Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Hi,
I’m just looking for some advice after just purchasing a Kenevo. I’ve only been out once so far just to get a feel for the bike. It climbs like an absolute demon in turbo but when on the flat and power down to Eco it is like riding with the brakes on. It feels like a massive effort and doesn’t gain any momentum whatsoever. It feels like this when freewheeling also! Am I missing something? Does anyone turn the motor completely off when on flat/downhill? I know it’s a heavier bike but something just doesn’t seem right.... If anyone could help it would be appreciated!
Did you mean, power off mode or eco mode?
Eco mode you can fine tune via mobile app

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Are you running tubeless?

I used to turn mine off on decents, now I have turned eco down to 10%, I just set it to eco. Most of the time I ride in trail, set on 50%, works well and gets a decent range. Obviously this is weight dependent, I'm about 80kg with gear and water

Studo

Aug 25, 2018
Bristol
Hi,
I’m just looking for some advice after just purchasing a Kenevo. I’ve only been out once so far just to get a feel for the bike. It climbs like an absolute demon in turbo but when on the flat and power down to Eco it is like riding with the brakes on. It feels like a massive effort and doesn’t gain any momentum whatsoever. It feels like this when freewheeling also! Am I missing something? Does anyone turn the motor completely off when on flat/downhill? I know it’s a heavier bike but something just doesn’t seem right.... If anyone could help it would be appreciated!
I felt a similar experience when I first purchased my kenevo. You have to remember that you are riding a bike that weighs twice as much as a normal mountain bike, with long travel suspension and high rolling resistance tyres. When you ride it in trial or turbo mode it obviously compensates for the extra weight and drag but when you hit the speed limiter that assistance disappears and it does feel like somebody is putting the brakes on. There disengagement is not instantaneous either so this definately also adds resistance until you push through it.
I found the best solution is to simply ride in eco mode on the flat adjusting the assistance level on the MC app so that you do not get up to the speed where the limiter kicks in which is between 15 and 16mph. This is still faster than you would typically go on a traditional mtb but definately feels as though you are being short changed! I try to convince myself that im just being greedy by wanting to go faster than this on the flat!
The other option is to download Blevo and remove the speed restrictor but this risks voiding warranty.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hi,

The reason why you don’t get a lot of support could be that your settings for ECO in Mission Control is set too low. When freewheeling there should be absolutely no drag so either your brakes are not adjusted correctly or there is something wrong with the engine/drivetrain.

Karsten

E-Bruni

Sep 26, 2018
Yorkshire
Are you running tubeless?

I used to turn mine off on decents, now I have turned eco down to 10%, I just set it to eco. Most of the time I ride in trail, set on 50%, works well and gets a decent range. Obviously this is weight dependent, I'm about 80kg with gear and water
Not tubeless yet Dax but will be. I haven’t messed about with mission control yet so I’ll see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the reply!

E-Bruni

Sep 26, 2018
Yorkshire
I felt a similar experience when I first purchased my kenevo. You have to remember that you are riding a bike that weighs twice as much as a normal mountain bike, with long travel suspension and high rolling resistance tyres. When you ride it in trial or turbo mode it obviously compensates for the extra weight and drag but when you hit the speed limiter that assistance disappears and it does feel like somebody is putting the brakes on. There disengagement is not instantaneous either so this definately also adds resistance until you push through it.
I found the best solution is to simply ride in eco mode on the flat adjusting the assistance level on the MC app so that you do not get up to the speed where the limiter kicks in which is between 15 and 16mph. This is still faster than you would typically go on a traditional mtb but definately feels as though you are being short changed! I try to convince myself that im just being greedy by wanting to go faster than this on the flat!
The other option is to download Blevo and remove the speed restrictor but this risks voiding warranty.
Cheers Studo, appreciate the detailed reply! I’ll have a look at mission control and see if that helps. What do you set your modes to?

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
The other question is, are you finding it like this on trails, or when test riding it on tarmac? The kenevo gets up to max speed on tarmac in about 4 pedal strokes, so it feels like you're working very hard to go above this. On trails, you tend not to hit the limiter anywhere near as much, so I find its much less noticeable

BGabor_hu

Sep 28, 2018
Hungary
hi all!
I want to buy a Turbo Kenevo Expert 2019. Question: Does the new 700 Wh capacity battery fit into the house or else its size?

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Sorry to bring this post up again but I need to make something you said clearer in my head.
So is 1 to 2 full turns from the point the collar made contact with the spring?
Ohlins shows a video installing a spring and they preload the spring with 2 turns before they install the shock on the bike.
So is the 1-2 full turns you recommend, after you preloaded the coil springs with the 2 turns Ohlins shows on the video?

I hope I made any sense lol :p

Apologies @pgtips I didnt get a notification on your post...
On the video was the bike they were fitting the rear shock to an ebike or a non ebike?

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Apologies @pgtips I didnt get a notification on your post...
On the video was the bike they were fitting the rear shock to an ebike or a non ebike?
Ha ha not a problem, thanks for replying.
Trying to find the video again but I'm struggling......But I'm sure it was on a non ebike bike.

Thanks.

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
back from reschen sölden and finale ligure

first of all: kenevo is awesome on difficult trails. lies fine on the trails, neutral im jumping

however i do not like 2 things apart from tyres but the butcher quality is common knowledge.

first the stock coil of oehlins damper is much too small. i recommend every kenevo buyer to check this in the shop. i already changes one size but coil is still too soft.

a real problem for me is the brake. having the xt on my specialized enduro and had the mt5 on my previous haibike nduro i wonder why i suddenly experience hurting finger from braking. i have the feeling that i need more pressure on the levers for getting enough brake power on long steep rides.

never had this negative experience before.
has anyone same problems? think of switching to other brake which has better brake power with less pressure necessary on brake levers.
has anyone recommendations?
profgruen

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
When I bought my Kenovo, the very first thing was.. changed the brakes to the new Shimano 4--piston XT and tires to Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.6 Addix Soft. Now waiting for Schwalbe's Eddy Current for rear tire. And handlebar to the Spank Vibracore

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
first the stock coil of oehlins damper is much too small. i recommend every kenevo buyer to check this in the shop. i already changes one size but coil is still too soft.

Nope. My stock coil is too firm. Sure you're not too heavy?

There's been a lot of talk on the brakes here, I run xt or saint on my other bikes and the srams feel different, I thought they are less good, but others have pointed out the srams have a lot more modulation and the shimano brakes are grabby which is why they feel more powerful. Whichever it is, the srams are going on eBay as soon as they need bleeding and its getting some saints

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
Being a complete mtb noob are all these changes personal choice and feel ....as I am considering the kenevo

Reactions: Dax

UKPHOTO

May 21, 2018
United Kingdom
Being a complete mtb noob are all these changes personal choice and feel ....as I am considering the kenevo
All personal preference.
Tyre choice often comes down to terrain you ride and personal comfort in their performance.
Brakes, well many are "used to" a certain brand. The std Code brakes have adjustment and you can painlessly change the pads for a different feel.
Neither are necessary but as with anything personal preference comes into play.
Best bet is to ride for awhile and then make informed decisions.
The Kenevo is a Very capable absolute weapon of a bike (much prefer mine to my previous Carbon Comp Levo, but it suits my purpose better).

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD

Yes. All personal preference, although ignoring the joking above, you should get the correct spring for your weight.

Some people on here have changed forks, brakes, wheels, etc, personally mine is a stock kenevo expert and it's fantastic, not just a great ebike, it's a great bike.

All I've done is fit Saint spd pedals, the only mods I have planned is changing the brakes when they need bleeding and getting a fork tune to improve the small bump sensitivity.

Jrwilliams7

Sep 15, 2018
California
73B3C26F-3FB4-4013-A6A1-F897FF0F71FF.jpeg

This bike is hands down a blast to ride, the extra travel gives so much more potential for DH to XC where as I would not DH a levo even the new one.

Two different bikes for different folks.

I’ve modded mine and intend to finish my build with a direct mount stem and carbon wheels, brakes are now 203 not 200 also.

I rode the levo for 2 weeks and for me this bike was a clear all around winner kenevo FTW.

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
yes i thougt while riding in ginale ligure that with a fox 40 the kenevo would not only be a enduro but kind of dh ebike ?

sure all modifications are personal choices. i dont stick to specific brands but felt in comparing the stock tyres and the mm dh ultrasoft that there is a distinct difference while comparing them on my home trails and during different conditions.

the brakes: first thing was to change the pads to organic pads as the stock pads tended to squeak.
concerning the necessary lever pressure i will discuss thus with my shop team and then decide what to do.

overall as written above the kenevo is a very fine enduro bike with enormous downhill capacity but good climbing qualities.

U40

Oct 5, 2018
Germany
Is the expert the extramoney worth? Did anybody compared the driving experiance between comp and expert? I will order a kenevo next week:love: But i dont know whitch:eek: thanks for every Information that will help to kill my sleepless nights

Jrwilliams7

Sep 15, 2018
California
Is the expert the extramoney worth? Did anybody compared the driving experiance between comp and expert? I will order a kenevo next week:love: But i dont know whitch:eek: thanks for every Information that will help to kill my sleepless nights

Yes it is. Just put the parts list and battery size side by side and you'll see why its worth the extra coin. The battery alone was the straw that broke the camels back in my purchase choice.

Reactions: U40

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
1. you have to try personally! nobody can tell you
if the comp or the expert parts suit you better.

2. some shops offer kind of battery upgrades. battery is a main topic - basically it depends on your riding distances/alt meters and - of course veery important - speed and support level of the motor. however if you want to ride more than 1000 alt.meter and 30 km forget the comp battery except using a low support level of the motor.

3. most important topic aside of the battery is the motor 1.2 which is weaker than the 1.3 in the expert. but we still had no chance to compare it on the trails.

4. finally - its the available colour ... i wanted black so i had to take the expert.

Reactions: U40

E-Bruni

Sep 26, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi,

Only had my Kenevo a couple of weeks but have noticed the öhlins spring coating is cracking. Has anyone else had this issue?
665DDA2E-B01D-4748-B634-1B739F950E39.jpeg
017AB214-1A87-4772-9581-B33F3703C3E7.jpeg

Jrwilliams7

Sep 15, 2018
California
hi all!
I want to buy a Turbo Kenevo Expert 2019. Question: Does the new 700 Wh capacity battery fit into the house or else its size?
The Kenevo comes with the 507 battery not the new 700wh battery. I have a 2019 and there was no change. Only the Levo got a full remodel. They also are not compatible. ?

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
no, springcoating is ok after 6 very hard riding days

only chainrings and chain has to be changed after 477 km. pretty early but motor power so strong and one doesnt use it smootj ... ?

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
Dear all, I'd like to ask to anyone who might know: why does Specialized equip the Brose 1.3 of the Kenevo Expert with only 3 motor levels? Other brands with brose motor supplies 4 levels.

I personally think that a 4. level would be great especially to adjust an off- (0%) level which would be quite helpful in the flat or slight down sections and road.

Does someone know if Specialized might intend to introduce a 4. level for the Kenevo motor. Think it should just be a software topic. Wrote to Spec but they didn't answer (you know, Austrian clients are not US, GB or Australia for them ...).

Thank you

Wolfgang

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles