast or hard up the steeps. View attachment 6306
View attachment 6307
Love this bike too! I cant stop ride my bike!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles